Potty Training - Training Pull-ups or Underwear?

I'm planning to start potty-training my 2 1/2 year old daughter this weekend. She has all the readiness signs. And I have already been taking off her diaper at random times and if it's not wet, I set her on our toilet seat and she goes pee without any problem. She also goes pee before her bath regularly. Anyway, I'm not sure which is better or more helpful to train - should I start using training pull-ups when I go full-force potty training or should I use toddler underwear so she actually feels like the situation is different than with diapers? Are pull-ups too absorbent for a child to feel wet? Is there another option I should consider? And if so, where do I buy it?

I decided to go with princess underwear. The first day we only had two accidents and many successes. I'm on the 2nd day right now...and we've had FOUR accidents so far and we're only halfway through the day. I'm hoping this is the storm before the calm. I do think that underwear was the right choice though because her problem is mostly going poo in her underwear and I know she would have done it for sure in pull ups. All that gets wet and dirty is her underwear, her clothes, and her legs. We just keep her off the couch and on her little booster seat on the floor. So it hasn't been super bad. If you have any more advice about how to stop her from pooping in her pants, let me know!

Just underwear!!! :) I recently potty trained my son and I'm no pro -- but I have friends whose kids "save" their poop or pee for the pull-up at night. It just seems to send a mixed message.
If you have a waterproof mattress pad it's no big deal to throw everything in the washer...same with clothes. Yes, we still have an occasional accident but what's the difference if you're throwing something in the trash or in the washer?
Good luck!!!! :)

My two cents...pull-ups are a waste of time...put her in underwear. That's really the only way to seal the deal on potty training...

I don't care what anyone says-- Pull Ups are a ridiculous waste of money!!! Underwear is the way to go! I potty trained 3 of my own kids without purchasing one single Pull Up, and countless preschoolers years ago when I was a teacher.

Yep, pull-ups are more expensive diapers! I never made the connection with my kids that diapers were for babies so i never had a fight on my hands when I still needed to put a diaper on my son during potty training. My daughter is potty training now and she won't get pull-ups either. Bare bottom is also a good way to go. They really know what's going on then. I also found setting a timer in the beginning of training and making a huge deal about the pee pee bell going off and running to the bathroom helped too.

Pull-ups are pointless.

WHEN she is "ready".... these are great:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3...

It is the Gerber Training Pants.. that are lightly padded in the middle.
It is good and durable and lots less expensive than "Potty Scotty" training pants. Even my friend's Preschool recommends these Gerber underwear.
You can get it from Amazon, E-bay or Walmart has them.

I used it for my daughter, until she was 100% completely potty trained. And my son now uses it as well. I love these Gerber underwear.

Take potty training is steps... don't rush. And keep in mind that kids do have accidents. Take it in stride. To keep it in perspective... even Kindergarten kids have pee accidents. And its normal.
Potty ability, by nature, will have accidents. And regressions. And good days and bad days.

Then when she has COMPLETELY mastered toileting... then you can graduate to "real" underwear... that is not padded in the middle.
And yes, the padded Gerber underwear, the child can feel the wetness. It is not like a "diaper."

When she is at home.. you can just leave her bare bottomed.
When going out... if you leave her in underwear BEFORE she is completely competent at knowing her bladder and able... you WILL have accidents.... and it will be sabotaging for the child. Because, in the beginning, a child will not be able to "hold" it for too long... much less walking all that way to a public toilet in a mall & then standing in line for a bathroom stall, for example.

So when going out... in the beginning, until my child mastered their body/bladder... I took them out in diapers. They KNEW it was just for going out... and for sleeping and napping. At home, it was naked or Gerber underwear.... until they were FULLY fully fully bladder competent and in their awareness and body control.

I use(d) diapers for at night and naps. Because Pull-Ups don't hold much and it leaks. Useless. Just costs money.

Keep in mind, that for naps and sleeping at night... bladder control and night-time/nap time dryness... can take even until 7 years old. And this is normal per Pediatricians. Night-time dryness... is an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT process and construct. It is biological and has to do with the myelin nerve development as well.

"Pooping" on a toilet.... is also another stage of potty ability/training. For pooping... children often are slower to do this on a toilet/potty. And they may still want their diaper for pooping. Its a normal continuum. So you either make it a battle and force them to poop on a toilet or you don't & let them go at their own pace and comfort. Or, if not, they will get constipated and many toddlers will then actually "withhold" their poop and not poop... and then constipation will get worse... and then it will literally hurt them when the hardened poop comes out. So, just a head's up about the pooping part and toilet training. You do NOT want a child to get constipated or to start to "withhold" their poop out of anxiety.
good luck,
Susan

Pull-ups are garbage. Definitely go straight to underwear. Use the plastic covers over thick underwear for naps and night time at first. Get a plastic mattress cover (like 15 bucks at target) that you can leave on until they never have accidents anymore. I despise pull-ups--they are one of the biggest scams out there for moms. Peeing into a fancy diaper is not being potty trained. If she isn't ready for underwear than she isn't ready to be trained. Keep her in diapers until she is ready. Accidents in the beginning is part of the learning process. The first day she might have 10 accidents, but by the end of the week you'll be done! I have helped train many kids--the ones whose moms insisted on using pull-ups had twice the amount of accidents once switched to real underwear, took months compared to a week to train and regressed back into accidents more frequently after training was complete.

Good luck!!!! :)

I liked to use 'big girl panties' during the day, and just put a pull-up over the top of the panties at night... sort of like the old plastic pants. That way, if she doesn't pee, the pull-up (which can become expensive for some families) isn't 'dirty' and can be used again. And, if she does pee, she'll definitely feel it in the morning!

we let my son go to bed in underwear after peeing on self he got so sick of it he finally realized he wanted to try and pee in toilet and then bed and no drinks after 7

I agree with everyone else. Underware is the way to go. My daughter wears a diaper overnight (because I refuse to pay for pullups for sleeping in). My daughter trained herself in 2 days pee and poop. The first day she went on the potty we went to the store and she picked out her own panties. For about a week she was in diapers when we went out and after that she just wanted her big girl panties. She's had 2 accidents (in those first 2 days). So, don't waste the $ on pullups!

1 / 3