No Period for 15 Months After Baby

Hi there:

I read my Mamasource Daily Digest every day and think it might be my time to ask a question to you ladies out there.

My daughter will be 15 months old in a few days and I still don't have my period back. I am still breastfeeding twice a day (mornings after she gets up and when I come home from work in the evenings), but don't have much milk any more. I have to add that my body responds to little amounts of hormones (I was on the pill for 5 years before getting off to get pregnant, which happened in the 3rd month after stopping, and it was one of the lowest-dose pill available; never had any problems with it). Could it still be that my body produces enough hormones to keep my period away? I literally have nothing, not spotting, etc. And I am positively not pregnant. I'm not overly concerned, but would like to hear if there are other moms who were lucky enough (?) to be spared by their period for so long.

I'd greatly appreciate your input!

Cheers S.

Every body is different. With my second child my period didn't resume for 13 months, but it was 9 months with my first one and 8 months with my 3rd. Talk with your ob/gyn. You say you couldn't possibly be pregnant, but have him check anyway. You might be surprised, stranger things have happened. You didn't mention whether or not your were taking birth control pills.

Again, check with your dr, if you're not pregnant, consider this Mother Nature's gift to you for a few months!!

I wasn't so fortunate and my period came back about 7 months postpartum, but I was at a playdate earlier today and the host is now 16 months postpartum and hasn't started her period either. She is also nursing but I'm not sure how much.

My baby is 14 months and up until last night I was also nursing 2 times a day still (but dropped the night feeding last night) and I haven't had my period yet either. This is the same case for several women in my family - most didn't start getting their period again until a few months after stopping nursing all together. I guess we should just enjoy it while we can!

I started weening my first at a year old, I got pregnant the next month, so I was obviously ovulating...but did not start getting my period again until two months after I completely stopped breast feeding my second. I went from September of 2004 to August of 2008 without having one period.

I am also sensitive to hormones. My milk supply started drying up upon trying the mini pill after my second. I have tried 4 different pills and have always had uncomfortable cramping and such, so my husband got a vasectomy as our form of birth control.

1 / 3