Newborns and Poly-Vi-Sol

During one of the pediatrician appointments I had after my daughter was born (Dec. 27th), he suggested that since my baby is exclusively breast fed, I give her Poly-Vi-Sol vitamin D drops. And I said, I never gave these to my son (almost 3) and he told me that doctors just discovered that breast fed babies don't get enough vitamin D. So, I bought some but have been reluctant to give it to her. I just can't wrap my head around it... I mean, breast milk is the most complete food you can give your baby. That is the whole reason I'm nursing. I don't want to give her little tummy something artificial and manufactured in a factory. Maybe when she is a picky toddler and not eating enough from all the food groups, I will give her vitamin supplements. Seems like there is constantly some new safety/nutrition standard for kids every few months. My son was breast fed and never vitamin D drops and he is just fine. Anyone else feel this way. I was reading that this stuff tastes horrible too. I want to add too, that I get alot of sunlight in my house, so my kids are getting some vitamin D the natural way. I also take prenatal vitamins and drink a glass (or 2) of milk and drink orange juice fortified with calcium and vitamin D everyday.

Thanks for all the info. Lots of stuff I didn't know. Guess I'll try the vitamin with her and see how she takes it, but I want to research it more first. Just trying to wrap my head around it all.... been told one thing for so long and now you have to do something else instead. Plus I'm always hearing on the news how one thing that was supposed to be good for you isn't (and vice versa), then it's changed again. BUt in the end... I'm sticking with my 'mom' instinct.

Haven't read the other responses yet, but I'm right there with you T.. The pedi for my first daughter (we lived in another state) said the Vit D was just needed for dark-skinned babies as they're at more risk for getting rickets (we're white). Now, 2 years later, my new pedi said I should be giving my newborn the vit D drops, and I am also exclusively breastfeeding. I agree that they say breastmilk is the most complete so I am not giving them to her and I think she'll be fine.

Yep my pediatrician told me the same thing and my daughter is 7.5 yrs old. So its not new. Breast milk is missing something that they need to have and thats where the vitamin comes in. Nothing is perfect. Neither breast milk or formula.

I start giving my son these vitamins since he was 1 week, I trust his dr. with my life, so he told me to get them, and I did, he took them daily until he was 6 months and then we changed them to tri-vi-sol...

he actually liked the flavor of po li vi sol, i have apicky eater and he loved them...

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with some of the advice on here. Breastmilk is not complete; the one thing it is usually lacking is Vitamin D (because most of us mamas don't produce enough and aren't taking enough to pass it along to our little ones). As for your house having a lot of sun, most windows are meant to block a great proportion of UV rays, which is essential for Vit D production; and milk and OJ don't have that much useful Vit D. And while you're getting vitamin D from prenatals, the transfer to breastmilk isn't that great. And you have to be really careful with sun exposure, of course (baby skin, especially, is so sensitive... but sun is good for us humans, too... tough balance). All combined, though, it's hard to say how much Vit D your baby girl is getting (although it's very likely very far below the recommended daily 400 IU... so make of that whatever you will).

I am a HUGE proponent of trusting your gut when it comes to parenting, and believe me when I say I went through a similar dilemma when my daughter was born back in August (she is also breastfed exclusively, and I hate the idea of putting anything artificial into her little system). From my experience and research, however, I knew that she wasn't going to get enough vit D. We waited until she was a couple weeks old before trying the Poly-Vi-Sol. Bad idea. To this day, that has been the only thing that has made her vomit. Every time, explosive vomiting (which is so scary and sad when it's such a tiny little baby!). We decided to look into D-only drops (minus the other vitamins in the Poly-Vi-Sol... and yes, Enfamil makes a version with fewer vitamins--Tri-Vi-Sol maybe???-- and a D-only version--D-Vi-Sol, I think... but I don't know too much about either of those, specifically... sorry). So, we went with Carlson Ddrops (bought from Amazon for $14 or 15 for a "year" supply--365 drops), which have worked for us. The D is from lanolin, apparently, and the only other ingredient is fractionated coconut oil. One drop onto the nipple, and baby has her day's supply (although the whole 'getting the drop onto the nipple and coordinating getting a mouth on there right afterward' thing is not always so easy, but it happens eventually, haha). Anyhow, it may not be the perfect solution, but it was the best we could come up with here.

Hope you figure out what's best for you and yours, and congratulations on your wee one!!

[Btw, I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert, but for whatever it's worth, I did my undergrad thesis on Vitamin D, which is how I know some of this... plus, having my own baby bee and being similarly uncomfortable with putting any chemicals into her system, I've done some research since then as well... then again, most anyone can google, I guess! :) ]

I appreciate your concern, but understand that your Doctor has advised you to do this for your CHILD'S benefit.

They attend advanced school for YEARS and follow that with YEARS of training. The internet is not a substitute for their wisdom.

You should consult your doctor again before you make a decision against their medical advise.

Best to you and your kids.

We bought it to give to our twins, and they both spit it out disgusted. It stained every piece of cloth it touched, so we never gave it again. I asked their pediatrician about it. In his opinion we didn't need to supplement if I was getting enough vitamin D. He also said the research results are based on skin type because different skin absorbs different amounts of Vitamin D. So, depending on the color of your skin you will produce more or less of it. He told us lighter skin types don't need to worry as much but darker skin does. But, to avoid confusion the recommendation is that all babies need it. I know, this sounds weird, but I trusted my doctor when he said we didn't need to give it to our babies. I don't plan on giving to my next one due this summer.

The issue is that we are ALL deficient in vitamin D especially this time of year because we don't get very much sun exposure. Vitamin D doesn't really exist in foods, so the options are get her outside in sunshine every day (without sun screen) or give her the supplement. Your older kids ARE taking a vitamin D supplement, it's just in their milk (it's not naturally there... it's added, just like the drops), and it's added to formula as well which is why this is only an issue for breast fed babies.

HTH

Go with your gut! You have all the checks in the blocks, Mama. Don't worry about those drops!

If you eat a healthy diet, there is no need to give these to your child. There is concern for those who nurse who are extremely poor and cannot afford a healthy diet. A person/baby can get their daily recommended dose of Vit D with just 20 mins in the sun daily. The reason they recommend this is to prevent ricketts. It is not a necessary thing if you eat correctly.

Almost all Americans are deficient in vitamin D. That's why they suggest you giving it to your baby. Your baby won't get all the vitamin D that's in your body. Orange juice and Milk actually have very little useful vitamin D in it. Milk is not a very good source of Vitamin D, actually. Orange juice has synthetic Vitamin D.You don't synthetic vitamins for your baby, and you shouldn't want it for you!! The very best way, is to allow your baby sunscreen free, full sunlight. Very carefully and just a minute or two at a time. The reason why people never used to be Vitamin D deficient, is because doctors told patients to sit in the sun to heal. (and people spent more time outside.) You yourself need time in the full sun (NOT shade, or partial sun like in your house) with no sunscreen. The only way to get sufficient vitamin D, is to be sunscreen free. You can do this without getting burned, if you are doing it for short periods of time.

1 / 3