New to Area, Looking for Toddler Activities

We just moved to the Phoenix area and are looking for things to do to fill our days. I have a toddler, so I'm looking for places that would be of interest to her. I'm looking for inexpensive places, but all ideas will be gladly welcomed! THanks for you help!

The public libraries in Glendale are awesome. Especially the Main branch on 59th Avenue south of Peoria -- where the kids will love watching the peacocks and chickens which roam the grounds. They also offer lots of programs for kids. When my kids were younger we went there once a week.

Not sure what the cost is but, there is a My Little Gym off Bell and 83rdish. And off Thunderbird and 75thish is a swimming school. I believe it is called Hubbard. Arrowhead Mall (75th and Bell) has a playarea that my 19 month old son loves. There is a great park called Rio Vista off Thunderbird and right before 91st ave. They have an area for toddlers, area for older kids, you can let your kids fish there and they have a water area during the HOT summer. Welcome!

Welcome to Arizona. I moved here 3 years ago from the east coast and found a wonderful website. The site is http://gocitykids.parentsconnect.com/?area=175
We found plenty of useful information and fun things to do in the area. You can sign up for their free weekly newsletter and they will e-mail you with events going on in the area. Good luck.

You could always attend a Baby Boot Camp class at the Foothills Recreation and Aquatic Center on 55th ave and Union Hills. There are other mommies and their kiddos that you could meet. www.babybootcamp.com. Just search for the Glendale class by state. It is a great way to get in some exercise and teach healthy habits to your toddler. :)

Welcome to the Valley! Hope you feel settled soon!

Here is one of my favorite places: The Glendale Library. http://www.glendaleaz.com/Library/index.cfm
If you go to the site and look at the left hand side there is a link to "what's happening" and a sub-category of youth programs at the various branches. Most of the things are free and they are a lot of fun. Even if there is nothing scheduled, there are baskets of books and nice games and puzzles, especially at the Foothills Branch. Right next to the main branch on Brown and 59th Ave is also Saguaro Park with a huge play ground, grilling area and (my daughter's favourite) the historic ranch with free ranging chickens that like to get fed.

Then there is the Phoenix Zoo. We got an annual pass, so we can go on a whim and not worry about entry fees. That way we can also leave when either our daughter looses interest or it gets too hot or crowded. They open at 7:00 AM - perfect for the summer: Get there by 8 AM and leave by 10 : ) They always have something going on for kids. During the summer, they have a sprinkler play area which is great even for the little ones (as long as there are not too many bigger kids who simply do not pay attention...) http://www.phoenixzoo.org/

For a gazillion other things, check out the Parks and Rec site at : http://www.glendaleaz.com/parksandrecreation/index.cfm

And then there is an event site called Showup.com. They have a tab for kids activites and for free things, among many others!

Have fun!

Hi, Check with your local moms clubs. I googled them and found one for Goodyear. I know they have one for Glendale. They have many activities weekly and you can pick and choose what to attend. They even have a moms night out one time per month. It is a nice way to meet friends and doesnt have to cost you a thing other than membership fee 1x per year. Hope this helps.
Kim Rosene

When we moved into town I joined a MOMS club. Through that wondeful club I found so many great parks, indoor play areas, and fun inexpensive, free, and some costly activities. Not to mention joining a playgroup with other moms is a real bonus! Imagine a group like this meeting face to face so you can discuss all your issues or whatever and having other moms who are going through something similar. Meanwhile your child is making lasting friendships and so are you.

Welcome to the area, by the way.

I live in Peoria, and there is this wonderful park off of Thunderbird Rd. You take the 101 north to T-Bird. Make a left and go west. You will get into the right hand lane because your next turn will come up quickly. You will make a RIGHT on Rio Vista. Follow that street to the Rio Vista Park. There is a HUGE playground for toddlers, and another playground area for kids 5 years up to 12 years. My son, who is three, loves the big kid slides! So that's what he loves to do. Of course the battle comes when it's time to go home. LOL They also have a REC. Center for adults and kids. A Skate park (for skate boards), and a water fountain that they will turn on during the summer time and the kids can get wet. It's the shape of a turtle. :-) Also you can fish out there as well. You can reserve picnic areas for parties too! Great for family fun time! Hope this helps.

1 / 3