Need Help Removing Permanent Marker!

AAAHHHHH!!!! My son got ahold of the black permanent marker this morning! Luckily it was only on his clothes, a little on the arm, some on the trash can....The kicker, though, is that he drew some on the fridge! Any ideas how to get it off a stainless steel fridge? Thank you for the help in advance!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the wonderful tips! I tried writing over it with a dry erase marker, then wiping it off. It worked well - had to go over it a couple of times, then the green dry erase marker left a little bit of a green tint on the fridge. So I took a disinfectant wipe to it and it cleaned the tint right off. I will have to remember all the different suggestions cuz I know it's bound to happen again! Thanks again for all the responses!

If you have any friends that are Melaleuca customers, get them to order you some Solumel on their next order. It is an absolute life saver!! It gets permanent marker off of anything, I mean anything. . even things like wooden coffee tables, etc. It's kind of expensive but a small bottle will last you forever. It also gets things like grease, crayons, stuff like that off of most anything, including clothes. Ask around, chances are you know somebody that is already using their products and they can just get it for you. It seems like fingernail polish remover might work for stainless steel, but I wouldn't use that on most things because it would remove the finish also.

Have you tried the Magic Eraser? This removed permanent marker from an antique dresser that we had without removing any of the stain. It really is amazing! Hope this helps!

You may have already been told but WD-40, Avon skin-so-soft & or, lighter fluid for a cig. lighter will take it right off with very little scrubbing. You can scrub it out of his clothes with lighter fluid. Good luck.

Try fingernail polish remover. I am a teacher, and I often use permanent markers on charts, etc... it always comes off with fingernail polish remover in a snap. Hope it works on your fridge! :)

I use this stuff called OOPS. It comes in a small metal rectangular can. I get the sharpie off of nearly everything. As a matter of fact I have bought toys at garge sales with sharpie on them and the OOPS! takes it all off. I'm not kidding, 100%. The down side is that it sometimes takes off the "shiny" too, so you definitely can't use it for things like wood or melamine plastic. But I even used it the other day to take nail polish off my linoleum and it did not affect the finish. I think it would also not affect the finish of your fridge but you would want to try a little hidden spot first to make sure. I got it in a grocery store when we lived in IL but I bet you could get it at Walmart or maybe a grocery store around here. Good Luck!

Hey girl,
Not to sure about what to do on the trash can and the cloths but as for his skin, Mary Kay oil Free eye make up remover does wonders, I have used it on myself and on my duaghter.
Your fridge, try a dry erase marker, it takes it off of whiteboard. My husband suggests a "magic eraser" (by Mr.Clean)Check you cleaning isle. As for the Oil Free Eye Make-ep remover, I am a consultant and I can and will get you all you need. ###-###-####.
But in what ever you try GOOD LUCK.
L. Jo Peterson

My friend said that nail polish remover get out sharpie markers. You have a lot of great suggestions. Good luck.

Still looking for ideas? I used to remove Sharpie graffiti off classroom desks with Sol-u-mel (Melaleuca). I see someone else has recommended it. I second that!

i heard wd40 works great for getting out permanent marker.

I have had luck with using a magic eraser. THere are several brands, and I don't have a preference. It has taken permanent marker off our wood table and off kitchen countertops. It won't help on clothes or skin, but maybe it will work on the fridge. I have used hairspray on clothes--with a perm. marker it may just make it lighter: put a paper towel on the inside of the stain, spray hairspray on the ink, then repeatedly dab with a clean paper towel. Finish my spraying with stain remover. Good luck!

1 / 3