Need Help Removing Permanent Marker!

AAAHHHHH!!!! My son got ahold of the black permanent marker this morning! Luckily it was only on his clothes, a little on the arm, some on the trash can....The kicker, though, is that he drew some on the fridge! Any ideas how to get it off a stainless steel fridge? Thank you for the help in advance!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the wonderful tips! I tried writing over it with a dry erase marker, then wiping it off. It worked well - had to go over it a couple of times, then the green dry erase marker left a little bit of a green tint on the fridge. So I took a disinfectant wipe to it and it cleaned the tint right off. I will have to remember all the different suggestions cuz I know it's bound to happen again! Thanks again for all the responses!

If you have any friends that are Melaleuca customers, get them to order you some Solumel on their next order. It is an absolute life saver!! It gets permanent marker off of anything, I mean anything. . even things like wooden coffee tables, etc. It's kind of expensive but a small bottle will last you forever. It also gets things like grease, crayons, stuff like that off of most anything, including clothes. Ask around, chances are you know somebody that is already using their products and they can just get it for you. It seems like fingernail polish remover might work for stainless steel, but I wouldn't use that on most things because it would remove the finish also.

Have you tried the Magic Eraser? This removed permanent marker from an antique dresser that we had without removing any of the stain. It really is amazing! Hope this helps!

You may have already been told but WD-40, Avon skin-so-soft & or, lighter fluid for a cig. lighter will take it right off with very little scrubbing. You can scrub it out of his clothes with lighter fluid. Good luck.

Try fingernail polish remover. I am a teacher, and I often use permanent markers on charts, etc... it always comes off with fingernail polish remover in a snap. Hope it works on your fridge! :)

I use this stuff called OOPS. It comes in a small metal rectangular can. I get the sharpie off of nearly everything. As a matter of fact I have bought toys at garge sales with sharpie on them and the OOPS! takes it all off. I'm not kidding, 100%. The down side is that it sometimes takes off the "shiny" too, so you definitely can't use it for things like wood or melamine plastic. But I even used it the other day to take nail polish off my linoleum and it did not affect the finish. I think it would also not affect the finish of your fridge but you would want to try a little hidden spot first to make sure. I got it in a grocery store when we lived in IL but I bet you could get it at Walmart or maybe a grocery store around here. Good Luck!

Hey girl,
Not to sure about what to do on the trash can and the cloths but as for his skin, Mary Kay oil Free eye make up remover does wonders, I have used it on myself and on my duaghter.
Your fridge, try a dry erase marker, it takes it off of whiteboard. My husband suggests a "magic eraser" (by Mr.Clean)Check you cleaning isle. As for the Oil Free Eye Make-ep remover, I am a consultant and I can and will get you all you need. ###-###-####.
But in what ever you try GOOD LUCK.
L. Jo Peterson

My friend said that nail polish remover get out sharpie markers. You have a lot of great suggestions. Good luck.

Still looking for ideas? I used to remove Sharpie graffiti off classroom desks with Sol-u-mel (Melaleuca). I see someone else has recommended it. I second that!

i heard wd40 works great for getting out permanent marker.

I have had luck with using a magic eraser. THere are several brands, and I don't have a preference. It has taken permanent marker off our wood table and off kitchen countertops. It won't help on clothes or skin, but maybe it will work on the fridge. I have used hairspray on clothes--with a perm. marker it may just make it lighter: put a paper towel on the inside of the stain, spray hairspray on the ink, then repeatedly dab with a clean paper towel. Finish my spraying with stain remover. Good luck!

I hear WD40 works great.

You should try a Mr. Clean magic eraser. They really are like magic!! You should test it first just to make sure that it doesn't mess up your stainless steel finish. Hope it works!!!! A.

Hi A.

I clean all my stainless steel appliences with WD40. I know it sounds strange but it works for me.Don't spray it straight on the fridge, use a soft piece of cloth. I have never tried it with permanent marker stains. Let me know what finally worked for you. I'm sure my 2 little ones ( 4 and 5) might get the same idea one day.

P.

MR Clean Magic Eraser, works like a charm and no nasty chemicals to damage the finish on your fridge

Try a Magic Eraser or the stainless steeler cleaner. I've found if you combine the two it's about all that works. At least yours is black. :o) I just had to repaint my yellow entry posts due to purple and red Sharpie!!!

I used to work for the company that made MarksALot permanent markers. On non-porous surfaces, like white boards, you can remove permanent marker by going over it with a Dry Erase Marker! Try this on a small section of the marker...LET IT DRY COMPLETELY (a couple of seconds) and wipe with a dry soft cloth. I hope it helps!

M. Maidlow
Southern Living at HOME Consultant

WD-40 will take it right off. It will work on the clothes and trash can too but may take some color out of the clothes.

Mr clean magic eraser!!! Hands down the best invention for moms!!!

I'm a teacher and I've used Static Guard to get Sharpie off dry erase boards, posters, desks, etc. You just spray it on and then wipe off. You may want to test an area though to be sure it won't hurt the stainless steel (I've never tried it on something like that). You can even get Static Guard at the $1 store sometimes.

We had the exact same situation. My 2 yr. old drew on our stainless steel fridge. I thought it was a lost cause after trying to remove it with a magic eraser sponge. It sat there for almost 3 weeks until my MIL came to visit and she scrubbed it with the magic eraser sponge for about 30 min. It came off!!! The fridge doesn't look exactly the same, it's lack-luster on the rubbed spot, but I think a good polish would make it look much better. (Who has the time?)

SOFTSCRUB is a miracle performer if fridge is white or pale color can use softscrub with bleach!!! You might have to put some elbow grease in it but it will come out!

hair spray! spray some on there thick and it might as well be dry-erase. fear not, permanant marker is NOT the worst thing he could do! one of my best friends uses it as dry erase. lol

If you color over it with a dry erase marker and let it sit for a sec it will wipe right off.

Good luck. Your lucky mine had it all over everything including themselves. FYI toothpaste takes it off skin.

Purell (yes, I do mean the hand sanitizer) will take it right out. My 3 year old got ahold of the black sharpie once and wrote on herself, clothes, carpet, kitchen cabinets & furniture. Just squirt the Purell on there and it comes right up with very little effort! You cannot find one little spot of black sharpie any where. Good luck!

Avon's Skin So Soft bath oil on a cotton ball will take it right off!! www.youravon.com/suzannewebb

I have heard that if you take a dry erase marker and color over the permanent marker you should be able to wipe it all away!

My daughter wrote on the coffee table with a red permanent marker. My friend suggested a school eraser. It got a lot of the marks off. You might want to give it a try.

I dont know if it works for sure But Ive heard that rubbing finger nail polish remover on it should work.

rubbing alchohol might work...I know it takes permanent marker off skin, but not sure about stainless steel.

A. - Have you tried to use a Mr. Clean sponge? I'm not sure how it works on stainless steele but my daughter wrote on my counter top and it took it right off.

JS

Solumel works every time for me!