Need Help Breaking Pacifier Habit in Two Year Old

Hello. My soon-to-be 2-year-old daughter uses a pacifier at nap and bed time in the crib. I want to break this habit, but she is hooked (I know I should have done this long ago). I have begun taking it away at nap time first, but this results in hysterics until she eventually falls asleep from exhaustion. Should I wait until she is old enough to reason with better? Take it away cold turkey and let her scream until she's over it? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I have 4 kids and broke three of them this way (the 4th didn't take a pacifier). All were at least 2 when we did this. We talked to them for a week or two about how this is the only pacifier they have and when it wears out, it is gone. My daughter constantly left hers all over the house on the floor. We told her that if someone stepped on it, it may break and since it was her only one, that would be her last one. AFter talking and reminding her of this for several days, on a weekend (incase she couldn't sleep without it), we cut a little bit off of the top and put it back on the floor. The next time she picked it up, when it got in her mouth, she noticed that it was "broke". She said yuck, b/c it didn't feel good in her mouth. I told her she would have to throw it away. She went right to the trash and put it in. Later in the evening and at night, she would ask where it was. We would make HER tell us what happened to it. She would and then she was okay. She did fine that night. With my boys we did the same type of thing (cutting the tip off when they weren't looking after prepping them) and they did fine also. I think the key to breaking them is to prep them and talk about what happens when they "loose it" or "break it". We just helped them to do that. Good luck.

I have two children, both my children had a pacifier until they were about 2 or 3(teeth and all.) One day my daughter chewed it up so bad I just took it because I was scared she would choke on the rubber. I understand completely that was an outlet for me, my kids could not live without it. My son still had a bottle in preschool! The teachers actually got him off the bottle and pacifier. He had it so bad his grandmother nick named him "Binky Boy", he use to hate it! Just give it some time, kids have their own behavior and attitudes so when she is ready it will be easy.

I used the binky fairy with my daughter and it worked. My daughter was 3 and I told her that other babies needed her binky so the fairy would come and leave her a present for being a big girl and giving it to a baby who didn't have one. She said she really wanted a doctors kit so I bought one and wrote her a note from the fairy. It said how proud she was of her and what a big girl she was. It worked and all she has is her blanket and that is fine with me. Hope this might help you.

Hi there. Hope things are getting better for you. This may sound like a silly question, but do you happen to know anyone who is currently pregnant? If you do, you could always explain to your older child that binky's (or whatever they prefer to call it), is for baby's and what would you think about cleaning your passy and giving it to the baby so you can be the first one to give him/her one. That worked for two of my neices, but then again we know a lot of pregnant women hehehhe. Good luck I hope this can at least give you an idea of where to begin. Let us know how it goes.

My neighbor just had a baby and I told my son-who was almost 2 also-that now we have to give his "binky" to Alex. We brought them over in a cute little bag and gave them to Alex. Of course he didn't use them. We made sure that he had new ones that looked the same. My son has never asked for one after that day.

I also heard of using the binky fairy. Binky under the pillow and a surprise in the morning.

Hi Laury-
I have a two and a half year old girl who looooves her binkies, too. She takes them at naptime and at bedtime only. I hate to say this, but why make her stop? If she was a thumb-sucker, you wouldn't be able to take it away from her, right? At least with the binkies, you and I have it under "control" by basically having them use it at bedtime only. I just feel like there's no reason to rush them into something they're not ready for...aren't there enough things like that in life? My pediatrician told me she's not concerned with binky use/thumb sucking until well into the third year, so I decided there are enough hurdles we moms have to jump with two year olds. Also, I see that you have a little one, too. I have a five month old at home. Gaining a sibling is so traumatic and stressful to these little beings; more than we realize. If the pacifier helps with the adjustment (which believe me, takes longer than a few months) than so be it. I may be totally wrong, but I think there are so many other more important things to stress about, and I've never seen a twenty-year old walking around with a binky, sooo....contact me if you want to talk more about it!! Hope that helps!

There is another response like the one I'm going to give you. You do have to do it, cold turkey. She has to see you get rid of it. Throwing it away should work. That is how it worked for one of my attatched children. Once she saw it go in the trash, she never asked for it again.

hi laury,
I had the exact same problem with my daughter she is 2 1/2 and used it at nap, at bedtime and sometimes during the day when she got really irritated or tired, it got to point where we would have to make sure we had her bink bink to leave the house, i tried many times to take it away and everyone told me to just let her go and she will get rid of it on her own, but i thought it was time to let it go she will be in pre-school next year and i didn't want to have her taking that bink bink with her, and one day at the mall she put it down and left it in the store we lokked for it but had no luck finding it, i told her the bink bink princess came and took it away cause she is a big girl now, we got her a big bed and told her bink binks are for tiny babies only, she cried and fused and screamed a few nights then she just forgot about it she still has her moments but all in all she doesn't ask for her BB anymore.

I can tell you how I rid my baby of her ninnie and bottle with out so much as a tear. Children in this age hve a deal object permanance, so once they see something go away its gone forever. I got up early on a morning that the trash men came and I had my baby, when she was ready throw her bottle or her ninnie in the the trash truck. She stood and watched the trash truck crush it up with the other trash, she waved good bye to it and never asked again. You must make sure you throw all the ninnies awawy because if you have a few then the child will know this, plus if you have them around the house and the child asks for it later, you may be tempted to give it to them. I hope you try this and it works, let me know!! Good luck!

Honestly, you DO have to cold turkey it. What I would do though, because of the new little one in the house, is give her a special stuffed animal for now. Get her use to that going with her to bed as her little friend and then take it away. Just because of an added little body she has to share life with, she does need something given as a substitute, rather hten it just ripped from her with nothing else to turn to. We cold turkeyed both of ours at one. he oldest chucked it in the trash himself and KNEW he threw it away. the youngest got left and grandma's house at 9 months nad we said dont send it and we arent buying a new one. he was fine.
Good luck, H., 24--wife to Dave, mommy to Eann,3, Kieran,1, and Angel Hope, the little one who never made it here, 7/13/06

1 / 3