Weaning 12 Month Old off the Binky.

Hello All,
My little girl just turned one and she has been off her bottle and now a sippy cup and regular cup since she was 8 months old. Now the problem is she wants her binky more than ever. I really want to wean her off of it before she becomes aware of it and knows to ask for it, and before she gets older and harder. If anyone can please
give me idea it would be wonderful! Thanks and God bless

[[[SHE CURRENTLY HAS 3 ONE IS "LOST", I SNIPPED THE TIP OFF ONE, AND THE OTHER IS THERE FOR AN EMERGENCY (LIKE LAST NIGHT). SHE DOESNT KNOW HOW TO SOOTHE HERSELF TO SLEEP WHICH I AM TRYING TO GET HER USED TO. IS IT TOO HARSH TO DO BOTH AT THE SAME TIME? LAST NIGHT I STARTED AND AND I GAVE THE CUT BINKY AND SHE CRIED UNTIL I GAVE HER THE GOOD ONE BECAUSE SHE STARTED TO SUCK HER THUMB WHEN SHE REALIZED THE OTHER BINKY WAS NO GOOD.SHIULD I JUST WAIT UNTIL SHE'S OLDER AND SHE CAN UNDERSTAND THE BINKY FAIRY?]]]

So at first I went cold turkey but she decided to suck her thumb, so after a few "No" (she starting to understand what no means, I love it!) anywho...she stopped, so I gave her back her binky with the tip cut off but she took it anyways, so I went back to cold turkey with no thumb sucking, I gave her a really soft and cuddly lamb for to sleep and she loves it. So far the past 2 nights have been 10-15 of fussiness, but we're making progress. Thank you all for you responses!

ok, i wish i could help you, but i am in the same boat! my daughter is 13 months old (born 6/22/07)and I am worried that the longer it goes..the harder it will be to break, but i don't want her to have any kind of residual anxieties because it is gone. to tell you the truth, i am addicted to using it to soothe her as well.

if you get advice..please let me know.
A.

I've heard of people using the "binky fairy". They tell the child that when he is ready to be a big boy, he collects up all his binkies and leaves them for the binky fairy, and she will leave a prize in exchange for the binkies. The next day, they have balloons and some little gifts that would please a one year old, binkies all gone. That has been pretty successful for people. They understand that the binkies are gone for good that way. You coudl also make a big deal of throwing them all away, so that the little guy knows that they are gone and not coming back, but that might be more traumatic that the binky fairy.

You could do the cold turkey thing--be prepared for a few miserable nights. Or have her give them to the Binky Fairy (and replaced by the binky fairy with a new special lovey animal toy, etc.)
I like the idea of snipping the tip off--never tried that myself, but seems like it would work.

My sister-in-law was told by her dentist to get her 2 year old off the binky, but then my niece started sucking her thumb to supplement!! It is alot harder to get them off the thumb! Binky's are also considered orthodontic excersizers, and I think most doctors and dentists say it's o.k. until they are at least 2 years old. Remember to switch to a sippy cup with the straw by age two as well!

I snipped the tips off all the binky's! A women I worked with told me this trick, and it worked great. My daughter was 2 when I did this, and I never took them away, but I made sure to find each of her binky's (she had about 3 of them) and snip the tips off. It worked so well I was shocked! She put them in the garbage and said "Broken" and that was the end! Good Luck!

I don't think anywone would judge you if you waited untill she was old enough to understand the binky fairy. 12 months is still tiny. One of my daughters was 2 and a half. I waited untill the new baby arrived to explain that she needed them and they were for babies. Take your time and it will be fine :-)

My best advice is to JUST DO IT! No trick or gimmicks...just take them away. Your child will most likely be upset for a couple of days but then it will be over. Honestly, my experience with both kids was that it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Especially with my first son...I kept putting it off because I thought that he was so attached and when I finally took it away he was fine! I think that the binky was a crutch for me as much as for the kids because it was something that I knew would settle them down right away and stop the crying. Also, you are correct about it getting harder as she gets older and can cause more of a fuss and bigin verbalizing about the bink.

One more thing-they really do mess up the teeth. My oldest sons teeth are really bad because of the binky. He is 6 now and I feel so bad every time I look at his teeth knowing that I could have prevented it. He will undoubtedly need extensive orthodontia in the future.

I dealth with the very same issue twice. For my son I told a little white lie and said... we were "lending" his binkies to his baby cousin (who lived in another state). I packed them up like I was shipping them away and he even drew a picture to put in the box. They immediately went into my closet to hide away :) For my daughter I gradually "lost" a binky every few days. She used about five binkies and alternated them through out the day. When we got down to zero I told her we'd "take a good look" around the house/car/playroom etc and see if we could find the "missing" binkies. A few days later she said, "mommy, I don't need those binkies... binkies are for babies"! We never did "find" those "missing" binkies ;)

Hope that helped!

-M.

Oh the binky dilemma!!! 2 out of 3 of my kids were totally addicted to the binky! I didn't sweat it. One of my kids was actually old enough to understand that he needed to give his binky to santa and he did and never looked back. He didn't have any trouble and never asked for it again. You want to make sure the child is really ready to give it up or they may pick up thumb sucking to replace the binky. Thumb sucking is a MUCH harder habit to break and you can't take the thumb away :)!! I, as a mother, am not a big fan of the binky at all but the children do let it go in their time. You can help by starting not to let the child have it during the day while awake and playing and only for naps and bed time and then go from there. Just don't force the issue or you may find the child will want it even more and it becomes a control issue. My youngest just gave up his binky about 4 months ago and he'll be 3 in August!! Just be patient and before you know it you'll be binky free!!! Good luck!

With my boys I tell them it has to stay in there bed and they do fine with that. They can't get up until they put it down. My 18 month old I let him still have it in the car once in a while because if I don't bring his in the car he sucks him thumb. I don't want him to become a thumb sucker because that I can not take away. Be careful that she does not start sucking her thumb if she is not ready to give up the pacifer. Good Luck. I need to get my oldest off the pacifer after we move in the next few weeks.

1 / 3