Natural Pest Control - Lansing,MI

Hello moms! My husband and I recently moved into a new home and have discovered that we have an ant problem. I am 7 months pregnant and do not want my baby exposed to pesticides/harmful chemicals, but don't want the ants either! Does anyone have any suggestions on natural pest control? The ants are several kinds, some are outside, some are in my cupboards. Please help!

Thanks,

Ok, I washed everything down with vinegar, then mixed borax with sugar and put it everywhere they came in. Stubborn little pests kept finding new places to come in, but we persisted. After about 3 weeks they were gone. Three or so days later, another kind of ant, this one a big, black biting ant, started appearing. The borax had no effect. I sprayed peppermint oil, then lavender oil, no effect. I even sprayed my dog's natural flea repellant where they were coming in. They found other entrances. Finally, I broke down and put out the self-contained traps. They slowed them down a bit, but not for long. Yuck!!!! Our baby is due anytime, and I told my husband that after he is born my husband can spray his toxic chemicals to get rid of the ants. If they bite me, they will bite our baby. It seems that this house has just sat empty too long, the ants won't leave!

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas out there! This is such a wonderful site to share ideas!

We use cinnamon. Ants do not like it at all. They scatter immediately. We also used them with flying ants and it also worked. Good luck!

Ants won't cross chalk lines either, so, if you have some say, sidewalk chalk or something laying around (the thick ones), you could mark the doorways etc, but if I'm not mistaken it has to go on thick (not width wise, but a large amount of it) so you may need to scribble it back and forth to get the job done.

Hi M., the best thing that has worked for me is peppermint oil on cotton balls. My grandma use to do this, and passed it on to us. Just put the oil on the cotton balls and put them in the areas you see the ants. Good luck. B.

Haven't got a remedy for outside but I found that peppermint oil (not extract) is a wonderfully natural way to keep ants away. I've had problems with the little pests and since I have 2 very curious cats I wanted something safe for them to sniff around. You can find it at any store that sells cake supplies or perhaps a health food store. Just put a little on a piece of cotton and stuff the cotton into the corners around where you think they may be getting in. I actually put some in all the corners of my kitchen and around my exit door. In years past I'd have trails into the house. This year I have killed about 4! They say it works for lady bugs too.

I have used cornmeal outside. They eat it and can't digest it, so when they go back to their hole, they die. I'm sure this would work inside, but I am thinking that would be a little messy, unless you can pinpoint where they are coming and going. Cornmeal is safe for animals and children also!!

I agree with the baking soda/powdered sugar combo. They are attracted to the powdered sugar, but since they cannot pass gas, the baking soda kills them when they ingest the 2 together. We use this in the yard when we see a big anthill and it works great. I have never tried it in the house...but i am sure it would be the same results.

borax works very well (comet bon ami too) they will not cross a borax line - we use it outside
another thing that works well is avon skin so soft you can spray the cabinets and they tend to not come back

not saying these are super super chemical free but compared to the alternative -----

also diseginous earth (I am sure I spelled that wrong!) google it though and you can read about it :) its completely natural

I use Environmental Pest Control. Everything is 100% safe for kids and pets. All natural. They spray my house and I am good for the rest of the season. We had carpenter ants and 2 days after he sprayed, I haven't seen 1 single ant. I dont' know where you're located, but here is his their site

http://www.myants.com/

M. -
We had the same problem in our kitchen and couldn't seem to get rid of them. The bait traps didn't work and we were quickly overrun. I took one day and vacuumed up all the ants I could find and then watched to see where they were coming from. As soon as I found their source (a vent in the floor) I sprayed a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water on the vent and the floor around it. I didn't even wipe it up...just let it dry there. I did that every day for several days, and we haven't seen the ants since. I hope this may work for you. Good luck! :)

a little dish of vinegar set where they are helps keep them at bay. You can wipe down the counter tops etc. I have heard that cornmean works good and helps get rid of the entire nest because they carry it back.

Please be careful about organic or "natural" chemicals/pesticides, as they are chemicals too and since they are labeled the way they are, people think that they are safe. In fact a chemical is a chemical no matter what, and they can all be harmful if ingested.

1 / 3