Ants in Our House!

Help! We just discovered we have ants in our house and we are looking for a safe way to get rid of them. So far they are mostly by our sliding glass door that leads to our deck. The surface inside is hardwood flooring. We have a baby that crawls everywhere, so I am not sure if it's possible to spray anything on the floor because she would crawl right on it.
Any ideas?

Thank you all so much for all of the great ideas. We are going to try cornmeal to start with and then move on from there. Many of you suggested finding the ant trail. I can't seem to do that. They seem to be coming in from the outside wall by our deck, but I am not sure. The deck is off the second floor. Our dishwasher is right there, and they are around that area on the floor. Our house is only 6 months old, so the sealing should be fine around our slider. Any suggestions on how to find the ant trail?

Peppermint Essential Oil!! You can get at most health food stores or in the health food section of Fred Meyers). I just put a few drops on my sils or blocking the paths they are taking into the house. Ants hate it, it is safe for kids, it works for me every time I have a problem.

I also like using Peppermint Castile soap to wash my floors (I use Dr. Bronners Brand, also found in the health food section) and it keeps the bugs away, smells great and is safer for kids than any other floor cleaner.

I googled and found this interesting website:

http://www.grinningplanet.com/2004/04-27/ant-control-ant-...

I hope this helps L..

~Kate
‹(•¿•)›

Ants are drawn to moisture - you need to check out whether your sliding door has a good seal around it or if water is seeping in. If there is water in the wood around the door, you have other problems that need to be fixed besides the ants. The ants are a symptom, not the actual problem (in terms of damage to your house). Good luck!

We had ants in our basement and had to do lots of sealing to get rid of them. We also did a one-year contract with Terminix so that supply lines and nests would be cut off, that's something to consider too.

Buy a large container of Cayenne Pepper and make a line of it outside your sliding door. The ants will not cross it. This will give you time to get to the root of why they are living near your door and take care of that without having anything dangerous in your house.

I read somewhere that ants can be controlled by sprinkling cornmeal where they congregate. The ants see the cornmeal as food and take it to their nest. Unfortunately for the ants, they can't digest cornmeal and it kills them.
This is something absolutely safe to try. It won't hurt anyone bigger than an ant. If it doesn't work, the worst problem will be sweeping up cornmeal.

Ceyanne pepper all the way around the house. Just go buy yourself one of those large cans and sprinkle it around the house(right up close) if the cornmeal doesn't do it. If they are those giant ants, they only last for a couple of weeks. They like to come into the house at night when your lights are on. If that's the kind you're talking about just get rid of each one one at a time. Next time I'm also going to try the cornmeal. Sounds like a good plan.

We had been having the same problem for almost the whole year. My husband was at the local Fred Meyer's buying ant traps when a man wearing a uniform indicating that he was a bug exterminator stepped in line behind him. The man told my husband, seeing that he was dealing with ants, that the best thing is to spray 'Off' or another brand of mosquito repellant around the house inside and out (around the baseboards inside) or anywhere that we did not want ants. He says they don't like the repellant and it's 100% non-toxic and safe for kids and pets. We put it on our skin after all an that goes into our blood stream without any side affects.

We tried it in our pantry and they have been gone since we sprayed.

L.,
We use Hot Shot MaxAttrax Ant Bait. (they are black bait stations) I hide them in places that even our rabbit can't get into. It kills the queen and destroys the colony. I have seen it in action. It works.
You can get it at Lowe's.
I'm against chemicals especially around small children and pets. I always try to find an alternative. I never use sprays or the exterminator.
An alternative to the bait would be powder borax. Ants don't like it and they go away, but they don't die. The traps are the best.

Best of luck.

Never spray bug killer in the house. There is actually a combination of indoor chemicals that can cause leukemia. (I forgot what they were). Pesticides are one of the combination. The naturopathic community is aware of this but MDs are not.

You can put out ant traps - the kind where they take the food and bring it back to the nest. they can be put outside near the sliding door. Ants, fortunately, arent' that dirty, so I would be more concerned with the chemicals than with the ants with Baby.

1 / 3