My Daughter Lock Herself in the Room When Gets Angry

My daughter is three-year ten-month old. When she gets angry, she will run to her room, slam the door, lock it and refuse to open it no matter who knock on the door. I am afraid it won’t do her any good, but I don’t know how to deal with it properly. I don’t want to yell at her to force her to open the door, please help me.

My son did that once when he was little.
I took the door knob off the door.
Viola - no locked doors.

He is now 14 and never locks a door against me. He knows that now I will just take the door of the hinges. It's actually become a joke between us. But there will be no locked doors in my house.

You are the parent - she is the child - take back control.

Go get a screw driver and solve the problem today. You don't need to explain anything to her - just do it.

:)

Hi D.-

I would 'flip' the door handle so 'lock' button is on other side...only requires a phillips head screw driver...

NOT that I would know...
Michele/cat

Locking the door is inappropriate for her age and inconviniet for you, but it's not the real problem. The real problem is, she's upset and she wants to show you she's upset. Help her learn better ways to deal with that. Teach her that it's ok to be upset, we all get mad/angry/frustrated (it's really important to help her name the emotion), but we have to find better ways to deal with it.

Get a door handle that doesn't lock.

Where's the problem here? She's 3. Take the lock off her door.

I'd definitely take the lock off the door, she's 3 and doesnt require "privacy" yet.

Take the door off. Problem solved.

Yeah take the lock off or at least disable it. I srewdriver should do the trick. I would go a step further and take the whole door off since she likes to slam doors.

I took the door knob off the door.
Viola - no locked doors.

:)

Hi D.-

NOT that I would know...
Michele/cat

When our daughter started shutting the toy room door (to keep her baby brother out) we just removed the door. There is NO NEED FOR HER TO BEHAVE THIS WAY. If you want it stopped, you need to do something. REMOVE THE DOOR.

She can go to her room when she is upset. We all need a place to go for some peace and quiet some times. But locking herself in there and refusing to open is NOT okay.

You are the parent. Set the rules. stick to them. And discipline if they are not followed!

1 / 3