How to Make Door Quit Locking

my 3 yr old has figured out how to lock doors.he is constantly locking himself in rooms and then we have to pick the locks. right now i have all door knobs removed so he can't do this. it is an apartment so i cant just change the knobs. how do we make the doors where they wont lock????? any ideas besides removing door knobs???

Yes, you could reverse the knobs, but then how do you prevent him from locking YOU in a room?? Unless you plan on never having locking doorknobs, I would recommend doing it the hard way...teaching him NOT to lock the doors. After you get the door unlocked, put him in time out. EVERY time. If you're consistent, he will eventually learn, and then you won't have to worry anymore =)

Duct tape on the door socket. The part that is recessed into the wall-not the door itself.
My now 19 yr old locked herself in the bathroom one night. I was home alone and had to take the door off the hinges to get her out!! She was fine the whole time but I was worried about the dangers of the bathroom!!

Reverse the doorknobs so they lock from the outside.

Get some Finger Pinch Guards. They sell them at Toys R Us/Babies R Us in 2-packs and they're really cheap. You just put them on the door up high and they can't reach them or close the door all the way. I always keep one on my daughter's bedroom door and one on her bathroom.

throw a towel or something over the top of the door. saves little fingers too

I think in general he is old enough to be disciplined when he does this. Teach him not to do it!! Also, if he can do it, he should be capable of undoing it and unlocking the door, so tell him he must obey and unlock it when he is stuck.

However, there are some rooms that are dangerous for him to be locked in, on purpose or by accident, like th ekitchen or a bathroom... so I would change the doorknobs. Even in an apartment, I see no reason not to, you can always put the complex knobs back on. However, you should be able to find matching doorknobs at Home Depot that are the closet style (no locks). Complex might not even notice that change.

babies r us has safety first doorknob covers. you can't turn the knob w/o squeezing this cover. little ones can't squeeze & turn at the same time. and the cover blocks access to the locking parts. so adults can use doorknob, but little ones can't . easily removed when child grows out of this. we put them on our front and garage access doors so kids couldn't just leave the house when we weren't looking. also put them on closet doors and laundry room to keep them out of the detergents. powder room too!

You could try putting a piece of tape to hold the little thingy in. Your doors would still shut, but not latch.

I had the same problem. I just turned the door knob around and put the lock on the outside. Sorry for whoever needs to use the guest bathroom because they can't lock the door.

1 / 3