Just Had a Scary Thought...... Has This Ever Happened to You?

Hello ladies, hope ya are all having a good day. so this week I rearranged my toddlers room he's 18mths . I baby proofed it as good as I could and feel really good about him playing in there without me having to be in there the whole time. His room is only three steps from the living room and I can hear every move he makes and every toy he plays with. I have a five week old also this was my main reasoning for giving my toddler a safe play area so when I'm feeding baby or rocking him my toddler is enjoying himself and not fighting for my attention. So anyways this have been great and the playroom was a awesome idea but then today while I was sitting in my toddlers room with him playing he went over to the door and shut it and actually twisted the lock!! He has never done that before and it scared me so bad thank goodness of was in there with him. We have one on those door knobs that doesn't come w a key it just has the little hole on the other side of the door I freaked out thinking what would I have done if he locked himself in his room. He's not at the point where he understands to many things and would have no idea how to unlock it if I told him to. I plan getting one of those door knob covers tomorrow. But if he would have locked himself in there what should I have done? Call police? Fire dept? Busted out a window? Just wondering not that it will ever happen now that I'm aware he can play with the lock and twist it but I've just been beating myself up over what I would have done..." what would ya have done if it happened to you??

Would you like me to list the five hundred objects that can unlock that door starting with a hair pin and ending with the more manly tools like a screw driver?

Anything that is somewhat flat on the pointy end and less than a quarter inch or the diameter of the hole will open them.

The key is not to panic!

So now that you know how to unlock the door, you should also know a couple other tricks.

Sometimes a butter knife or credit card can be used by wedging them in the jam.

If the hinge is on the side you are, you can remove the three pins from the hinges with a flat screwdriver and hammer.

You can remove the "guts" from the door knob and leave the knobs in place. It allows the door to close and not latch.

A temporary fix to this problem is to use some duct paper over the latch. This will allow the door to not latch, but close (like the idea above).

Good luck mama!

There should be a long, skinny "key" to that type of doorknob. I keep those keys on top of the doorframe for just that occasion. My guys have done the same thing ;)

The key is not to panic!

Actually it happened to us....when my mom was here babysitting. She called us at work and although my husband left work & headed home, she was very freaked out as my son was getting more & more hysterical as time went on & he could not figure out the "unlock". She called 9-1-1. The police came in and said, very calmly, through the door, "Buddy, can you turn the lock?" "Click." He unlocked it himself. :) Kids!
Needless to say, he had a knob with no lock on his door the next day.

Good luck mama!

We took all locking door knobs off doors to rooms my kid uses. Her bedroom, the computer room and the spare room. Our bedroom and the bathrooms are lockable and they also only have the little hole in them. That hole is the way to unlock the door. Every door knob comes with a little hooked "key" which looks like the end of a very small flat-head screwdriver. They are small enough that, for each door with a lock, I have stored the corresponding key above the door on the wooden trim that outlines the door. (It bumps away from the wall just enough to tuck the key way up there.) My parents used to keep one key in their bathroom drawer and one key downstairs in the kitchen "junk-drawer" in case one of us kids locked ourselves in the bathroom.

If you bought your house with door knobs in tact, or are renting, and don't have access to the little keys that came with the doorknobs, you can buy replacements at various places. Here's a link to a couple of sites that sell them. When I bought my house the previous owners took all the knobs with them so I had to buy all new hardware. I've got a bunch of those little keys all over the place.

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Interior-Door-Replacement-...

http://www.totsafe.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9990&cat=2

In addition to many of the suggestions you've already gotten...we used to keep those things that look like foam 'C's on the kids doors...

https://img2.activant-inet.com/coop/truserv/image/g575654...

(My definition is lousy...lol)...Not only did that keep them from locking themselves in...it kept them from slamming the door...catching fingers...etc. We put it high up enough they couldn't remove it.

Not to scare you more, but even with the "safety knobs" people use, kids still know how to get them off and lock the doors. My nephew is one of them.

My advice to you is, go out and get a cheap door knob from your hardware store that doesnt have a lock on it and replace the door knob. Easy, peasy, and you have 100 percent assurance that you can always get in his room.

The doors with the lock on one side and the hole on the other are VERY EASY to unlock.

They either unlock by pushing a wire or toothpick or screwdriver in the hole and pushing slightly and turning the door knob. OR you use a very small flat tipped screw driver ("common" screwdriver) and turn the screw driver either clockwise or counter clockwise depending on the lock. Then twist the door knob and its open.

You can go to the door knob department at Home Depot and they will be glad to show you.

We kept a small screw driver on the doorsill when my kids were little for just such an occasion. We had to use it twice or three times a year with 8 kids. We now have one on the sill over the door for our grandkids and we have to use it once every other month.

Good luck to you and yours.

1 / 3