My Baby Poops Once a Week!!

Hi I have a 6 month old little girl. I started her on some solids around 4 months. Only good stuff, fresh, organic fruits and veggies...but mostly breast milk. She went from going every other day to every three days and now it's once a week. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort but it still worries me. My Dr. said not to worry, but I was wondering if anyone knew about a natural remedy that I might try.
p.s. she wont drink prune juice.
thanks a million!

My daughter did the same thing. Don't worry, if she isn't having any discomfort then just wait it out. My daughter did that for 3 months or so and then began going every couple of days and now about every day to every other day. Just wait and see how her system handles the new food! Good luck!

What worked for my little guy... pears and pear juice or apple juice. Applesauce is for stopping them up, but apple juice is good for loosening it up. Just remember to dilute the juice.... I did 50% water / 50% juice. I know it's scary for moms, as I was having the same trouble. But have peace of mind that she isn't in any discomfort... it is normal! :)

Suzanna, she may need more milk or water, all the food you give her has fiber in it and the fiber attracts the water to soften the poop and make it come out easy, so you shouldn't worry, just start her on a sippy cup of water and see how she does!

This is nothing to be alarmed about since you are breastfeeding. Breast milk is designed for baby humans, it is their perfect food, and because of that, there can be very little waste left over. I had four, and one of them was like this, going about once a week. Thankfully, he was my third so I simply did a bit of research, realized it was not an uncommon thing, and that was that. He is now 21 years old. Your doctor knows what he/she is talking about on this one... this must be your first child if you are counting poops! :0) No remedies are necessary because this is not a "problem" that needs to be fixed. Your daughter is not in pain, she is not uncomfortable, it is just the way her system utilizes her food at this stage in her life. If you must do something, try massage on her tummy or feet, or dilute some organic plum juice for her.

It's totally normal. So long as she's not in pain from it, you don't need to do anything. Just listen to your doctor.

My lactation consultant said she has one breastfed baby that only goes once every 10 days. It's because breastmilk is so fully usable, there's no waste.

Don't worry about it if she's not in any discomfort.

There's nothing wrong with your baby.... every baby is different. Your doctor is right :) So you don't need a remedy - just be grateful you have to change less poop diapers.

Suzanna,

Breastmilk is a natural laxative. You could try to increase the amount of breastmilk she's consuming. As long as she's not straining or uncomfortable, she's not constipated and as long as she's not showing any signs of dehydration or malnutrition, I really wouldn't worry about it.

mommy to 2 boys who were breastfed past one year

Starting at about 2 weeks old, my son only pooped once every 6-10 days! I was a little concerned, but the doctor said that as long as it's soft and he's not trying really hard to push it out, then it's fine - the breastmilk was just being so well digested that there wasn't a whole lot left over!

My point is not to worry about it - if everything else is okay, then you shouldn't mess around. Giving her diarrhea (or really loose stools) for no reason will be more disruptive than helpful! If, however, she's having a really hard time pushing out her poop or it's really hard, then try something else - fresh fruits and veggies are the best bet. You can also try giving prunes as a food once a week (rather than a juice) - that's what I give my son now (there's a prunes & oatmeal by one of the organic companies, although the name is escaping me at the moment!) to keep him regular - they're a good iron source as well, so once or twice a week is good for them!

Ask the dr. if there is any level of fiber you can give the child. Also look into giving her pieces of apple (I mean very small pieces that can be swallowed safely.)

Also, look into what type of fruits, juices, etc. have higher contents of fiber.

She is slowly becoming constipated so be very careful.

GET A 2nd opinion... doesn't seem right.

1 / 3