No Poopy Diapers

I am a first time mom and my almost 6 month old daughter has not had a poop in 4 days now. She is eating rice cereal and green veggies (peas and green beans) twice a day. Since she has been born she has always pooped at least once a day. She does not seem like she is in any pain or discomfort, but sometimes I see her pushing like she's trying to poop. I just want to know if this is normal and how long should I wait before calling her pediatrician.

Goodmorning S.
you said you daugter has a hard time with her B M my shild was the same way try another kind of cereal and see if she can drink few ounce of prune juice.
GOOD LUCK

I think you might want to stop giving her rice cereal. Maybe switch to oatmeai or something - anything but rice cereal. It really binds. I remember this with my son and I am experiencing it with my daughter now...I think I'm going to switch to oatmeal too because she just pooped today for the first time in 3 days. Best of luck!

The rice cereal is binding her up. Try prunes or pears. She may need a suppository at this point, I had to give my daughter one when she was this age. It makes them go poo within minutes and cleans them out. Try to give her something high in fiber everyday to keep things moving. I would try some other types of cereals too, just to mix it up a bit.

I see you've already had an overwhelming number of replies and I admit I didn't read all of them, so I apologize if I'm repeating anything.

First off, it takes some time for the little one's body to adjust to solids so some initial delay is normal. also normal that the poop rhythm will change. But if this becomes a continuous problem, take note of the frequency of BM and talk to your pedi.

My first born also had great difficulties. The main problem was that she wasn't drinking enough - so I sat with her everyday about a half hour just trying to get her to drink her fruit tea. After a month or two of this things improved.

You can also add some spinach to her food to loosen things.
Also, this may not be necessary, but for future bouts of constipation, smearing a little vasaline on her (you know where) can help ease the process and possibly avoid small cracks if it is very hard.

Good Luck.

4 days is too long and she might be constipated from the iron in the cereal and the veggies. I would call the pediatrician, but don't be too alarmed, most babies go through this is very normal. If you don't want to call the Dr. a more natural way is to give her some prunes, I think there is a stage 1. Don't overdo it. You might want to try some apple juice stage 1 too.

Everyone has said pretty much what I would about the p foods but I do want to add that for my daughter who had horrible constipation issues the prune juice always worked better and faster than the actual prunes. The doctor had me mix it into her bottle -- up to an ounce per 6-8 ounce bottle. Start with a smaller amount and then increase if necessary. They don't really notice it in the bottle and it works pretty quickly. My daughter was not on solids yet when she started the constipation issues so that is why we did it that way. Even after she started the solids though the juice worked better.

Also, make sure you vaseline her bum. Put a good little amount on so that when she does try to go it will help to lubricate, she will go easier and it won't be as painful.

Hello,
My Daughter also went threw this @ that age. (She's now 2) I called my doctor and this is what they suggested....use a little Karo syrup(Corn syrup) in her bottle once a day & in no time she was pooping. Hope this helps
R.

If I were you I would go ahead and call your pediatrician tomorrow because the longer you wait the harder it's going to be for her to poop. They might prescribe her a laxative you can mix with her bottle to make her poop easier. I've struggled with the same problem with my daughter for almost two years now. Another piece of advice I've heard is to feed them "P" foods (veggies that start with a P) for example peas, pineapple, prunes.. Thats supposed to help. Or you can also try a glycerin suppository which works, but its not easy or fun for either mommy or baby. Good luck : )

I'll echo what others have said. my now 9 month old went through the same thing when first starting rice& veggies. we introduced oatmeal, and the prunes (gerber makes an organic prunes stage 1). I don't give her rice cereal now, oatmeal in the am and mixed grain in the pm. prunes every am with the oatmeal. and introduce p fruits before apples & bananas, which are also binding. when we had this happen i called the pedi & they said not to worry, it'll work itself out. no intervention was necessary! good luck. she probably pooped last night for you!

My daughter who is about 9 months did that too when I started to give her cereal, My doctor told me to switch to the mixed cereal and give her Karo Syrup( the Dark One) just 1TBS in her formula or Breast- milk, I did that and boy did she start pooping, I gave her the Karo Syrup once a week till she started to poop on her own again, The rice might be binder her up so try the mixed cereal. Hope this helps.

J. R

1 / 3