My 4 Week Old Baby Gets Hic-ups Almost Everytime He Eats.

My son gets hic-ups almost everytime he eats. Sometimes they go on for a long time and are so strong they make him mad. Is there anything I can do to help him? If it continues should I call his doctor?

thank you everyone for your advice. I will try a few of your ideas. I bottle feed now but it seemed to happen even when i was tryen to breast feed. I know the books say its normal but i just wanted to find out if others had seen it so often. Books often lack details on some subjects it seems. Thank you all.

N.

When my little one hic-ups I give him a little more milk, and it seems to help him get rid of them. Good luck!

When my daughter was little I was told hic-ups occured when she was over-stimulated. If we put her to nap when she started to hic-up they would go away really quick. She is now two and has them from time to time when she does we put her to nap. She goes right to sleep and is happy. We also noticed when she has the hic-up she is craky. So a nap is a goo idea anyways.

My son did that too!!! Oh It was crazy... I just always kept about 1 1/2 oz of formula left in the bottle.. after he berped... Then the hic ups started!!! so... we gave that little bit more.. Sort of like suck a few... pull out... suck a few pull out.. ( ya know like drink 10 small sips of water thing.. ) anyway.. It worked!!!! then back up on sholder to berp and all was fine....

I was like not a feeding unless he had then.. BUT It did stop....

I dont recall how long it lasted. He was a bit fussy... And was not sleeping much... I did end up changing formulas and that helped a ton and he started to sleep... Whoo hoo!!!!

So no worrys it will pass....

Babies get hiccups for different reasons then we do. And yes they get them often but the digestive track is still developing. It's nothing to worry about. But to help him when he gets mad I'm not sure, they didn't bother my daughter.

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/bookshelf/Books/50/65...

I googled stop baby hiccups and you can read this article for more information about it.

Most likely cause, baby eating to fast or sucking too much air.
Possibly the hole size on the nipple should be experimented with, but you don't mention bottles so maybe that isn't an option :)

yes my daughter had them when i was prego with her 2. now she gets them pretty often. im shure its nothing to wrry about.

I wonder if you breast or bottle.....however, you may try changing his eating position..The American Academy of Pediatrics has a pamphlet out saying to mix 1/4 teaspoon of sugar in four ounces of water and offer a few sucks. we tried this for about a week and a half and now at 11 weeks we have hardly seen the hiccups for about a month now.

My daugther had the hic-ups all the time when she was that age. There is nothing you can do. Giving your baby some water or something to suck on. You will just have to let them run its course. There really isn't anything you can do. I would just rub her back and try to keep her calm as she had them. It's annoying but hang in there; your baby will eventually get rid of having the hic-ups everything he eats. It took a couple months for my daughter to not hic-up so much.

Gripe Water helps sometimes.

1 / 3