When Is It Okay to Give a Infant Water?

My son is 12 days old. He gets the hiccups very frequently, am not sure if it is okay to give a baby water. I have read online that you should not give a baby water until after 12 months. However, I have also read that many people give babies water before 12 months. Please help? :)

Thank you everyone for you responses. It really helped. I am currently breast feeding. I do remember when I was pregnant my son always had the hiccups. So he must not be in any kinda of pain. For the safer side of the things, I have talked with my Ped, and will take there recommendations. (No water). :)

You can give a baby water at any time. It's harmless. Just put it in a bottle or see if she can sip out of a cup.

It is totally normal for a newborn to get hiccups often, and I don't think that it seems to bother them. Infants really don't need any extra water - they get all they need from breastmilk or formula. You don't need to do anything about hiccups - they'll go away on their own.

Newborns get hiccups all the time. Both my kids did. My doctor told me it actually bothers us more than them. I think it is just one of those things newborns do. Good luck!

Never ever give a baby water. If you're going to listen to the other advice here and do it anyway, then PLEASE DO NOT give water from a bottle....only sips/drips from a medicine cup. Due to a baby's instinctual need to suck, a baby can easily ingest enough water to imbalance their blood chemistry and cause water intoxication. Water intoxication can be lethal. Please ask your pediatrician and wait until he or she says your baby is old enough (some say 6 mo, some wait longer). Babies get the water they need for hydration from their breast milk or formula. If you think they are thirsty, then they need more breast milk or formula.

Hiccups bother us, but they rarely bother babies. They get them often, and there is no need to try to help them get rid of them.

Okay, I loved Sharon's response. Because it hits home. I have a 2 year old and a 7 month old right now. I remember when my first one was born my mother-in-law would sometimes give her water and I was cool with it, until my mom freaked out and said we should boil it first. Being a first time mom I thought she was right. We also boiled all of our pacifiers until we forgot about them a couple times and burned them up. Then words of wisdom from my husband came, we don't have to boil it for ourselves, why should we have to for them. Our bodies are made up of a huge percent of water. You should not use water as a substitute for breast milk and/or formula, but it is totally okay to give them. Both of my kids have had water really early on and it has not hurt them one bit. I think people do try to label everything as a disease to get more money. I like the response go with your gut intincts, it has worked for me so far. My doctor is one that feels the same way. I very rarely go to him, only for the usual check-ups, or if something were really wrong, which hasn't happened yet. Thank goodness. Also on the hiccups, if you are really worried about them, which really they are fine. I have found nursing helps. Sorry for the book.

Hey C.,
My daughter is 6 months and our pediatrician still would prefer that we give her Pedialyte instead of water. I guess the reason is that water can dilute her salt/etc...

The hiccups are terrible to watch when the baby is that small, but the doc said that it's harder on the parents than the baby! :-)

I think that this is a bad idea but you should really ask your dr. I would try burping a lot and even breastfeeding can stop those hiccups.

No H2O. Sorry. My daughter has been taking water since she was about 5 or 6 mo. She only drinks it from a sippy cup. The hiccups are normal, just nurse if they upset you, but they don't upset baby :)

No water at all until at least 6 months. Their bodies are not ready for it. Ask your doctor but also look it up.
SarahMM

It's been a long time since i had a baby but if I remember correctly, I gave my daughter water as in infant, maybe 3 months old. She wouldn't take it so I would put Caro syrup in it for taste. ?? Like my sister says... google it. LOL
Have a good day.

1 / 3