"Low" HCG?

Hi Ladies,

I'm currently pregnant with #2 (yay!!!!), but my doctor says that my HCG is low. A little background: My last period started on 3/16 and we actively tried for the month. 5 days before my expected period, I tested and got 2 positives with a cheap Bartell's generic test. I then bought a box of First Response and they all came up positive, although very faint and at 10 minutes, not 3. The day after my expected period, I tested in the morning and got a BFN. Next morning, went to the doc and requested a blood test. Results today show that I am pregnant and my HCG is at 31. The person I spoke with (not the doc) told me that the level puts me at 3 weeks, not four.

I'm going in again on Friday for a second blood test to see if my HCG is rising appropriately. I don't have any signs of an impending miscarriage. Something tells me that everything is going to be fine, but it could be wishful thinking.

My questions: Anyone else have a roller coaster of test results and everything turn out okay? I would love to hear about your experiences.
Also, I don't think they can date a pregnancy based on HCG levels, given there is such a huge range thats "normal". Do you all agree?

I don't have the results from my 2nd blood test taken on Friday, but over the weekend I started bleeding and cramping. I'm going to the doctor today so that they can see if I'm miscarrying. I'll also get the results from my blood test, which I expect will show either a slow increase or a decline. I'm not hopeful at this point.

Thanks everyone for your encouraging responses! I don't think it was our time, unfortunately.

If you would like to obsess -- here is a website for you.

http://www.betabase.info/

Hope all turns out well.

Boy-that sounds exactly like my story! I am pregnant with #3 and that's just how we started out. We lost twin boys at 20 weeks in Oct. 2007, so right away I was a nervous wreck. My hcg levels were low the whole time and I think I had like 8 blood tests to measure the hormone. I had 6 ultrasounds to even confirm the presence of a pregnancy, and it's just been one thing after another. Any way, I am halfway through my 6th month, and I"m just as nervous as I was in the beginning. The only consolation I have is the fact that my son, if born now, would have a decent shot at survival. Not that I want him to come yet...it's just that with the twins they were too early and had no chance to survive. Well, I jhope this helps. Just try not to worry. Everything will turn out just as it's supposed to.

I have been keeping my fingers crossed for you. Let us know what happens!

I had the exact thing happen to me with my dd, who is now a happy and healthy 5 year old! I had been ttc for nearly 4 years. The day that I was supposed to start giving myself the shots for an IUI I decided to take a pg test. After about 11 minutes or so it was the faintest possible positive line. I didn't believe it so I went into the ER (it was a friday evening-as usual, after the dr's were closed!) and they tested my HCG and one idiot told me that I was miscarrying, my levels were quite low (I think mine showed at 34 the first test)! He was beyond wrong and spoke out of turn because I never miscarried. I had just caught my pregnancy so much earlier than many other mother's do-except for those of us who spend months or years ttc. My numbers steadily went up over the following 3 or 4 weeks that the idiot dr was checking my numbers at my demand-not his request. It does happen...

Think positive...here's to a sticky baby!!!

Hi J.. If your last period was on 3/16 then 3 weeks sounds right on. Measuring HCG levels would actually give you a more accurate date. Since you probably didn't concieve while on your period. I am 38 years old and 14 weeks along with my 3rd child. I got 4 negative tests before getting a positive one , by then I was 10 days late !
I did the due date calculators and came up with being 8 weeks along . When I went to the Dr. they did a sonogram since they couldn't hear a heartbeat yet and I was only 6 weeks. Which means I would have concieved a day before my period was set to start. I guess I ovulated late that month which is very strange for me because I am always right on schedule ! So take a deep breath and relax , I bet you are right on track and pregnant with a wonderful, healthy ,precious baby !

Most likely you ovulate later than you think and conceived later in your menstrual cycle. Catching a pregnancy early can result in low HCG levels because your body hasn't had enough time to get those levels up for a distinct POSITIVE test. My doctor told me to wait at least a week after my missed period to take my test for that very reason. You're just anxious and want to know for sure if you can be excited or not, but the best advice I can give is sit back and relax and I hope you get the news you've been waiting for at your appointment. Best of luck!

Hello J.. I am in a very similar situation to you. My husband and I tried from October until February and are finally pregnant with our second baby. When my period was four days late, I took two pregnancy tests that came out negative. The next day I got a very faint positive, just like you, after ten or fifteen minutes. I waited a few days and then went to see a nurse, who confirmed my pregnancy was at weeks 5 by dates, not by HcG levels. I think that really early pregnancy can be hard to pinpoint, and that next week when you go back in, your levels will probably be fine. It is such a tumultuous and nerve wracking time because it is so early, but I'm with you, I think everything is going to be fine. Good Luck!

I know you have a lot of responses but I figure one more response from someone in your situation might help you feel better. I had the same thing. I was still nursing my daughter but had my period back for 4 months fairly regularly. So when I missed it (we were also trying to get pregnant) I thought Ok this is it...then 3 negative tests..but no period. Finally after a week I took a cheap generic one and it barely showed positive, called the dr and went to lab for blood test. I think my HCG was like 34 very low, they said I was barely pregnant. So 2 days later , number doubled and I think I was in the 80 range...they changed my due date to match the baby's measurement on the ultrasound to 2 weeks after what I thought. I am still totally confused how I could have conceived 2 weeks after what they are saying, especially since I "know" my circumstances. But baby is healthy, measuring for their due date of 6/26 and never had a problem. Good luck and I hope you get good news:)

1 / 3