"Little Boy" Undies

We will be starting potty training with my son soon & I have read so many posts about NOT using pullups. So, I plan to go ahead and purchase underwear for him. The problem is that he still wears size 3/4 diapers. He's skinny.

Any suggestions on brands of boys underwear that run small? Right now, it's very difficult to find pants that are long enough and small enough in the waist. I'm fearful of having to buy lots of different brands of underwear before finding some that fit. So, hopefully you guys can save me the headache with your advice.

Hi my oldest son had that problem and still does. Walmart is the answer you will want to get the 5ply training pants first and then the 2T underwear should work. As far as pants go Walmart carry's pants that have a regular wast band but then inside they have elastic and buttons so that you can adjust the waist.

Try size 2T underware. It works well on my tall but skinny boy. Get a wide range of pictures and buy A LOT of them. Some kids (like my older daughter) train quickly and easily. My b/g twins are taking forever. But be patient and expect accidents.

Also, try to go for pants with the adjustable waist elastic with buttons. If you can, find a simple fabric belt. Not all kids pants come with belt loops but for those that do, this saves me.

My son is 3yo and only weighs 27lbs; he was also in a 3 diaper. I found some really cute Elmo underwear in the baby section at WalMart. They run REALLY small even though they say size 2T on the pkg. They are tagless and he absolutely LOVES them. I waited until after his 3rd b-day to even start this process. He did have a couple accidents at first but now we are doing great. I still put him in a diaper for naptime and bedtime. I'm just not willing to wake up in the middle of the night to take him to the bathroom and he doesn't mind either. When he starts waking up dry or I don't have a new baby nursing all night and a 21 mo then maybe I'll be more inspired to work on nightime. Until then I'm OK w/the regular diapers at night.

Hi K. -
Gerber sells a 3 pack of cotton potty pants that starts at size 24 pounds and they are very economical as well.
These look like the ones I used my kids who are now old enough to have kids of there own.
Just make sure you have as many pairs as you would change his diapers because remember it does say training :-)
Have fun and enjoy your new adventures with your sweet boy!!

My three year old still fits into the 18 month size gerber training pants. Try Babies 'R Us, that's where I get mine.

My four year old is 30 pounds with a small waist and when he potty trained last year he was in a 3/4 diaper. I understand this problem well. I've used Gymboree underwear. They come in 2/3T. I found the cotton to be thicker and thus not stretch/bulk as much. Also, I had problems with Hanes, and other mass produced brands, around the waist. The elastic would come out and either loose all stretch or have elastic "threads" coming out rendering them useless. With as much as you have to wash the underwear, especially in the beginning, I wanted some that would withstand the wear. Gymboree can be a little more expensive, but you can find them on sale occasionally on line for $0.99 or the outlet/sales. Good luck with potty training.

Also, even though they are ridiculously expensive, Ralph Lauren jeans and most of their pants run smaller in the waist and leg and are longer. My son is a 2T waist and 3 or 4T length. I'm still trying to find more pants that will fit my skinny boys without making it look like they are wearing capris!

Gerber Training pants are the best. They are thick and absorb and they come in small sizes. Gerber is the only brand that I have found that are thick enough for actually training. My son has been in underwear for three months now and just in the last three weeks has he been allowed to wear his character underwear outside the house. Good luck.
H. M.

My skinny boy did really well with 2/3 Haynes underwear from Wal Mart or Target. When I opened the package they looked enormous, but as soon as I washed them they shrank and fit really well. That happened with several brands that we bought - looked too big until washed.
We also got good results with Gymboree underwear. When you get them on sale or have a coupon they really aren't that much more than other brands.
A lot of stores are now carrying the adjustable waist pants - like the adjustable elastic in maternity pants. I've bought them at Old Navy and Bealls, and I have seen them other places as well.

1 / 3