Lifting Baby Cause Miscarriage??

Hi, my second worry question for the day.. I have a 10 month old and pregnant. As of yesterday, the Dr. hasn't seen a heartbeat yet. I am about 4 or 5 weeks. Would carrying my baby cause a miscarriage? I know the Dr's say to not carry more then 10 lbs while pregnant, but how can you avoid this when you already have a child? Other moms had to have carried around/held other children/car carrier, etc while pregnant. Would this cause a miscarriage?

Thanks for any advice..

Hi T.,
I know it's so hard, but please try to relax. I'm almost 16 weeks along and have been carrying around my 27lb 19 month old the whole time, as well as bags of groceries, and a list of other things. It's all fine. With regard to the heartbeat, my OB's practice won't even see newly pregnant women until 8 weeks, simply because there's such a high likelihood of not seeing a heartbeat until then.
Good Luck with everything!

T. - congratulations! I had three little ones all in a row and never stopped carrying the older ones when I was pregnant with the younger ones. In fact, when I was pregnant with my third, I sometimes had to carry both of the older ones (ages 2 and 1) down the stairs because we had just moved out of hte city and they didn't know how to go down the stairs by themselves. I don't recommend that, but I had no problem carrying the kids when I was pregnant either time.

Good luck and hope it all goes well.

Actually, it's no more than 35 lbs. The 10 lb limit relates to post-caesarean activity. I think it MIGHT cause a miscarriage due to stress on the muscles, etc., but not until you're much more progressed.

I have never heard that you shouldn't lift more than 10 pounds (and I am a mom of a 14 and a 10, and am a childbirth educator). Pregnant women lift their kids all the time. It does not cause a miscarriage. If the "baby" is not alive, it's not due to lifting your child. At 4 or 5 weeks pregnant, it's only 2-3 weeks since conception, the organs are just forming. There's likely no heartbeat and I wouldn't stress over it. There's no reason to even check on one at this stage - either it's going to be there or it is not and either way, the outcome will not change.
Good luck, I hope this will be a perfectly healthy pregnancy for you.

No...there is NO WAY lifting any amount of weight would CAUSE a miscarriage. Some women feel like they may have done something to cause a miscarriage because the timing lines up with some activity. But it cant cause it...it just may help it along if it was already impending.

FWIW, heartbeats are generally found by ultrasound after the 5th-6th week. Hang in there.

HI T.! It may just be too early to find a heartbeat. My OB doesn't even listen for a heartbeat until the 9th week.
Also, I have never heard that you shouldn't carry more than 10 lbs while pregnant- you can definitly carry more than that. I wouldn't do any HEAVY lifting, like, moving your furniture by yourself but that just because your bones are softer during pregnancy. It's very unlikely that it would cause a miscarriage.
I know it's hard but try not to worry! And if you end up with a miscarriage, please don't blame yourself. You haven't done anything wrong!

Good luck and hope it all goes well.

I was actually a little further along (think 6 or 7 wks) when they couldn't detect a heartbeat but the next time I went - there it was.

This was w/my oldest - the same who was almost 6 when I had her little sister. She wasn't a ton, but your usual 5 year old and although I was told not to carry any more then 10 lbs, sometimes I had no choice. Even after when I had a tubiligation - told the same thing - nothing over 10 lbs - well by the time I had it done my 3 month old was over 10 lbs. I think they set that guideline for you to just use common sense.

I know that you are still going to worry, but try not to as much. Good luck & please keep us posted.

Hi T.,
Good Luck with everything!

Hi Tracey,
The heartbeat doesn't typically start until the 6th week so take a deep breath and just focus on that little bean implanting and growing within you! I hope everything turns out well for you. Take care and best of luck!

1 / 3