Leaks While Breastfeeding

Any suggestions for absorbing leaks?

When I am nursing, my other breast leaks through the cotton washable pad, through the bra, through the undershirt and through my shirt! You'd think I'd have figured this out by now (I have 4 kids), but I am soaked and smelling like breastmilk EVERY day.

Thanks for all the tips. The pressure thing doesn't work too well for me, as I still leak (and sometimes squirt!) YES, I should be glad that I can nurse the block. I DO nurse on both sides, but will look into the suggestions. I am not interested in pumping this time (another reason I took ONE year off from work), but the plastic shield as collection sounds like something I might try - especially for the upcoming cereal stage. I will check out the LilyPadz at Mo Mat this afternoon, and let everyone know what worked best. Thanks!

I seem to have gotten past this point now (I also had a boy in Oct.), but have been known to just put a cloth diaper between the 2nd breast & everything else.

I used to put a cloth diaper, tucked into my bra on the breast that I wasn't using at the moment. Good luck!

I would leak right through the washable pads as well, but the Johnson and Johnson disposables worked great. They were actually quite thin, but never caused my milk to leak through. I know Target has them.

I would leak alot during the first few months of breastfeeding also. I had an oversupply which my kid caught up to at about 5 mths. The Lansinoh Dusposable Nursing Pads can hold alot and when I'm out I would always use them. Sometimes at home I would just open both sides of my bra and let the other side leak into a small towel while I nursed. As for the washable pad I don't know how to help. They don't have the absorbing materials and may work better for normal leaking not the "stream" I had while nursing. Whatever you use make sure you are changing them at each nursing. You don't want the moisture to stay on your breasts. Some mom's are prone to yeast infections. The disposable pad really worked for me. Just make sure they don't accidentally get in your laundry...I'd miss one hidden in a shirt. You have to air dry and then shake the clothing out and rewash. If they get in the drier you have to wipe everything off.

Hi Sonia:

Like you, I have 4 children. I had the same problem that you are having. I have a huge milk supply and would leak through everything. I didn't find the washable pads to hold as much milk as the disposable pads. I would double up on the pads and change them often. Once I had my third child, a lactation consultant gave me advice on how to lessen my milk supply. The baby got plenty of milk and although I continued to leak, it wasn't nearly as bad. I'm not sure if this is the same problem you are having, but it's worth a call to a Lactation Consultant. Good luck!

I didn't like washable pads, I used disposable pads since they have a plastic outer lining/barrier.
Also press your arm against the other breast to stop the flow (esp at letdown time!) if you dont already do that. Hope that helps you out.

I used to use socks and have the nursing pad up againest my bra for more protection.

Lilly padz. http://www.lilypadz.com/index1.html. Only thing worked for me when I was nursing & they stay in place because they are like a suction cup. Comfortable. Can get them @ motherhood maternity. I got mine @ my hospital's lactation department.

Hi, I see you have a lot of responses so a short answer. I still leak (9 month old twins). I even measured it once (20 mls from one breast!!). The only pads that work are Lansinoh, they keep me dry even 24 hours. And I've tried them ALL. Good luck.

I used to use those opportunities to pump, I'd hold (prop) the hand pump on the other nipple and get excess milk. Then use it on baby's dry skin, in the tub or to mix with his cereal (if your baby is old enough). I heard someone else cut up sanitary napkins and place a half of a light day pad in their bra. Good luck!

1 / 3