Help with Leaking Breasts at Night

I have a 5 month old whom I breast feed exclusively. I am having problems however not leaking during the night. He wakes to nurse some at night but I am finding my shirt to be soaked enough to require a change several times throughout the night. I am not sure how to prevent this from happening. He is my third chid and I never had this problem with my other two.

Wow! What an amazing amount of responses with terrific suggestions. I have been wearing a bra at night but didn't think about adding nursing pads. I have purchased several brands to experiment with. I have also been using a cloth diaper between bra and shirt so that it absorbs any extra wetness and doesn't soak my shirt. Thanks so much for your wonderful help!

You might want to try Lily Padz. They are specifically for stopping leaks and will stay on at night without a bra. I have heavy let down and was always leaking through washable and disposable breast pads. These work great for me, they prevent the leaking instead of just absorbing it....though they are a bit expensive...$22 a set, but each set lasts about 2 months...though the adhesive property lessens toward the end of the 2 months.
E

I have found that I REALLY only leak when I don't wear a bra to bed. My daughter is 6 mo, also exclusively breast fed, and her feeding at nights is becoming less frequent, and my leaking is too.

breast pads help with that problem..and I find they prevent my breasts from leaking because the pads are not wet, but if I don't wear them my shirt gets soaked too.

Dear L.,

I also breast feed exclusively until around 9 months, when we introduced a sippy cup. I continued to bf until he was 2years 9 months. There was not a day or night I left my breasts uncovered. I would always wear a bra, (I am small breasted) more like a cross over sport type bra, with lansinoh breast covers. I always felt secure, covered, and (a little bigger:)
Ps, I never did pump either. Maybe your baby's nutritional needs are changing and your body (which is in tune with your child's needs) is changing too.

good luck!

A couple of things that helped me were a tight fitting shirt, the less they move against the fabric the less they will be "stimulated"and leak, breast pads (they have some that soak in the milk via gel and they get thicker, but can hold a lot, disposable), and pumping before bed (I used to pump right after the final evening feeding and that helped. Hope this might be useful. Good luck, I know that feeling is uncomfortable.

I didn't read through all of the responses so you may have heard this already. My experience with breastfeeding was that, eventually, my body adjusted to the amount of milk my baby needed. When that happened, the leaking stopped. With my son, I had to go back to work at 4 months and I worked in a situation where I could not pump so I began breastfeeding strictly at night. After a while, maybe 6 week, I just stopped having leaking during the day. Same thing with my daughter. The body is an amazing thing. Meanwhile, use lots of breast pads. I was even known to use a washcloth. :)

When I was brestfeeding I used a silicone pad called lily pads (I got them online and I believe you can get them at motherhood maternity stores. I also leaked a lot during the night but as the feedings diminished at night so did the leaking. Good luck!

Try a nursing bra with the pads. I had a lot of milk and a forceful letdown. My son is 9 mo, and I still have to use something. I have switched to cotton ones that I wash with the bras. Sometimes I would have to change them out in the middle of the night.
I like the bras that have a V front and you just pull to the side...they are at Target and Target.com.
good luck

Lansinoh Disposable Nursing Pads are the BEST. I leaked ALL the time (not just at night) and these were the only brand of pad that prevented my shirt getting soaked. Also, if you wear a tight enough shirt to bed at night, you could keep them in place without a bra, and just move them to nurse. Good Luck!

E

1 / 3