Kitchens for Boys

This may sound like a very silly question but I am wondering what everyone thinks about getting a play kitchen for a boy. My husband is really not into the idea but I think my son would enjoy it. Also, does anyone have any suggestions on a kitchen that would be nice for santa to bring. I definately do not want to spend very much money on it (since my husband is so against it) and I would like something that is fairly small (we do not have much extra room). Thanks in advance for any advise.

What happened to letting kids be kids? They don't understand gender differences till they are older. It is just a toy...should we teach little girls to refrain from making car sounds or trying to climb trees because boys should do that? Kids don't know the differnce, only we do.

I have a 4 1/2 yr old boy that loved to play with his kitchen when he was about 2. I don't see any problem with it, and luckily my husband didn't either. Honestly I think most boys play with it for a short while (atleast mine did) and then they are done with it. Hey, the way I look at it, even if he does grow up liking to cook, some of the best chefs in the world are men! Good luck!

All 3 of my kids play together in their "kitchen" 1 girl, 2 boys. Look at a resale shop. They will be much less expensive. If you're around Reno, Once Upon a Child has quite a few of them.

Try craigslist and yard sales. The Fisher-Price kitchens last forever, and look good even secondhand. We got one for our oldest when she was 1 1/2, and she and her sister still use it now (they're 4.5 and 3). We bought it at a yardsale for $25, cleaned it up, bought new accessories, and it's still in great shape.

Try some thrift stores... or second hand toy stores. A lot of those kitchens last forever (little tykes, fisher price) and many kids outgrow them before they fall apart. You can even try Craig's list, ebay or even some garage sales. I found a full sized tool bench that was like new at Savers for $5. my son still plays with it. Then buy the dishes and food toys at walmart. Sams club and Cosco usually have a good deal around Christmas time, so does sears and toys r us.

Boys love them just as much as girls... my son is really into doll houses now, becasue they have one at preschool and he gets to be the daddy who drives the car and puts the babies "night-night". I had to buy him the "shark vac" so he could vaccume the floors and a swiffer... they have this need to feel they are helping their mommies... they are learning to be "real caring men"

Who ever gets my son is goona be one lucky woman!

I bought my newphews the mini Kitchen from Hearthsong.com and they love it. It is a natural wood color with green legs so that it is neutral. It also already comes with 23 wood pieces of play cookware so there is no spending extra money for additional items for it incase they don't play with it. It got them to want to learn to help in the kitchen and make there own lunches which was a big help to my sister.

I have been reading a lot about Montessori and Waldorf early education, and based on those readings, I absolutely support involving both boys and girls in household duties. A small child-size kitchen would probably excite your little boy, as he could mimic what you do. Or you could just build/ buy a small table for him to help prepare real foods on. I recommend looking at Magic Cabin catalogue for ideas. I will definitely purchase child-friendly cleaning supplies and kitchen utensils for my son, and I do not in any way think that will encourage him to be like a girl. I think small children want to feel needed and productive in household tasks.....could it be that kids' obsession with television, cellular phones, video games, etc. be a result of them being bored? Of parents spoiling their children and never asking them to help?

both of my boys enjoy playing with their kitchen, and they still are very rough and tough, if that's a concern.
if you husband is really against it, there are some little kitchens that feature a bbq set, which could be a nice compromise.
have fun cooking!
-E.

Dear A., of course a boy can have a play kitchen. I have three boys and when they were younger they used to play with it all the time. We had fake food, utensils, groceries,(we kept used cereal boxes, etc)The biggest mistake I did was when we moved from overseas and we got rid off it all. I wish I had kept it. The two younger ones asked for it and really wanted to play with it, but we thought they were too old, at that time 3 and 5. As long as they want to play who cares.

My boys, are now 10,12 and 16, they did not grow up to be any wusses :)) Household roles, like kitchen, dressing up etc, it's just as important for boys as it is for girls. For sources, try out: backtobasicstoys.com. Or try to find used ones on craigslist.com. Good luck. best regards J.

We just bought a little kitchen for my son. He is 15 months old. He loves it! They have one at our library and he plays with it all the time. Some of them can be pricey and tall for little ones. I found a small wooded oven. You can purchase the different parts seperately (oven, sink, refrigerator). He also has a set of pots, pans and spoons. He helps me when I am cooking in the kitchen all the time.

Last year my 4 year old boy wanted a "pink kitchen". I couldn't believe it and my husband was so horrified. We had a friend buy him his "pink kitchen" and we gave it to him from Santa. My husband and I bought him a BBQ grill that looked and sounded real to see which he would play with more. Well, he ended up only playing with the kitchen for a few months before it got boring and it is now parked by the sandbox for mudpies. The BBQ grill was great. We keep it by his dads grill and they cook together. PS...my husband was so embarrassed that we put his kitchen in his room-before it was moved to the sandbox.

I don't think it should matter that a boy wants to play with what might be considered a "girl" toy. We wanted to buy him a kitchen, just not a pink one. We actually just painted the concrete in my kids (both boys) playroom purple with lots of other colors. We're hoping to spark their imagination and have a fun environment for them to play in.

Tell you hubby that your son just wants to play. Just try to find one that is gender nuetral so that your next baby will want to play with it too!

R.

1 / 3