Kindergarten Naps????

Someone post a question about a mat for naps and a buch of folks responded with what they used etc.

Do most K classes require naps? Is that good or bad in your opinion? My daughter is 4 1/2 and going in to pre-K next fall 4 days a week 9 -2 and she does not nap any more and her pre-K does not have a nap time. She sleeps at night anywhere from 10 1/2 to 11 1/2 hours...

So what is normal? Is there a normal? What would you do if your school had nap time but you don't want your child to nap...

Just curious, I won't need to deal with this for another year I guess... but inquiring minds want to know :)

At my kids' school: yes, the Kindergarteners nap. In the afternoon. But only for the first half of the school year. It is nap or quiet time for the kids that do not fall asleep.
I don't see a problem with that.
Many of the kids, in Kindergarten, once they are in school all day they do get tired of "working" all day. And many will fall asleep.
My kids' teachers, in Kindergarten, are not dictators about it. Because, it is nap or quiet time. The kids understand. And it is a routine, everyday in school.

Or, after school, my son would be SO tired... and he'd nap once we came home.
My son is 5. He just finished his Kindergarten year.

At my kids' school, Kindergarten is full days, 5 days a week. Just like the older kids.

And even if my son is 5, he will nap when tired. No battles.

I know most kindergartens have a rest time after lunch. The kids are not required to sleep but rest. It helps them to recharge for the afternoon.

Here they have all day Kindergarten. They kids go from 7:45am to 2:45pm so they get a short nap. They are not required to sleep but they have to stay quiet.

I don't see a problem with that.

My second child was in all day kinder. They had naptime on those little nap mats. Not all the kids actually slept, but they did at least lay there quietly and gave the kids who were all tuckered out a chance to sleep.

For kinders who travel long distances on the buses, it's a godsend. For kids who are younger kinders, or those who were used to naptime, it really helps. I think it's great for the teacher too, who has 20 plus kids under her charge.

This is one of the reasons I recommend that moms continue to have quiet time every afternoon, whether their kids still nap or not. That way, it's not as hard to get used to naptime during kinder.

First grade hits the ground running and there are no more naps until you hit retirement, LOL! So just get your child ready for the nap thing in advance.

Smiles!

Full day kinder in our district has down time for about 30 minutes in the afternoon right after lunch/recess and before PE, music or art.

The children don't usually go to sleep, it is just a quiet time with some low key music playing in the background. Sometimes teachers will read to them during this time as well.

My son's class did not take naps (he just completed kindergarten) I am sooo thankful for that! He gave up napping just after he turned 2 and is hyperactive to boot! Nap time at preschool was a nightmare and I'm so glad I no longer have to deal with the issue.

Not sure about other schools, but my son's kindergarten class "napped" for about 5 - 10 minutes. They would lie down with the lights out and listen to quiet music. I think it was used mainly to settle them down after recess so that they really could focus. His teacher said no one ever actually falls asleep.

I was also concerned about this at first. I was afraid my son would refuse and cause a problem. His teacher said most of the students are very well behaved the first few days and just do as the teacher asks. Everything is so new and exciting and they just go with the flow. Also, I think those first few days they are pretty tired.

My son is going into a half day kinder, there would be no point in a nap in his program, however if they required naps I would laugh. I think by the time kids are in Kinder they no longer need a nap.

1 / 3