JFF: Favorite Restaurants, and Most Hated

So what are some of yalls fav. Places to eat, and why, what your fav. Thing from there? And what's a restaurant you will never go to again and why?
My favorite is a tie between Cheddars and Olive Garden.
I love cheddars, I love their spinach dip, and their sangria margaritas (not to mention their only $3.50)
And thier food always comesnin big portions and small prices. :-)
I love Olive garden because of the atmosphere, and I love their breadsticks and salads. I always always get Shirley temples their too. And I love love their food.

I will never go to the place called the jalepano tree. Ok, we went maybe 2 months after their grand opening? And we were thinking, they just remodeled the place so it should be nice.... Negative. It looked so cheap. And their food and wait staff was so bad. I didn't even take a doggy bag. And I don't like to waste food. So we said we will never go again.
What about you?

Some Good Choices, yea Dallas kind of sucks, we don't have alot of family owned, mom and pop type restaurants, the only ones in my area are all Mexican food, which I love, and they are good, but I wish we had authentic Italian, or real BBQ places... Maybe I need to dive a little further out, to the country and I'm sure I'll find some :-)

Olive Garden is to Italian food what Taco Bell is to Mexican food.

I prefer local mom and pop kind of places. The chains, not so much.

Love, Carraba's, P.F.Changs, O'Charley's and Kan Ki (sushi)

Hate Chili's, everytime we have been to one the food has been sub par and bland, and the service was so SLOW...which is horrid when you have an active toddler, and you need to get in and out quickly. :)

Love cheddars! My favorite is anywhere with a margarita and my least favorite is a buffet. I don't know how to control my self :(

I can't eat at the Olive Garden. I can make anything they make... and while it will cost me about $2 instead of their $0.50 cents a plate or less, paying $5 much less $10 or $15 I find impossible.

My absolute rule of thumb for eating out is it has to be more expensive to make at home than to buy it at the restaurant or there has to be some huge reason to waste the money; like travelling. (I'm a trained cook, I can make almost anything given either the recipe or a little experimenting).

((Hint: Outback has one of the highest food costs of any restaurant. It's not my fav place to go, but it's decent, AND you *get your money's worth* when you do go. They spend on average about 40% on their food. Most restaurants spend 10%-20% on food cost at most. Italian places and fast food places often spend less than 5%))

My favorites?

Seattle (no particular order)
- Agua Verde (fantastic fish tacos, salsas, and kyaking)
- Shun or Tokyo (great sushi, and my standards are high, since I grew up in Japan)
- Taste of India (great N. Indian... the best closed a few years ago; owner died)
- Elliot Bay Oyster Co. (oyster happy hour!)
- Poppy (fusion. Mmmm. Eggplant fries with sea salt and honey, Grilled oysters on the half with sorrel sauce and bacon, happy hour thali -bites of heaven-. This is a restaurant spun out from The Herbfarm, with food just as orgasmic, but with reasonable prices)
- Tubs Subs (heavenly sammies)
- Cafe Pho & Pho Hoa (best 2 pho places)
- Jumbo (fav Dim Sum and real chinese... my 9yo son is a fixture there. He gets hugs from all the servers and special dishes brought out to him. Been going there since he was still nursing)
- Snappy Dragon (fav american chinese)
- GH (a local Halal restaurant that I buy my gyro meat from)
- Macrina Bakery (best. bread. ever.)
- Metropolitan Grill (fav steaks. As good as Chicago)
- Pagliacci (seattle style pizza)
- Kidd Valley (burgers & fish'n'chips)
- 611 Pine St (french, specifically, their crepes)
- Teatro Zinzani (fabu food & drink & circus. Or as they put it: Love. Chaos. Dinner. http://dreams.zinzanni.org/ )

New Orleans
- Desire Oyster Bar (300 Bourbon St. Used to have breakfast here every morning. LOVE this place)

Long Beach
- Medieval Times (fab food and Andalusians, and knights jousting? I'm in.)

NYC
- Street Cart on W35th by MadSquareGarden (middle eastern/greek)

Waikiki
- Some nameless restaurant 'down the street and up an escalator' that had this crab stuffed mahi mahi I STILL dream about. OMG. Decent poke. I've come close to heading 'home' with a friend from Aiea JUST for the chance to eat this again.

My favorites are the Cheesecake Factory, and PF Changs. Cheesecake Factory has a huge menu so there is something for everyone. PF Changs is an upscale chinese resturant. Very good, but not really for kids.

Dinner favorites are: Del Frisco's, III Forks, Sullivan's, Kenny's Italian Kitchen,Gleneagles County Club, PF Chang's, Carraba's, Ruth Chris, Lawry's Prime Rib, Maggiano's, Fogo de Chou, Grimaldi's Pizza, Brooklyn's Pizza

Lunch favorites are: Market Street Grocery (great salad bar, soup and hot food) , Village burger, Pot Belly sandwiches, Bonnie Ruth's, McAlister's Deli, Pappadeaux, Dickey's BBQ, occasional Chick Filet

Dislike: Applebees, Olive Garden is ok but not a fave, any chinese buffet, Outback.

We generally try to stay away from chains but there are a couple we do like on occasion.

I love a restaurant around here called El Fenix. I also love Chipotle. El Fenix has the BEST fresh salsa, and it's inexpensive. I don't like Fridays, or BJ's. I just really don't like their food, at either of those places.

I love eating out for ethnic foods. Any kind - Kenyan, Bosnian, Jamaican, Russian. I will try anything as I am an adventurous eater. I have no idea the names of half the ethnic food places I've eaten.

I try to avoid chain foods at all costs but the sad thing is that living in the 'burbs of Houston, that's all we have. Even when I travel, if I am faced w/eating at a place that is right down my street, I'll probably not eat there unless I absolutely without a doubt have to.

If I HAVE to pick a place, I like Olive Garden only b/c they let you sample any kind of wine they carry and if you don't like it you don't have to buy a glass or bottle. So on a good night w/a generous waiter, I can leave there having drunk at least 1 "glass" of wine.

Olive Garden is soo commercial and totally NOT Italian (believe me 'cause I AM) so i didn't particularly enjoy it. But, again, if I want real Italian I stay home and cook by myself LOL... One time I ate at Applebees (ribs) and the morning after my then hubby had to take me to emergency for food poisoning..ugh. I like Sticky Fingers and Cracker Barrell (sp?) because they seem to be real american to me and I LOVE american food. Also some mexican restaurants are yummy but it seems they use all the same spices and it all ends up having the same taste..BORING.
ADDED for Tracy: not that I care about this things (it's actually funny), but we Italians ARE actually white too ;-P

1 / 3