Is Okay to Refreeze Meat?

I put pork chops down to fix for dinner last night but was unable to fix them. Now today, I can't fix them because my BIL is taking all of us out to dinner for my MIL's 60th B-DAY. Is it okay to refreeze them and defrost them for another day, or do I count this as a loss?

@C. P - Thanks for making me feel like I'm stupid for not knowing this! I'm not nor do I claim to be a cooking queen!! This has never happened which is why I asked the question. If you can't answer nicely please do not answer at all!!!

I would go ahead and cook them now. If you don't want to have them for lunch, you can refrigerate them after they're cooked. Then tomorrow, shred them up, add bbq sauce and slow cook them until they're really tender and make pork sandwiches for dinner tomorrow night. Have some cole slaw on the side (or on the sandwiches, yummy).

Best wishes.

Why not just cook them and keep them in the fridge for sandwiches, leftovers, etc?

I wouldn't refreeze meat unless it's been cooked.

:)

Best wishes.

:)

Oh for crying out loud....of COURSE you can refreeze it. Just be sure to cook it properly when you do prepare it.

They've only been out of the freezer for a day, not a week.

ETA: Nobody can make you feel stupid except for you. You can take my post however you like, but the "for crying out loud" was really for all of the paranoid folks who seem to think that unopened meat that has been out of the freezer for a day is dangerous. It was my frustration towards those misleading posts.

I don't think you're stupid. But really, take it however you like.

Don't refreeze them unless you cook them first.

not a good idea especially with Pork. Cook them up and eat them for left overs.

You can cook them and have leftovers tomorrow. I was taught to never refreeze meats.

Yes you can thaw and refreeze any meat. If the meat is not spoiled when you put it back in the freezer it will not be spoiled when you take it out.

If you look in the grocery stores beside some meats you will see a small sign that says "This product has been previously frozen". Its not uncommon for meat that you get home from the grocery store to have been refrozen at least twice.

ADDED: Don't be too hard on C.. This same question has been asked at least 4 times in the last month.

Good luck to you and yours.

As a home economist, I'll say that yes you can refreeze meat. Freezing does subtly change the texture of a food because the freezing causes the cells to expand and then they collapse when thawed. With meat, however, you will not notice the difference. The cells are firm.

When you freeze fruits and vegetable, thaw them and then refreeze them the freezing cause the cells to become mushy. You can still eat the food but you'll notice the difference in texture.

1 / 3