Is "Fart" a Bad Word?

Just curious if you consider "fart" to be a bad word with your kids. My 5 yo son recently was given the book "The Gas We Pass: The Story of Farts". My son and I thought it was hilarious. My husband thought it was a naughty word. What do you think?

Yes, probably not the most polite word in the world. Of course my husband had him calling it a "barking spider". Not sure which is worse... LOL

fart is not a naughty word in my house, my mother in law says "toot" but I can tell you with the boys in my house these are not "toots".

Nope, we are fond of the word fart. :) I like the word way better than when my husband actually does it!

We say it at home (not all the time) but don't use it around other people, esp those we know who don't like hearin it...like my mom! (unless we want to push her buttons :) )

Oh, and we own several whoopee cushions...

I have watched too much Monty Python
I faah-rt in your general direction.

HAHAHA I laugh just thinking about it.

I don't put it in the category as other curse words but I absolutely do not allow my kids to use it and my husband knows that after 20 years of marriage I will go crazy if he even dares utter it in my presense :-) I think it is disgusting and personally I find it kind of low class when people use it so carelessly. And in the same way, my kids are not allowed to belch loudly just to be rude and obnoxious. I am friends with families whose kids are allowed to sit at the dinner table and burp like nobody's business and all laugh about it (and purposely pass gas as well). I am in no way Miss Manners but I just find those words and behaviors to be very impolite. Yes, I know my kids have gas and need to belch but we all know those things can be done with diginity and politeness. I hope my future daughters-in-law appreciate that I am teaching my six year old twin boys these rules. On another note, my good friend's husband knows how very much I hate the "f" word so he had lots of fun with me one day and pulled up a youtube video where the comedian Tim Hawkins went on a 10 minute rampage about that very topic. Everyone had a very good laugh as they could see the hair stand up on my arms and my nostrils flare out LOL

I think it is a funny word -

Our girls "toot" and the boys "fart"... fart is more "ewww" and "toot" is more girly. Either way funny to us!

Oh ya - and sometimes it is "Who stepped on the duck" hahahahahaha (Your name me think of that one)

My MIL says "Who is shooting bunnies"

ETA - I am sorta suprised how insulted some get over the word (thinks it is just as bad as the "F" word). Makes me giggle. Not that anyone is right or wrong, just suprised by it.

I wasn't allowed to say it. Or butt. Or vagina.

The alternatives I was given in 2 cases were absolutely mortifying. Who wants to tell people their beans are talking?? What does that even mean??

I had to call vaginas "too-toos". Imagine my horror the first time we went to the circus and there was a ballerina in the center ring in her "pretty pink tu-tu."

I don't think it's a bad word. I still don't like to say it, but sometimes you can't undo years of learning. However, that beans talking thing is definately a no go for me, too.

Just about any word can be used as a bad word if it's used to hurt or make fun of people. As long as he isn't going around calling people "smelly farts" "fart head" etc or discussing it at the table I don't think the book is that big of a deal and your hubby should lighten up a little.

1 / 3