How Much Is a Tooth Worth to the Tooth Fairy?

My six year old went to the doctor and he said she will be losing her teeth soon. My question is how much should the tooth fairy leave? My husband said five dollars, which I think is too much. I remember getting a half dollar piece. But that was a long time ago. Please help!

Wow thanks for all the responses I think I will go with most of you with a gold dollar approach. I never thought I would get so many great responses. Thanks so much!!:)

My oldest is only 5 so I don't have any experience with this yet, but I did tuck away an idea that a co-worker used when her daughter lost a tooth. The tooth fairy always brought a silver dollar (kinda "special") and a new toothbrush and some times fun toothpaste that "you" would never buy -

I thought those were great ideas! Good luck -

Hi J....I give out one dollar for each tooth and I fold it in a special way. Sometimes like a fan, or a kite or even just a tiny square. They can't wait to see what it will look like!

~J.

I know I am late in responding, but I just wanted to add a story about what my son did after he lost his first tooth...

My 5 yr old lost his first baby tooth (on the bottom) and the Tooth Fairy brought him $5 just as she had done with my first two children...well...he was SO Excited that later that day I was working in my home office and he had been playing quietly in his room when he came into the office with a mouth full of blood and blood running all down the front of his shirt!! I FREAKED out and grabbed him up and ran to the bathroom to see what had happened where he showed me his toothless grin...

He had PULLED Out his other bottom tooth next to the one he had lost with a pair of PLIERS!!! He then proceeded to tell he how he was going to have LOTS of money because now the Tooth Fairy could bring him $5 more tonight!! And he had a FULL mouth of teeth and he could Pull ALL of them out and go shopping at the Toy Store!!!

Needless to say we had to explain that the tooth fairy only brings money for teeth that fall out on their OWN and he got nothing for that tooth!! We then took him to see then dentist who had to put a bit of a scare into him because he was seriously thinking about pulling out more teeth! CRAZY!! I know!!!

We now only give $1 per tooth to him. He just lost one last week (he is almost 7 now) and every time he loses one and gets a $1 he seems to want to pull out another to get more money! YIKES!!! THis child is going to be the death of me!!! LOL!!

My children never got money, their tooth fairies gave them little trinkets. They never knew what it would be!
My first daughter got a tiny stone animal figure (the kind they make in Mexico), a tiny Russian glass bird, a little wooden dala horse... always made from natural materials (no plastic) because my daughter was a fairy expert and she told me fairies only like natural things. Is there a World Market store near you? They have great little things, for pretty cheap...

Other things were a painted wooden heart, a piece of quartz crystal, a pretty agate, a glass heart... a little fairy dust with these things was so magical!

Our tooth fairy still leaves my children a special little glass bottle or box with all of their teeth inside of it when they loose their last tooth.

We gave our daughter gold Sacajawea dollars, that way she could easily identify her tooth fairy money. Now they have the gold Presidential dollars. I haven't seen them, but I think that would be good, too. It was never the dollar amount as much as the unique coin.

Another thought....if you have two film cases (35mm rolls) have your daughter put one under the pillow with the tooth in it and put the money in the other one. As long as they are matching, she won't know they are different containers. It's easy to find and swap film cases under the pillow.

~J.

Whoa! I wish your husband was my tooth fairy!!
4 Quarters, a half dollar or a Susan B Anthony is what my kids have gotten. My 13 year old just lost his last mollar last night. All the tooth fairy had was dimes. He was happy. P.

I also have a six year old who has lost two teeth. We were unsure of what to give as well and decided that one dollar is plenty for a tooth. I know other parents give more, but I don't think it's necessary. I hope that helps you with your decision.

R.

How about a golden dollar coin? Makes it special.

OK I HAVE To chime in on this one! I have a 6 1/2 year old who has lost 4 teeth. We panicked the first time and gave her a collector's silver dollar. Then again for the next one. THEN we decided that was insane! THEN my Husband gave her $10 for the 3rd one... ENTER the book "you think its easy being the tooth fairy?" by Sheri Bell-Rehwoldt! Buy this book for your children. This tooth fairy is not the typical one with fairy wings, she rides a turbo powered surf board! She is smart and funny and strong! She has to lug a bag of "QUARTERS" on her nightly rounds! QUARTERS! Well needless to say my daughter got a special QUARTER for her 4th tooth from that tooth fairy and she was in awe! I placed the quarter on note she wrote to the tooth fairy and wrote congrats from the fairy and left her tooth on the quarter. I threw in some fairy glitter for effect! VOILA! Happy 6 year old. No stress on mommy and daddy.

I am S. Wyatt: allgiftsmusic.com. My music and my work centers around self esteem in children and healing the inner child within.

1 / 3