How Long Does Frozen Breast Milk Stay Good??

I was only able to breast feed for 4 months when my milk dried up so I do not know the answer to this question. My friend has a new born and a TON of breast milk but she is worried about the milk spoiling..how long will breast milk stay fresh when frozen? Is milk that she froze from February safe to give the baby now in April?? I told her I would try to find out and would appreciate any feed back.

Have her check out www.kellymom.com That site has safe handling and storage guidlines and all sorts of good info for breastfeeders. Just in general, frozen breastmilk will last about 3-6 months in the freezer attached to a fridge and 6-12 month in a deep freeze. But that is assuming that you are keeping all of your pump parts clean, freezing it when it is super fresh and storing it properly.

I beleive it is 3-6 mo.'s in a regular freezer, 1 wk. in a fridge and 1 year in a deep freeze. But you could call your local W.I.C. office and ask them. To make sure but I'm pretty positive that is it I breast fed both of my children they are 3yr.s and 2yr.s old.

I was told that if you freeze it in the regular freezer it is good for 3 months and in the deep freezer it is good for 6 months. I was also told never to keep it in the door of the regular freezer because it doesn't stay as cold.

It depends on what kind of freezer she has. From what I was told by a lactation consultant is in a normal freezer that comes with your fridge, it stays good for 4 months. If it is a stand alone freezer, then it's good for 6 months. Milk she froze in Feb would still be good now.

Hope that helps!

1 / 3