How Long Does Homemade Baby Food Last?

Hello

I have decided that I will be preparing my son's baby food myself. My doctor suggested waiting on serving baby food until next month, but because of the person I am- I like to plan ahead. Having a little one doesn't leave you much time, so I'd like to start within the next week or so to at least have a supply ready. Do you think that making it now and freezing it will keep the nutritional value? Will it last a month?

PS I'm doing organic veggies first- not sure if that makes a difference. =)

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Thank you all for the great advice. I always knew that I wanted to serve him the freshest and most healthiest food from the beginning, so I already purchased the book Blender Baby Food and the Petit Appetit. With all the great advice I received I think I will start slow and make it and serve it to my little one at the freshest state. Most likely introducing avocado first, seems like the easiest. =) I was also lucky enough to be given a baby food grinder for Christmas, so I can't wait to use it! Thanks again.

My next book will be to buy Baby Blender- looks to be a top choice for most parents. =)

I am a mother of 2 boys, ages 6 yr and 18 mo. I too made their baby food, and was very successful at it. I used a mini food chopper or Cuisinart and after the items were steamed, I would emulsify them with a little water. I would then freeze the item in ice cube trays, then pop them into a freezer bag labeled with the date and item. I used to store the cubes for a couple of months, but I ended up using what I froze quicker than it could stay in the freezer. But it was very convenient, tastier and less expensive, all you have to do is put 2-3 cubes in a bowl and microwave for a few seconds, and done!

I made my daughter's food when she was a baby and plan on doing the same for my son when the time comes. Here is a site that I refer to often:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/pureestore.htm

I'm with you on this one! I have a 4 yr-old, 2 1/2 yr-old and 17 month old who were all fed with homemade fruit and veggie purees! I learned that freezing orange-colored veggies (carrots, butternut squash) froze better (as in taste and color) better than than the green-colored veggies like broccoli, zucchini or green beans. Peas and spinach froze better though. Don't season them because it will compromise the taste and durability of its frozen state. I found that fruits that are pureed don't taste as well if you freeze them. They're better off refrigerated if you start pureeing them on a weekly basis. Also, if you like, when your son is older, you can introduce chicken or veggie stock instead of water when you puree the veggies for more flavor. If you buy veggies/fruits in its freshest state and freeze them immediately after pureeing, you will not lose much of its nutritional value. So, freezing them 3-4 weeks in advance will keep you well-prepared! Good luck!

P.S. I still puree butternut squash (freeze & store)and sneak them in their mac-n-cheese and pureed spinach in their brownies! They never know!

I started making my daughter's food when she was ten months old. I was working so I would make big batches on the weekend and freeze it in ice cube trays and then transfer the cubes to ziplock bags. There is a great book called Homemade Baby Food Pure and Simple by Connie Linardakis and she gives this chart for the freezer shelf life of food: breastmilk- 1 year, vegetable and fruit purees- 4 months, purees with milk-2 months, purees with meat- 4 months. She recommends keeping your freezer at 0 degrees and never refreezing any thawed food. Foods that don't freeze well are bananas, avocados, eggs, tofu, soft cheeses and salad greens like cucumber and celery.

My daughter has been on solids for only a couple of weeks and I have made her food myself. Here's how easy it is: pick up some organic sweet potatoes. Wash them. Throw them in the oven for a while and do other stuff. At some point, when they're soft, take them out and let them cool. Do other stuff. Some time later, open them up, scoop out the insides and squish with a fork. Done. It seems silly to do that more than a day ahead of time, especially since fresh food is more nutritious than frozen. I do that with a big batch, then freeze most of it in cubes, leaving out enough for a few days, which is really a tiny amount for such little one.

You didn't say how old your little one is. Many doctors recommend starting solids earlier than most nutritionists believe is beneficial. According to my research, it's best not to start before 6 months and, actually, to wait longer if your baby seems okay.

I started my daughter a few days before she was seven months old. She likes it well enough, but isn't all that interested still. So she will clearly get a huge majority of her nutrition from breastmilk for a while yet, which is great.

Have fun!

M.:

It is super easy to make baby food. I would recommend two books - Blender Baby Food by Nicole Young and Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. The first one is really basic and easy to use. The second one is a little more of a reference book and is much more detailed. I do the same as the other responder - I steam, bake, etc. whatever I'm making and then blend it and add water as nec and freeze it in ice cube trays (with covers) and then pop out and put in a Ziploc freezer bag.

I am pretty sure you can have it in the freezer for about a month. I am going to be doing the same thing for my twin girls and purchased a great book called The Petit Appetit. It was written by a Bay Area mom and has fabulous ideas from just introducing foods all the way up into toddlerhood. And she really promotes organics as well!

Hi M.. Good for you -- and the baby! I also made made last 2 babies' food using an attchmt to my blender. I also froze their food (in zero sized Rubbermaid containers). It worked out really well! Personally, I'd hold out as long as possible to preserve as much nutrition as possible. :) If you haven't tried this before -- bake apples on a aluminum foil covered cookie sheet until soft (sides will start to droop), cool, peel, blend. Nothing but applesauce, and it couldn't get any easier! Have fun, and congrats! K.

1 / 3