How Long Did Your Spouse Stay at Hospital When Your 2Nd Child Was Born?

How long did your husband or partner stay at the hospital when your second or subsequent children were born? With my first, he obviously stayed the entire time until we were discharged. We are now due to have our second in April and he wants to do the same again (which I really really appreciate), but our daughter has an awful case of separation anxiety and won't accept anyone besides me or Dad as caregiver (and by that I mean she cries the ENTIRE time we are gone whether that is 20 minutes or 2 hours). I suggested that he be there for labor and delivery and until they move us down to Recovery. He really wants to be there the whole time.

The second...and third time around, he stayed through labor/delivery and then after I went to sleep he went and took care of the other kids

Ditto what you said - that's exactly what my hubby did. My son was just 25mo old when my daughter was born.

My husband stayed with me through the days & nights he only left to shower & get some food for himself..

my husband and my oldest son stayed entire first day then went home that night and came back the next day after my oldest got out of school. they slept at home but came during the day. Of course my situation was different they had to get home to change the girl room to a boy room before the baby that was supposed to be girl that ended up a boy came home to a pink and purple room lol.

Mine was only there long enough to see me and the baby for a few and then went back to work..... I mean really, what is the point of them being there? You are either going to sleep or be nursing. With the second baby Dad stayed home from work a day till I got home to care for our 11 month old. Tell him to use his days off for AFTER you get home and really need the help.

My husband went home to shower, eat and visit our first born after I was settled in my room. Then he came back. He left again to sleep at home with our child. I didn't need him...... but maybe your husband needs you.

we are expecting our 2nd in september and my husband will be there the whole time again. My daughter will stay at my sisters with her cousins and he will leave and go pick her up and bring her to the hospital and stuff and then take her back. But he will be staying the night:)

Your daughter wont die from crying. You didn't say how old she is, but it may actually be okay for her to learn that mom and dad leave but they ALWAYS come back.
However, when my last baby was born (4 weeks ago) my husband was there for the delivery and loved and hugged on the baby and went home in the evening with my other two boys to make sure homework was done, dog was walked, kids slept in their own beds, ect. He then came back the next morning after son was dropped off at school, dog was walked, they had breakfast. He went home again that afternoon, came back, and then went home again at night. He never spent the night...because he snores like a bear and I didn't want him there! lol It worked out fine for me!

My husband went home at night when our twins were born, and baby #3 is coming this summer. He plans to do the same and come back each day. Now might be a good time to start working with your daughter about her separation anxiety. If he really wants to be there for the new baby, let him. I know you're concerned about your daughter, but she will be in good hands. Maybe he could go home at night to eat dinner with her and tuck her in.

Mine stayed through delivery and into recovery. After an hour in recovery, they moved me to the maternity ward, and he left shortly afterwards. He was home with our 22 month-old most of the time and visited us in the hospital a few hours each day (was there for three days). I expected to be lonely, but it was nice to bond alone with my new baby!!

1 / 3