How Do You Clean Pee Out of a Mattress?

My fabulous 4 year old is still wetting the bed, which is fine, no hurry, but what can I do about the mattress? It's a normal size single bed so "washing" the whole thing is out of the question. Does anyone know of any kind of spray that would be good without being totally chemical (no Lysol I guess.) It doesn't really smell and I know urine is sterile but I just feel funny about not doing anything at all. I can wash the cover and I do use a plastic thing so it's not ever really soaked. I feel like I should give it a wipe but what sort of cleaner do I use? It's a brand-new good latex mattress that would last a long time if I don't ruin it. Thanks! I love Mamasource!

I had a cat that peed on a new mattress. I cleaned the area as best I could. I put a sprayer on a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and sprayed the entire area. I left it to dry. It completely removed the stain and the smell. It didn't bleach the fabric either. You may want to color test it first if you concerned about the bleaching effect. Hydrogen peroxide is also good for removing blood stains from fabrics-color test first.

I have used all of the following manners to deal with pee on the mattress: borax, oxiclean, baking soda, bact-out. With the first three, you can mix with water and sort of make a paste which you apply to the mattress and let dry. When dry, you vaccum off the excess. With Bact-Out, you either spray on, let sit and then towel off or use some sort of carpet shampooer to apply/suck the water out. If you can get the mattress out into the sun to dry, that should also help, as I know it's good for cloth diapers.

I use Bio Klean it is a spray smells like lime chem free-you can get it at most Health Stores or maybe Whole Foods just call around. I use a protector for the mattress most of the time-but not always
GOOD LUCK and have a great day!

try an enzyme cleaner like FOLEX (avail at home depot or pet stores)--it is for cleaning up animal urine--the enzyme "eats" up the bits and breaks down the smell/stain. we used it when we had an issue with an old cat, but have used it on tinkle accidents from the kids as well! :) check the label, but i think it is also good for removing stains/smells from other bodily discharges as well (bm, vomit--familiar if any little one gets a nasty stomach flu, etc).

Cover the wet area with either a corn starch baby powder or baking soda. Both are highly absorbant! Usually there is no odor, because they remove the moisture and the smell....but if any odor remains, Febreeze it!

GOOD LUCK and have a great day!

interestingly enough- I had the same question. Here is what I do now- First I placed a towel over the area that was wet & put pressure on it to soak up whatever wtness remains and then I clean it with a damp cloth (w/oxyclean) and repeat the drying process.

I'd try Nature's Miracle. It's a great product that is sold for cleaning up after puppy piddles. You can buy it at any pet store and it works like a dream. I've used it on many things other than pet urine.

Baking Soda will do the trick....rub it in and leave for a half and hour. It will absorb all the moisture and the smell. Vaccum it up and you are good to go!

1 / 3