How Bad Is Eating Ice? Silly Question..

You know those little plastic things you can pour juice into and make your own ice pops? Well my daughters keep asking me to use just water, to make, literally ICE pops. I mean, it's water... that's okay right? I only ask because me neighbor (the NOT psycho ones) Miss B was surprised when I told her what it was, and she said 'Can they eat ice like that? Is that good?'.... Uh, I guess, IT'S FROZEN WATER?!... I mean, it's hot, there's no sugar... ice is nice, yes?

I've chewed ice my entire life and have never had any dental problems, but I have strong teeth and have yet to have a single cavity in my life.

My hubby said that chewing ice is a form of pica and can sometimes indicate iron deficiency.

My 2 yr old LOVES to eat ice and always has. I let him, as long as it is crushed ice.

I think sucking on it is fine.
I've known people who've cracked molars biting it.
It's a bad habit to get into.
If you've looked at popsicles, they are kind of slightly spongy.
That's why you can suck the flavor/color out of them faster than they melt.
It's like the ice crystals form up but the flavored syrup almost flows between them.
Italian ice is crushed ice with a juice/flavoring poured over it.
I'd probably feel better if she were slurping crushed ice (no flavoring) instead of a rock solid ice cube-sicle.

It IS frozen water, and is healthier than sugary treats, but because there's no sugar and other ingredients will be harder than regular popsicles which have a somewhat lighter frozen consistency. Chewing ice is hard on the teeth, so I'd be concerned with children crunching on it. One of my sisters was even told not to eat ice in any form because of all the problems she had before and after wearing braces, too hard on her gums and teeth..

I've seen ice shavers to use for shaving ice for snow cones at Target, they may even be on clearance right now. Might be better for them to eat shaved ice rather than eating ice cubes, would melt faster in their mouths so less chance of them biting or chewing on it.

As a side note, my mom craved ice when she was pregnant with one of my brothers, and it was due to a mineral deficiency, like women who eat dirt during pregnancies. So make sure your girls are getting plenty of water to drink...and maybe hide the popsicle molds ; )

Eating ice can break enamel down quickly and chip your teeth and even damage your gums.

Ice addiction is usually linked to an iron deficiency. But this isn't necessarily the case here.

Chewing ice can crack your teeth. Per dentists I know ice and popcorn are the worst for teeth.

Yes, the iron deficiency ice craving is called pagophagia. There's more about it here: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/21/ice-craving-may-...
If she's taking a multi vitamin with iron, then that shouldn't be a problem.
It's pretty simple to test. If she is not taking iron, or is tested as anemic and you start giving her iron supplements, she should then stop craving ice. Probably a good thing to check with you ped about. Good luck!

Lucky you! Haha. I just know that chewing on the ice can be hard on the teeth. But if they're eating it like an ice pop than go for it!!!

It can be bad for teeth but if they are eating it as Popsicles and not chomping on it I think it should be fine :)

1 / 3