Help, My Daughter Has Had a Fever off and on for Almost a Week!

Last Saturday my 6yr old daughter got a fever, no other symptoms. I gave her children's motrim...it went away, and that was it. She didn't really have any problems on Sunday, then on Monday at daycare she got it again. And she has continued to get this fever off and on ever since. But thats it, just a fever. Yesterday we were eating supper and she suddenly said her left side hurt, and her tummy. And I vaguely remember that happening the day before as well. It didn't last long and she went about as normal. I've called into the doctor, and they said if there are no other symptoms, than she's probably fine. They said it could be her molars coming in...but could that cause fever for almost a week? Any ideas or experiences like this before?

The off/on fever finally broke!! I decided, since I had heard from so many that this viral fever could last up to 10 days, that I would wait until that point before going to the doctor to find out if it was something else. And after the 9th day...it was gone. I thought I'd never see the day. Thanks for all your input and advice.

Appendicitis? I would take her in and have them do a blood test. Pain in the left side & a tummy ache, along with fever are symptoms that I had. My white blood cell count was abnormal and they finally began to probe a little deeper into what was making me feel bad.

Sounds familiar! My 5 yr old daughter had this (what I will call a virus) about 10 days ago. It started 4th of July with a 103.5 fever and no other symptoms other than very red throat (which tested negative for strep). She maintained a fever of 100 for about 4 days and had a fever for a total of 7 or 8 days. Then it just disappeared.

Now (4 days later) my 3 yr old daughter seems to have the same thing - no symptoms other than fever.

So...my point..it seems to be a virus going around. It is slow moving and wipes them out. She will come out of it soon.

My husband was actually the first to get it over 3 weeks ago. All symptoms have been the same. I just hope I am not next.

Hang in there!

There is a virus going around. My son had this a few weeks ago and I've talked to 4 or 5 moms (work and friends, so absolutely no chance of my son getting it directly from some of these people, just an example of how widespread I think this little bug is) who said their children had the same thing. He had VERY high fever, but no other symptoms. He spiked fever varying from 104 to 106, and his average fever stayed around 103. We did take him to the doctor because it was so high and lasted so long, and they said as long as he acts fine when fever is down, and as long as fever continues to go down with medication, not to worry. They did run blood work to rule out all the scary things some other moms have posted (pneumonia, leukemia, etc.) and all came back normal. His fever lasted almost a full week. I would ride it out, and unless he fever continues to run late into next week, or other symptoms appear, not worry too much about it.

Hang in there!

Have them check her for a urinary tract infection. Sometimes those aren't easily identifiable. Kids may complain of their stomach, but really it could be their bladder. Ask her if it hurts to go pee pee, etc. Sometimes they could have an infection without pain (I know...got a UTI myself and never hurt to go, just fever). Good luck!!!

yes! i'm having the same situation,my son 5 yrs old..has fever now for 4 day..we went to doctor and check the urine, and CBC,blood test for dengue..what they found is normal,except some kind of bacteria only..maybe as you said viral and bacteria..body was infected..but they still give some antibiotic,or amoxillin.

It's quite comforting to read all of these responses, even if it means that many of our little ones have been under the weather! But same here - our 9 month old has had a nasty fever (the highest it's gone is 102) for the past week. We've been to the doctor, done the bloodwork (no pneumonia, that's what they were looking for). The doctor settled on a diagnosis of bronchitis (she could hear some congestion in the chest). Gave her a three-day dose of Zithromax and told us to treat the fever. We're on day 10...only 4 of those days were fever days (home from daycare).

A co-worker has been having this same fever thing with her 2 yr old daughter this week as well. I don't know how high the fever is but I do know she said her daughter had no other problems, just on/of fever.

My daughter went thru the same thing awhile back ....have her checked for Mono....with kids that may be the only symptom that she may have .....

ok dont panic but...it needs to be checked because it could be anything as simple as a virus or it could be a kidney infection or even appendicitis since she is complaining with her side hurting try googling the symptoms on a site like web md but you definitely need to get her to the pediatrician and if the pain in her side gets worse or she starts vomiting take her to the hospital i am sure all is well but better safe than sorry. good luck and i hope all is well with your little girl.oh and least i forget she may even be constipated ask her when is the last time she had a bowel movement.that too will cause a fever.

An ear infection can often go unnoticed except for the fever. also gall bladder or pancreatitus can be symptomatic on the upper left side... if the fever continues I would take her in for some CBC's to rule out infections...My son has a fever and his ear started bleeding and we took him in (terrified, needles to say) and turns out he had a really bad ear infection and we had no idea.

Good luck, hope she feels better
A. J

1 / 3