My 7 Year Old Keeps Getting Fevers with No Other Symptoms...

About a month a go my son had to be picked up from school because he had a high fever (103). He said he felt fine though. He had the fever for about 3 days. The doctor said it was probably just a virus. The same thing happened about a week later for 2 days and not again yesterday it started. He has a reoccuring fever but no other symptoms at all. Any ideas? There have been colds in the house and my youngest has croupe and a sinus infection.

First of all.. THANK YOU to everybody for all the responses! My son has been fever free for today! I made an appointment with his pediatrician and will pish for some testing to be done. Yesterday he had a low grade fever for much of the day and was complaining of his neck hurting. I certainly will not ignore this and hope to get some answers soon.

I might consider getting a second opinion on that - fever is a body's way of signaling that there is something being fought internally, infection or otherwise. I wouldn't blow it off too quickly.

My daughter gets fevers and no other symptoms too. But I think some kids may have a better tolerance for pain so they say that nothing hurts. You may want to still take him to the doctor just to check for throat, ear, etc. Otherwise some kids have a strong immune system that a little fever is all the body needs to start to fight whatever cold/flu/virus coming on and nips it in the bud. I hope this helps a little for you.

Hi A., I had a similar incident with my son a few years ago, check to see if his 6 year molars are breaking threw!! Just an idea, hope all is going well for you.

You have received a lot of responses. I just want to agree that it is worth taking him to the doctor. A few years ago my son was getting high fever and said that he felt OK. But I also know that he fortunately is not a complainer, and has a high tolerance for discomfort. Anyway, it would come for a few days and be especially high in the afternoon and evening. During the day he generally seemed fine. It turned out to be strep throat twice and an ear infection another time. I also took he to an ENT who was the first person to ever tell me that my sons tonsils were very large and that he has inflamed sinuses and nasal passages...

The same thing was happening with my 1 year old. I know big age difference. I was told it was just somethign viral. Going around. I took her to an immediate care center after 3-4 days of having a fever and it turned out she had ear infections in both ears. Like the other responses, I would get a second opinion.

I would pay close attention to your son. Is he sleeping more than usual, is he eating less? Your doctor could be correct, however, an unexplained recurring fever is not something that should be ignored. It could be nothing but a fever is usually an indication of something even if it is a minor virus. We have our own experience with recurring unexplained fevers with one of our daughters. She wasn't fine and thankfully we had a pediatrician who listened to me. Another daughter had fevers also at one time(without the added fatigue and loss of appetite) and she was fine. I hope his fevers have resolved.
M. Mother of 6 four months to twelve years.

When my son was younger(6mons-2yrs)he continuously ran temps as high as 106. I found myself taking him to the doctor every other month. It got to the point where I took him to get a third opinion. I was told every time that it was just a virus and that there was no medication that could be given, let it run it's course. If I remember correctly there was only about three times there was something very serious. I would ask the Doctor to run blood test to be on the safe side. Also, my daughter just recently had a temp of 103.5 for four days, the nurse advised me to bring her back to the Doctor if it last for 4 days. I didn't get a chance to on that fourth day, she had a real bad nose bleed and had to be taken to the ER. To sum it up she had a UTI. She is doing fine now. Pray he feels better.

The flu is really bad this year, and a long lasting one. My daughter was sick for almost a month after getting croup in February (croup is caused by a flu virus).

Just remember that a fever is the bodies natural way of fighting off a virus/cold bug etc. If its not bothering your son and he feels fine otherwise you should just let him be and let it run its course. Virus/bug thrive at normal body temperature, for most even a small spike in temperature can kill it off. If there are a lot of different "bugs" floating around your house (and it sounds like there are) each fever can just be him fighting off the new one. If he is not getting sick, his immune system is working great (and he's lucky!).

I would trust your gut and if he is acting fine he's fine.

1 / 3