Out of No Where Fever

My 18 month old slept terrible last night, this morning he has a fever with no other symptoms of anything else, I felt around in his mouth and I feel no new teeth. And he acts like he feels fine unless he's trying to get to sleep, or stay asleep. He had his 18 month shots last Wed. could he just now be reacting to the shots? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you all, I took him to the doctor and as many of you said, it was an ear infection. Thanks again for all the help.

Is it possible he has an ear infection? Rubbing or pulling at his ears. Cries when layed down. I think it could also be due to the shots.

I know that if my son had bad nights with a fever, we were usually looking at an ear infection. I am not an expert but I wouldn't wait too much longer before you took him into the doctor... it just makes everyone's lives a whole lot easier if you can get everything ruled out. Also, I know that is how my son's hand, foot and mouth was started... be on the look out for that as well.

Could be an ear infection. Does he pull at his ears or do they seem sore if you try to look at them? Probably not from the shots, those symptoms are usually gone within 2 days. If the fever hangs around its probably viral or an ear infection.

i would not worry until he has kept the fever for 24 hrs or if it gets over 103. usually virus' carry high fevers and the dr will just tell you that it has to run its course. I will pray for your son, he is going to be fine.

i also noticed that you are a stay at home mom. so am i, of 3 and a wonderful husband who acts 8 sometimes. lol. i recently stumbled onto a business opportunity and would love to share the details with you if you are interested in making some extra money to help out with the family expenses or mabye start a vacation fund. (i wish we could do that)

if you are interested please visit my website at www.formyrugrats.com

Thank you so much and have a blessed evening!!

Fever and no other symptoms could be a urinary track infection.

I am a Grandmother (MiMi), this weather has really been crazy latlely and maybe he might some kind of allergies or a little bit of a cold. I take care of granddaugther and give her a health beverage that I am a wholesale dist. of it seems to help her with teething(never has had a problem sleeping or with new teeth coming in), no colds with this crazy weather, and when she does have shots she is fine!! When they are so young you worry a lot and you yourself do not get a lot of sleep, best advice if fever continues call the dr.

Most likely he caught something from the Dr's office. Many viruses present with a fever and later will show other symptoms. It is not likely that it is related to the shots. Give him Tylenol or ibuprofren. You can alternate each every 3 hours normal dosage if the fever is high (check with your Dr.) You can also spray his hair with a water bottle and keep it damp to keep fever down if it is high, or sponge baths. anything that will cause the water to evaporate to keep him cool. I would wait another day before bringing him in. Most likely it is a virus, but if it is something else, if the fever just presented it will take a day or 2 for other symptoms to come out. Keep him comfortable.

Depending on how high the fever and if it's controllable. When my son was that age he would get spiking fevers. It was due to constant ear infections. He had to get tubes put in his ears. Be carefull with the fever, especially if it comes out no where. My son went into a seizer a couple of times because of the spiking fevers. Your doctor may refer you to an ENT if it's ear infections.

Hi. I don't know if this will help, but that is what happens to my son when he has strep. He will have a sudden fever for a few days without symptoms, or at least symptoms he can tell me about. His fevers are usually 101-103. Good Luck

It could be nothing ... or he could be coming down with something. One thing I learned about my son from age 9 mos or so to about 18 mos: after he went to the doctor, even for shots, he came down with a cold or other illness! It is hard to say...but maybe extra rest could be beneficial. Good luck!

I would check his fever constantly and check his glands to make sure they are not swolen. Although it may be teething (because they do not have to have any signs of teeth coming in), it could possibly be an infection. My daughter had an infection when she was 3 months old and she ended up having to go into the hospital and have surgery to remove the infection (where it was swelling). Her symptoms started out with just a low grade fever and I didn't realize until we got to the doctor, that her lymph nodes were swelling up. She had a very low grade fever for a couple days (with no other symptoms) before I took her to the doctor. Please don't worry because of what I am saying. It is probably just teething or something minor, but all that to say, I would keep a close eye on it and take him to the pediatrician if you are concerned.

1 / 3