Hair Styling My Girl's Hair- It's Always Stringy and Crazy!

Hi all!

I have 3 daughters - 2 four-year olds and a two-year-old. I can never get their hair to look nice! I get it cut by a professional regularly, and I wash and condition it. One daughter has a huge cowlick on the back of her head, so her hair grows forward. The other two have really fine, wispy blond hair.

After brushing their hair, they have about one minute before it starts looking stringy. Should I use more expensive hair products? Should I just always have it in pony tails? Are they old enough to have it curled with a curling iron or will that damage the ones with fine hair?

They always look like homeless kids and I want them to look cute!! Thanks!

I have a daughter who has very long hair for a 3 year old and I was in a rut of always putting it in a ponytail and then I found this cool site..it has lots of great ideas and tips for product for childrens hair its..
http://www.shedoeshair.blogspot.com/

its a great site to get new ideas.

You got some great advice here, so I will just be quick and say that hair gel is great for fine hair, it will make the braids and ponytails hold longer and it reduces flyaways. Baretts and bows are good too, but don't stress too much, a little messy hair now and then will not do any damage!

I am a big advocate of always doing little girls hair -- mostly because it's fun. I found this excellent website that gives ideas on how to do it -- it's called shedoeshair.blogspot.com. They have links to lots of other sites that have little girl hair styles, too -- including one that's called cowlicks and curls.

And I'm not sure the amount of damage done with a curling iron -- I'd say as long as it's not falling out or breaking after doing it for a little while, you should be just fine -- especially if you're using a ceramic iron that doesn't stay on the hair that long. Wow, that sounded really obvious. Sorry.

cut all their hair in a short bob or aline. it will always look like its done and they won't look like ragamuffins...
then as their hair grows out it will possible come in a lot thicker.
good luck I know i have 2 girls also and thats what worked for me.

I have the same problem! I'll do my four year old's hair, and within like 30 seconds, it's already falling out of whatever I put it in, and it's all wispy in her face! On top of that, she'll only let me work on it for about a minute before she's telling me to stop because she's done. I really just put it in a ponytail a lot, and put a little clip on the side to keep the wispies off her face as much as possible. I'll be reading your responses, because her hair NEVER looks cute!

I have 2 girls that are now 14 and 12 and had the exact same problem with they were little.

My answer was in the hair product. I discovered that because they had fine hair (my niece has the cowlick lucky girl) that the ingredients were really important.

I switched over to Arbonne products because they don't have a lot of the ingredients that products off the shelf have. My sister in-law did the same and neither of us could believe the difference it made. MY 14 year old is known as "girl with the perfect hair" around her high school.

If you would like info on Arbonne please let me know. I can tell you how to get some samples so you can try before you buy.
Thanks
D. Mally

http://www.shedoeshair.blogspot.com/

its a great site to get new ideas.

I use curlformers for my daughter's hair. I got them at Sally Beauty Supply, if you're interested. They are spiral and mesh, you use kind of a hook tool to put them in the hair. They create spiral curls and are comfortable to sleep on, as opposed to the old style my mom made me sleep on! They're fast and easy and won't heat damage their hair. My sister's kids all have hair like that. We call it chicken hair. She's the one that discovered these curlformers, and they work great for her kids hair.

roll their hair in rollers. It'll make their hair thicker and help disguise that cowlick. then pin it up on the side or put in a ponytail. I wouldn't waste my money on all the expensive products. They're kids. And you probably shouldn't be washing their hair everyday...only if it's really dirty. You may be able to blow dry the cowlick in the other direction using a low heat setting, provided she'll sit still long enough. But again, don't overdo it. You could also use a curling iron on low setting.

Try using a lighter conditioner, like a spray in detangler instead of cream. Also, a light control gel and a blow dryer (unless the dryer scares them) might help.

1 / 3