Food Ideas for Baby Shower - Expecting Mom Has Gestational Diabetes

I'm throwing a baby shower next month for my SIL and she just found out that she has gestational diabetes. I know that she has to stay away from sugar and only have carbohydrates, (i.e., pasta), in moderation. Does anyone have any ideas or tips on the kind of food to serve? Or maybe if you know of some kind of website that may have recipes. Thanks in advance for any help you may have.

I had GD with my first pregnancy. For my work baby shower, someone got me a sugar free cake from Around the Clock in Crystal Lake. It was very thoughtful and really yummy!!

Maybe do a google search for atkins or south beach diet recipes. They are all low carb. Have fun!

Fish dish
Chicken and veggie dish
Different types of salad - tuna, chicken, green, fruit
Quiches

I would try to get a veggie tray and maybe some fruit. Although, you have to be careful with fruit as well. Instead of doing a huge cake, see if you can find a place to do Petit Fours. They are individual cakes and that way she won't be as tempted to eat a big huge amount and throw off her diabetes. Hope this helps!

I threw a shower at my home for a friend with GD too. My co-host prepared the food. She made four different quiches. Two with meat, and two others with veggies (cheddar and broccoli and the other with zucchini). It was a hit. You can prepare them ahead of time and stick them in the oven to heat before guests arrive. We served them with fresh fruit. It was a light, but satisfying lunch. We had about 18 people there.

Hi Denise,
I also had gestational diabetes and the main thing I noticed was that you always combine whatever you are eating with some protein. So maybe you do a big fresh green salad with grilled chicken breast in it and then along with your standard dressing options maybe have a basic vinegarette or just provide oil and vinegar for her. Then I'd definitely have fresh fruit which in moderation or combined with protein won't raise her blood sugar too high. Something with eggs would be good or you could do some cheese appetizers. I guess basically the diet i had was lots of veggies and low fat protein with some complex carbs thrown in and minimal whole fruit. If you don't want her missing out on dessert you could provide some dark chocolate truffles or small bite size pieces that she could have one or two of.

You could do an Italian anti-pasti theme...cheeses, meats, olives, bread for those who can have it. Cesar salad (or go get a bottle of the yummy dressing from Olive Garden.

Moms who have gestational diabetes need to balance their carb intake with their protein intake. Just be sure to have as much protein foods (nuts, cheese, meat) as you do carb foods (fruit, veggies, bread, crackers). The mama will know how to balance her portions! How nice of you to throw her a shower! Have fun. =)

1 / 3