Just Found Out I Have Gestational Diabetes

Ok, i just found out yesterday and lo and behold its the weekend so i won't get to a doctor or nutritionist before midweek i'm sure....i'm going a little nuts wondering what i can eat!! i'm one of those people that isn't even sure what a carb is or whether fresh fruit is a no-no or not.....dang and i like it so much!! i'm really not sure what to do in the meantime until i get to a specialist AND even then i'm really not sure how i'll stick to it all for the next two-three months!!!! any advice or help from those that know? thanks!

Greetings K.:

I'm a doula in the FW area and I work for an agency that provides a great deal of education for free. Feel free to contact me and I will gladly share what information and knowledge I have to offer.

Love and blessings,
N.
###-###-####

The same thing happened to me with my first child...it took me 5 days to get to the nutritionalist. Let me first of all tell you how much I like to eat!!!! This is not that hard...I promise...you'll get through it! Until you get to the nutritionalist, stay away from sugar...candy, ice cream & what they call "blatant" sugars. This was hard for me b/c the only thing that stopped my nausea thoughout the days was a Dr. Pepper. I was not able to keep my sugar levels down by eating any starches. I ate a lot of lean meats & veggies. Remember to eat about 4 - 6 times throughou the day. Eggs in the morning, low sugar fruit like an apple mid-day, chef salad for lunch (I ate LOTS of this), cheese & apple mid-afternoon, lean meat & veggie (non-starchy like steamed brocolli) and then don't forget an evening snack before bed. Good luck & at least for me, I actually lost weight when I was pregnant b/c I was eating so healthy, but I could do that b/c I started out overweight to begin with. Again, good luck!

I had gestational diabetes. It is hard, but you can do it. A carb serving is 15 grams. Carbs come from sugar. Read the ingredients on everything. You should have 3-4 carb servings per meal, as well as balanced protien with a little fat. You should be eating 2-3 snacks a day between meals. Fresh fruit has natural sugar so you have to be careful. A small apple is 1 carb serving. You can use that for a snack. I loved apple slices with peanut butter. I got my carb and protien for my snacks that way. Cheese is a good source of fat. Especially if you get one low in carbs. Small bags of chips are 1-2 carb servings. IF you stick to your diet, you can keep your blood sugar normal. It's hard. YOu will probably get frustrated. You may even be tempted to cheat, but remember you are protecting your baby. If you would like any further advice let me know. I could also send you copies of the information I have if you would like.

I was diagnosed as a borderline diabetic. My doctor told me to buy the basic South Beach Diet book. She says the information in that book about blood sugar was written by a doctor and is accurate. The book gives lists of foods and sample meal plans, etc. It should answer all your questions. You should be able to get the original at a second hand store. The newer version is more of a diet book and less of a nutritional book.

Good luck and happy pregnancy!!

D. Kimbriel
Grandma to 2 beautiful boys

I had it too and I was anxious about it. Mine was controlled by diet and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. It actually helped because I didn't end up gaining a ton of weight during pregnancy!

Fresh fruit is considered a carb. My nutritionist told me to have 5 servings of fruits/veggies per day. I could not have fruit during the first two meals of the day or the last meal. I had to eat 6 small meals a day. Here is an example:

1. (2) carbs
(1 oz) meat
(1) fat
So for that meal I would have...a glass of milk (carb), 1 egg (meat), and 1/2 english muffin (carb).

2. (2) carbs
(1 oz) meat
(1) fat
1/2 Peanut butter sand (fat, meat, and 1 carb), glass of milk (carb)

3. (3) carbs
(2) veggies
(3 oz) meat
(1) fat
Grilled cheese sand (2 carbs, meat, fat), orange (carb), carrots (veggie)

4. (3) carbs
(1) fat
2 small blueberry muffins (2 carbs, fat), small apple (carb)

5. (3) carbs
(2) veggies
(3 oz) meat
(1) fat
Mashed potatoes (carb), green beans (veggie), salad (veggie), chicken (meat), butter (fat), milk (carb).

6. (1) starch
(1 oz) meat
(1) fat
Triscits and pb

The last meal (#6) I could not have milk either. I needed to eat 3 servings of dairy a day. It is also about portion size. Make sure to read labels. Usually 15g of carbs is considered 1 serving. 1/2 of a banana is considered a serving. A small apple is 1 serving. I am not a big meat eater, but I noticed if I ate meat and stayed away from starchy veggies I was okay. Walking is really good too. You can lower your blood sugar just by walking around the block.

Hope this helps! Good luck, it will be fine! :)

There is tons of info. online about this, I'm sure. YOu need to stay away from simple carbs. Think anything white. White bread, potatoes, white pasta, sugar. Replace those refined and simple carbs with more complex ones, items made with whole grains. You are going to have to become a label reader. Look for WHOLE Wheat in the label. Stay away from things that say "enriched" like enriched wheat flour. Stay far, far away from things that have High FRuctose Corn Syrup. It is in so many things you won't believe it! Try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible, in fact. You will probably have to eat small meals often with protien in each one.

I hope this helps until you can get to a nutritionist.

Good LUck!

hey... some good ideas for you are to be sure that you drink at least 64 ounces of water a day... that keeps everything flowing. If you stick to the food pyramid... 2 milks, 5 fruits and veggies, 4 meats, 9 breads, 2 fats (I think thats 1500 or so calories a day) you'll probably be okay... switch to wheat breads, unbleached flours, wheat or wheat duram pastas, sweet potatoes instead of regular, or at least do that half and half, and watch your sugar intake. And find a way to check your blood sugar! Fresh fruit isn't bad in moderation, and just allow yourself so much sugar, with the knowledge that starch turns into sugar for a diabetic. Another good plan is to do your starchy sugary foods before lunch, and burn it off during the day... remembering that your metabolism slows at night.

these are just some things that help me control my diabetes, and remember that you have to take in a little sugar, or you'll bottom out, or get all weak and shakey.

Also, my ob swore that sugar substitutes didn't hurt the baby, but Splenda or xylitol is the only one i'm really comfortable with.

good luck!

K. I know that it can be overwhelming this sort of news. I am an RN and a childbirth doula and so frequently have to deal with this sort of thing with pregnant mommas! Your doctor will ensure that you get the appropriate education on nutrition for the remainder of your pregnancy. Some easy things to remember that if it is white (i.e. pasta, bread, potatoes) it is a carbohydrate which turns into sugar when it is broken down. Try to have a protein rich (lean meats, nuts, dairy) diet and limit your sweets as much as possible. While fruits do contain sugar they aren't as bad for you as the pure sugar that is in a candy bar.

Best of luck to you!

Grrr! I hate that! I never know how I'll survive. :)

Until you can get a full diet regimine, eat small meals all day long, always include a protein--egg, milk, cheese, beans, peanut butter, chicken, that sort of thing. The before breakfast snack and before bed snack are the most important--simply an egg, then graham crackers with pb. They get you ready for the ups and downs of bloodsugar. Anything with added sugar is pretty much a no, carbs are things like breads, potatoes, corn, crackers, cereal, you know. Go easy on carbs and heavy on vegetables, always including a protein.

Good luck! You'll survive! :)
~A.

You should be able to call your doctor or the one oncall, to get information to get you through the weekend.

1 / 3