Eating Before Glucose Tolerance Test

I am going in on Thursday for my glucose tolerance test. With my first born it was early in the morning. I didn't eat anything before I went in, because I was scared whatever I ate would make the test positive. However, my test this time around is late in the afternoon. The doctor warned me about being careful with what I ate the morning before but didn't give me a list of foods to avoid. Obviously I shouldn't eat anything made with sugar like a cinnamon roll, but I don't know which foods have hidden sugars. I was hoping to find out which other foods I should avoid that day. Do things with natural sugars like fruit count, or should I avoid those that morning, too? I just don't want to have to do the fasting, three hour test because I failed due to eating something wrong. Thanks!

Avoid carbohydrates, grains, potatoes, cereal, pasta - it's all sugar. Protein (meats, cheeses, etc) and vegetables. You can call wherever you are going to take the test and they may be able to give you a list. You can also google "preparing for glucose tolerance test" - there might be some good answers there as well.

If your anything like me, not eating is going to make you feel sick especially after drinking that drink on an empty stomach. I was always told to eat before just avoid high sugar foods. Eggs, and whole wheat bread with water for breakfast. Grilled chicken salad for lunch, just watch which kind of dressing you use, and water. You'll do fine, I passed all three of mine and ate before. Avoid anything that comes in a box, I would skip the fruit, and anything other than water. :)

Best way to be safe is call the office and ask. They won't want to have to re-do the test either. Although I've done it 3x, mine was always first thing and I was told to not even chew gum...??? So definately ASK :)
Good luck and congrats!

As a lab tech, our rule for the one hour GTT was actually NO fasting. Eat a normal "atkins diet' themed breakfast (like you said, no cinnamon rolls!) and don't eat within one or two hours before the test. You'll be fine. If there are no problems to begin with, this will not knock you over the top, and if it does, then something needs to be addressed anyway. Win win.

I am going in for my glucose tolerance test in two weeks. This too is my second pregnancy, and I failed it with my first pregnancy to a very negligible amount, but after the 3 hour glucose test - everything came back fine. I recently asked my doctors the exact same question you have here. My test is also in the afternoon, and this is how I was instructed: Breakfast, 1 piece of whole wheat toast and 1 egg. Snack: vegetables such as carrot sticks. Lunch: Something with protein such as grilled chicken and an avocado. Only drink water, no candies or chewing gum, and try to watch your sugar intake the day before the test as well. I was instructed specifically NOT to fast. I was also told to avoid fruits, so if I were you, I wouldn't have those the day of the test. Also, do not eat or drink anything after you drink your glucose solution. Best of luck!

If you can do it, I'd recommend fasting; however, if you need to eat, I would stay away from most sugars and carbs. I ate eggs without my usual toast and ketchup (plain was aweful but a false positive would have been worse) and had black tea before one of my tests. The other two I fasted completely.

I noticed a lab tech said not to fast. Well, I got a false positive with BOTH of my children on the 1 hour when I did not fast. (I was borderline really, 139 and 137, the cutoffs were 140 and 135 respectively--they lowered the cutoff since my first child.) With the second I ate eggs with cheese ONLY (not even whole grains) and the doctor said it could have been the fat that gave me the false positive. With my first child, the doctor had me redo the 1 hour and I got 141. She then treated me like I was diabetic rather than have me do the 3 hour! With my second I did the 3 hour, where you HAVE to fast. It was perfectly normal! In fact, I was faint and dizzy due to having such low blood sugar at the end of it all. Some people can eat before and do fine. You will not know it unless you try...but the 3 hour really does SUCK, I must say! If it were me (knowing what I know now about my body), I would reschedule the test for the morning and fast. Or at least fast for 3 hours beforehand--eating a late breakfast Atikins style, but watching the fat! Good luck to you!

I would strongly suggest that you call your doctor and ask him for some specific instructions. I would also ask him if you can't reshedule it for early in the morning. There is no reason for you to have to be miserable...and if you are anything like me...that glucose is going to make your stomach rebel...so you really need to have SOMETHING in your stomach!!!

1 / 3