Carb-Loading Before 3-Hour Glucose Tolerance Test?

I found out that I failed my 1-hour GTT (143) and need to do the 3-hour GTT. This is my second pregnancy. During my first pregnancy, I also failed my 1hr but passed my 3hr GTT. I'm still worried though. I also found out something new. I need to follow a high-carb diet for three days prior to my 3hr GTT...something I wasn't told to do during my last pregnancy. I remember my old OB told me to just eat normally except no eating after 8pm the night before my test. I'm just a little uncomfortable with carb-loading. I don't normally eat a high-carb diet but not a low-carb diet either. Too much carbs makes me feel nauseous. The nurse I talked to said if I don't follow the diet I might fail the 3hr GTT since that's standard procedure.

I was normal size before pregnancy (121 at 5'0") and I've gained a normal amount of weight thus far (now 138).

Thoughts and opinions?

Edit:
Thank you so much for all the advice and response. I apologize that carb-loading is probably not the most accurate word to use in this case. The diet actually recommends one additional serving to the "normal" serving of carb that an individual should eat. However, that IS carb-loading for me...that would mean I have to eat at least 4x the amount of carbs I normally eat. I think the doctors/nurses/etc should consider that each individual is different which I think is the biggest variable that affect the result of the GTT. I'm not going to stuff myself with carbs and make myself sick. That wasn't how I passed my 3-hour GTT during my previous pregnancy. Thank you everyone for the reassurance and advice. Wish me luck!

I passed! All four were within normal limits; the nurse said I would be allowed two elevated results before deemed diabetic. I just ate my normal diet (relatively low starch, plenty of veggies and some fruits, and moderate protein) -- didn't follow the diet they gave me. Then I fasted for 12 hours before the test.

Where are you having the testing done? When I had mine done years ago (yeah... I had to have the 2nd one also)... I didn't do it at the doctor's office. I had to go to the lab. If you know the lab, call THEM and Ask THEM what the proper instructions are for the test.

That is what I would do.

That is what I would do.

Victoria is right on! If you have the lab slip, call them. I work for a national testing lab (in women's health) and have never seen that directive.

The fasting is also 8 hours before the test, not necessarily 8 pm.

I had to have the 3 hr test with both pregnancies (failed 1 hr test both times). Passed the 3 hr the first time but not the second...but I was 15 years older the second time. Neither time was I told to carb-load...in fact, I have never heard of this before. Carbs turn straight to sugar so it seems odd to me.

This seems wrong. It would seem to increase your chances of failing the test, since carbs turn to sugar. I agree that calling the lab and asking them would be a good idea.

I was NOT told to do anything but eat normally the day before the test and I did pass.

I had to have the 3 hr with both my girls and we told to eat normal and to watch my carbs. I passed with both. I would call the doc or the lab and double check because that sounds a little strange.

I ate protein before my three hour and blame granola for causing me to fail my one hour. Why you would carb load make no sense to me, seems like it would cause you to fail again.

I've never heard of that..... it has been many years since I had to do the 3 hour glucose test, but I also failed my 1 hour tests (both times), but passed the 3 hour tests.

(I had to take the test twice during my last pregnancy..... once at 3 months, and again at 6 months.... I had 2 factors against me.... I was "older" (34 at the time), and I also had a parent with insulin dependent diabetes, so I had to go through the screening, also. This was during 1991.... see, I told you it had been a while since I took the glucose tests!)

With my first, I failed both my 1 and 3 hr test and was diagnosed with GD. With my second, I passed my 1 hr test, no GD (which, apparently, is weird because if you have GD the first pregnancy you have a 80%+ chance of having it with your second).

For my first, my OB mentioned that I shouldn't restrict carbs in my diet (maybe some women try and restrict them in order to pass the test?) and have a little extra carbs for a few days prior. I think he actually said, indulge yourself and have a candy bar after dinner for a few days (no, really!).

For my second, I did NOT do the extra carbs and passed.

I really think that it's just up to your body type/metabolism. I'm not 100% sure I really had GD with my first pregnancy. Sure, my blood sugar fell within the 'range' for GD during the test, but I think I'm just slow to process carbs. One of the big concerns of GD is having a large baby, and my full term kiddo was only 6lbs 7 oz!

That being said, please don't try to "rig" your eating just to pass the test. if you do in fact have a great likelihood for GD, you want to make sure you and your baby are being treated for it. All I ended up doing was monitoring my blood sugar and restricting my carbs a bit. Definitely not a big deal....

1 / 3