Ear Piercing in 7 Month Old

I'm going to be taking my daughter to the pediatrician to have her ears pierced. She will be 7 months old when she gets this done. I was wondering for those of you that have had your infants ears pierced, how were they afterwards? Were they cranky afterwards? If so, for how long? And finally, was it hard to get them to sleep at night?

Thank you all for your responses. I didn't realize I would stir up a little controversy. I just was curious how your babies were in the days following the piercing. Our pedi puts anesthetic ointment on their earlobes prior to piercing so it shouldn't hurt her. I was just interested in whether to expect a cranky baby afterwards and a struggle at bedtime, but it sounds like it should be fine...yay.

Hi V.,

At this age, she will be able to pull a rub her little ears. They will be sore and she will be unnecessarily uncomfortable.

I would wait until she asks to have her ears pierced.

Blessings......

I agree with Wendy. Why cause her pain, just to look cute? Wait til she is old enough to ask. My daughter's father wanted to get her ears pierced and we argued about it a lot, until one day in the mall we saw this 5-6 yr old little girl getting ready to get her ears pierced. She was super excited, and her family was there with their camera taking pics. They made a huge ordeal of it, and when they pierced her ears she didn't cry. She just had this huge smile on her face. It was so cool. So he agreed with me after that. It would be better to wait til she wants it and can be excited about it. She is 3 now, and absolutely does not want them pierced, lol. So might be awhile.

I got my oldest daughters ears pierced at 11mo and she never had any problems except one time 1 fell out but I was able to put it back in. But my baby I decided to get done earlier so she wont touch them and she was 8 mo old, one fell out 2 days later and I waited 2 weeks to get it redone. She was good didnt really cry but now she had an ear infection and fever and I couldnt get the earning out so I took her to the dr and the front of the earning came out the back so wont let me clean or touch that ear. I have left the other one in and will wait a month or two and maybe just take the other out and repost when she is like 4. I guess each child is different I never had problems but my sister did. good luck

Hi V.

I tend to think unless it's part of your culture that ears are pierced early on (which it very well may be) then I wouldn't pierce her ears. Why have holes added to a child's body at such an early age. I would wait until she is old enough to decide if she wants it. just my opinion.

Hi V.,

Blessings......

Why do you want to cause unnecessary pain on your daughter?! As if all the shots they have as infants isn't enough! I have had so many people ask me when I am having my daughters ears pierced and my response......WHEN SHE IS OLD ENOUGH TO ASK!!

Our rule is that she needs to be 5 years old. She knows this, and is excited about it. We talk about it, and now, when people (my mother) ask her when she is getting her ears pierced she says "When I'm 5!" Why are you getting her ears pierced?

Hi there,

Our pediatrician pierced my daughter's ears when she was 6 months and she was fine afterwards. I did give her some baby tylenol or motrin prior to getting them done though. And I believe that i gave her some before bedtime based on our pediatrician's recommendation. She wasn't any more cranky than normal. Her ears were a little tender when we had to clean them on the days immediately following the piercing but that didn't last long. We gave her lots of cuddles and love and she seemed fine.

Anything permanent to a person's body, HOLES, TATOOS, ETC
Should be done with their persmission. It is not your body and with all due respect, you should respect your own daughter's individual human rights. Wouldn't you want to allow your daughter the right to choose how her own body will look for the rest of her life? You have already had one mom tell you that as they get older the holes move to bad spots. Once those holes are open, only plastic surgery will close them up. I had my ears pierced at 10, and wore big cheap earings made out of nickel. I didnt know I had a nickel allergy and my ears were infected a lot. The heavyness of the earrings pulled on the raw infected ear and ripped the hole all the way down and separated the lobe. Now my earlobe is in two pieces. Only plastic surgery will fix it, and I aint got the money.
So please think heavily about this.
Blessings,
Gail

Don't worry. ear piercing is normal in other countries. I had both of my daughter's done when they were 1 month old with our peditrician. Unless she has sensative skin and you won't know until you peirce her ears. She will cry when you have it done and nothing afterwards unless like i said she has sensative skin it might get irrated.

PS. The child is not getting surgery - whats the matter with all of you other ladies. Ear piercing duh

1 / 3