Does Your Child Seem to Get Sick a Lot???

My son (turns 4 in June) just got over tonsilitis and the stomach bug 2 weeks ago, and he's now sick again! He's had a fever all day long and is lethargic. Not looking for medical advice or anything, I know how to treat him and what to do, just wondering if anyone else seems to be going through the same?? I felt so bad for him. It was his best friends birthday party today and he had to miss it. He was so sad. I feel like every month we get hammered with a virus. He's in preschool 3 mornings a week, I assume that's where he gets everything. Such a bummer!

No, this is his 2nd year of school. He went 2 mornings/week last year. He wasn't sick nearly as much last year. I am almost worried about some kind of immune deficiency at this point. Would that be crazy? Also, no I didn't breastfeed. But I can tell you my neighbor breastfed her children until 3 years of age and they are just as sick as my child all the time. I am really disappointed that the Breastfeeding Nazi's had to attack me on this one. You ladies are incredible, and I'm highly doubtful that your children "never, ever get sick. Ever."

My daughter (almost 5) used to get sinus infections and is to just getting over tonsillitis.

Once she got tubes put in her ears last year and has been taking Singulair, these "colds" and "flu" symptoms diminished to one every 3/4 months if that.

This year has been horrible... worse than most winters for us and everyone I know! My 5 year old daughter had Mono (a 5 year old with mono?!), a few colds, a stomach bug and a staph infection in her nose! My 3 year old had several colds, the stomach bug and a couple of one day mysterious fevers... my nieces had strep, and several other relatives had all this and several ear infections. One child in my daughters class had strep 4 times this year until they realized that his brother had it the whole time but was asymtomatic and kept giving it back to him! Now, just today we found out the stomach bug is making a second go around at my son's daycare! My kids have always been relatively healthy. They go to pre school/daycare part time and have always been in activities and playgroups and never been as sick as this year- and everyone has been saying the same... I think the fact that it was so cold and snowy this year kept people inside even more than most winters, and schools and houses are basically festering petri dishes! Still waiting for the nice weather!!

The problem with the immune system is that it can be brought low by repeated illness. It's a slippery slope. I just about never get sick. But a couple years ago I got a sinus infection which evolved into an ear infection which turned into the flue and vomiting and constant dizziness. My immune system was so compromised that I ended up sick just about all of 2 months. By the time the sicknesses was gone I felt weak as a baby.

Is there any way to take him out of preschool and not have any playdates or even go see family for a month? I would think that if you could push fluids, rest, vitamins, vegetables and fruit, limit all refined sugar for a few weeks, then he would have a chance to start going in the right direction.

We get sick a lot here too. We get a stomach bug at least once every year it seems. Also, several colds each spring and fall. I'm not sure why it seems we are more sickly than I remember being when I was a kid. Could just be a faulty memory : ) Try not to let it get you down.
@Christine J - its possible this could not be breastfeeding related. I mean, the poster didn't even mention whether her son was breastfed or not. There are so many variables that could contribute. I breastfed my first (now 5 yrs) until she was a year old and she gets just as sick as her brother (1 yr) who was breastfed for 4 months.

Have his throat swabbed-the strep is always waiting in the wings for a weak spot in which to flourish! Good luck-I know it seems endless-but soon-it will be warm and the children will all be well-and the mothers will be rested!

I feel your pain. It feels like my little one has been sick all winter. The doctor says that this winter was really rough.

They are very clean at her daycare, and very careful with the handwashing. Better than I am, to tell the truth. The one thing I'm going to try is wiping her hands immediately upon pickup, before I hand her post-daycare snack.

As for the breastfeeding crowd- the idea that breastfeeding keeps your kid from ever getting sick is B.S. How do I know? My daughter is still breastfed, at 2 1/2. And she's been sick a lot this winter. So stop being so smug. I think it may be that moms who breastfeed may be less likely to put their kids in daycare or preschool.

Our oldest almost never got sick in preschool but since starting kindergarten, it seems he is sick all the time. This year seems worse to me. I do know one child who has been doing better since he got his tonsils out - he used to get sick with strep at leats 8 times/year.

My middle child is like I was when I was little...ALWAYS catching EVERYTHING that is going around! He is 5 and it seems he is the one that just catches it all...poor baby! He has my immune system :(

~When I was younger I always got sick...had the mumps on one side of my face...then the other...then both sides at once! My older sister caught the chicken pox...I caught them from her and had a SEVERE case while hers was as mild as can be, etc. etc....

Hubby and my 2 other kids hardly EVER catch anything! Lucky dogs!!

Hmm, I breastfed both my kids and my daughter who was bf longer is sick all the time, and my son is rarely sick and never as bad as her. He self weaned at 3 she nursed til 4 and a half, bf has nothing to do with it at least in my case. Sorry someone said that because I don't think it could be true. It sounds like he may not have the best immune system, just like my daughter. I give probiotics but I am not sure they really help. But that was recommended by the Dr. I honestly have thought at times I need to keep her home to keep her healthy. I just keep hoping things will improve. I hope your little guy feels better soon!

1 / 3