JFF: College Majors

I recently heard that 75% of people are working in a field outside of their major, so I'm curious... for all you Mamas who have gone to college what was your major? Are you still working in this field today? Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!!! :-)

And just for clarity, I'm not judging on if you are or are not working in what you majored in. I am just curious... there are so many factors in life which point us down different roads. I'm just merely curious, so thanks again for all the replies I've gotten so far!!!! :-)

I majored in English, and minored in Spanish. Now I teach AP English in a school with a large Hispanic population. :)

Mechanical engineering. Worked in that field for almost 15 years. Got a master's in early childhood disorders. Worked in that for 2 years then decided to stay home when my second son was born.
Now I am a Shaklee distributor, a personal trainer and do free hand engraving.

I majored in French language/literature, with minors in Sociology and Theology. I work as a construction manager! (My dad wanted me to major in civil engineering - I guess he was right! ;)

My degree was in Civil Engineering(Environmental focus). I considered a minor in French, but didn't complete it. First I worked as a temp and it was frustrating being told to just answer the phone and don't touch the computer. Then I worked in telemarketing for 5 years and never got a job in engineering.

I like to think that my education has prepared me to be the mom of a future engineer.

My major (BS) was Hotel/Restaurant Management with a minor in Travel/Tourism and then (MS) Global Hospitality Management with a concentration in Adult Education. Until I became a SAHM I worked in hotels as a manager. When my kids go to school I'll go back to work but probably (hopefully) as a professor at a local college teaching Hospitality. It's in my blood. I LOVE IT!! :)

Political Science Major - working in Insurance :( It pays better

My degree was in fine art. I work now as a graphic designer, so it's in the same "creative" field. But what I do and what I had dreams of dong while I was in college are vastly different! Hah, I was SOOOO idealistic. :)

Accounting/Information technology management. Still using it. :)

1 / 3