JFF: College Majors

I recently heard that 75% of people are working in a field outside of their major, so I'm curious... for all you Mamas who have gone to college what was your major? Are you still working in this field today? Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!!! :-)

And just for clarity, I'm not judging on if you are or are not working in what you majored in. I am just curious... there are so many factors in life which point us down different roads. I'm just merely curious, so thanks again for all the replies I've gotten so far!!!! :-)

I majored in English, and minored in Spanish. Now I teach AP English in a school with a large Hispanic population. :)

Mechanical engineering. Worked in that field for almost 15 years. Got a master's in early childhood disorders. Worked in that for 2 years then decided to stay home when my second son was born.
Now I am a Shaklee distributor, a personal trainer and do free hand engraving.

I majored in French language/literature, with minors in Sociology and Theology. I work as a construction manager! (My dad wanted me to major in civil engineering - I guess he was right! ;)

My degree was in Civil Engineering(Environmental focus). I considered a minor in French, but didn't complete it. First I worked as a temp and it was frustrating being told to just answer the phone and don't touch the computer. Then I worked in telemarketing for 5 years and never got a job in engineering.

I like to think that my education has prepared me to be the mom of a future engineer.

My major (BS) was Hotel/Restaurant Management with a minor in Travel/Tourism and then (MS) Global Hospitality Management with a concentration in Adult Education. Until I became a SAHM I worked in hotels as a manager. When my kids go to school I'll go back to work but probably (hopefully) as a professor at a local college teaching Hospitality. It's in my blood. I LOVE IT!! :)

Political Science Major - working in Insurance :( It pays better

My degree was in fine art. I work now as a graphic designer, so it's in the same "creative" field. But what I do and what I had dreams of dong while I was in college are vastly different! Hah, I was SOOOO idealistic. :)

Accounting/Information technology management. Still using it. :)

Accouting undergrad, finance graduate school. Still using it. Accounting not as directly but still key to my job.

Hi E.-

Psychology and theatre degrees as under grad...masters in counseling.

Currently sub teaching til I decide what I want to be this chapter of my life.

Kiddos...eldest graduated with political science degree...now LT in army...maybe law school in his future?

Next...senior history major...on sabbatical (lol) for a semester while he decides what he really wants to DO (he is working full time though...)

Next, animal science junior...needs to make a choice for herself soon just what she wants to do (vet...horse trainer?)

Next...freshman...criminal justice major...just eager TO START college...since hurricane delayed his official start...

Other kiddos...still un decided...and they have time!

best luck!
michele/cat

I majored in Liberal studies with a concentration in fine arts. Basically elementary teaching. I am now a stay at home mom!

I was a finance major. The only thing I've done since graduating in my major is to balance my check book.

My wife got her teaching degree in deaf education so she could teach the deaf. She worked in her career field for 2 months. Now she is a mid level executive. Except for the first 60 days, the only thing she did in her degree was deal with our children that turned a deaf ear to us (refused to listen). ;~))

Good luck to you and yours.

My degrees are Business and Clothing, Textiles, & Merchandising.

I currently co-own our brokering/consulting business with my husband. I run all duties that a CFO (all financials and I write/sign all the checks)would do plus more since I own 1/2 the business.

This has enabled me to be a SAHM, work from home and have the opportunity to volunteer a lot with the schools.

Asian studies
Political Science
Masters - Business

Never worked in the Asian arena (lived there though). Worked in Congress for years. Now I head up a business organisation. So i suppose I have done something relating to my fields.

E., I was a vocal performance major (music) in college. I didn't go to grad school - I chose to marry my high school sweetheart instead. I sang some, while I worked in stock brokerage. So stock brokerage was my real job for 15 years. I started out as a receptionist when unemployment was very high in the early 80's, moved up into operations, got my stock broker's license on my own time, worked on an institutional options desk trading stocks and options, ran a book with my bosses selling to retail as well as institutional clients, and then became the operations manager of my office the last 9 years, while partnering with my old boss.

When I left my work life behind, moving around for my husband's career, I stayed home with my 2 kids. We moved overseas and I started singing again, doing concerts for charity. I did that for 5 of the 6 years I lived there. I have been back to my old home overseas to visit friends and when I come, they have somewhere for me to come sing while I'm there. So I take my music, a pair of high heels, and a black dress. I just wish I had a pianist here in the US now to work with. I really miss it!

But I DON'T miss working in stock brokerage. These crazy markets would tear my blood pressure up! It's a game for the young people, I have to say!

My degree is a BS in Information Systems Management and I do still work in that field today.
I was a cobol programmer for 19 years and am now a Business Analyst.
I just celebrated 25 years of service.
I am unusual in that I stayed with the company that hired me out of collage, and my years of service carried over when our IT dept was assimilated by the outsourcing company I currently work for.
I'm in it for the long haul!

I have my undergrad in Economics and Finance. I am working on my Global M.B.A., which basically just focuses on the MBA, but also international business. My current job is a Foreign Military Sales Financial Analyst. So I stayed in my field :). I left for a year, but missed it - call me a gluten for punishment but I LOVE math!!

MANY people, do not even work in the field of their majors.
They get a job, to get a job and make an income.

Me:
I did work in my degree field for a time.
But not later nor now.

My majors were:
Behavioral Sciences
Anthropolgy
Fine Arts

I have been a SAHM for several years now.

Associates in Science (Medical Assistant) & after 15yrs., still doing it & loving it!

just asked a question kind of like this... pretty interesting ideas!

http://www.mamapedia.com/questions/10100907023953690625

Communication/Marketing.
Yes. Still working in my field of study.
Got my degree 25 years ago.

My degrees were in the social sciences, A BA in Sociology with a minor in social work and a BA in Psychology. The sociology degree came about because I would not have to take college algebra. And the statistics class for sociology was taught by the sociology department head and he made sure all the sociology majors passed and understood the information. In the psych department you took stat from the math department and most flunked it at least once.

Once you had received a degree from another department within the same college the next department could not require you to fulfill their own general ed classes, you had already filled them.