Daughter Licks Her Lips

My 3 1/2 year old has just started licking her lips, and they are becoming red outside her lipline. She's complaining that they now hurt. In addition to getting her to stop is there anything special I can put on them to clear it up? Right now I just put vaseline on them.

Had a couple people suggest carmex. I tried that and now she runs from it cause she says it burns her lips. She doesn't like that carmex feeling it gives ya.
Thanks

Hello, Thank you everyone for your responses. I have decided to try Aquaphore. Seems to be working. I've taken note of all the other options as well since they all sound great. Some I have never heard of. For now looks like it's Aquaphore.

Thank you again!
A.

Hi A.~
My 5 1/2 year old son has done this for the last two winters. I have used A&D ointment. This really helps clear up the reddness and chapping. It also doesn't taste the best, so it stops him from licking more. We put it on at bedtime and in the am and it works wonders overnight. Hope this helps.

Try getting her her own chapstick in a fun flavor or with a favorite character on it. Then it'll be "her's" and she can carry it in her pocket and put it on through out the day.

A., Both my kids have that as I write! And they feel the same way about carmex! I always really liked Carmex, but I guess I was much older.... Anyway, we do straight up chapstick. It does the job of healing and protecting. I like it better than vaseline because it isn't so goopy and doesn't wipe off easily. Good luck!

I saw one other person mentioned Arbonne products--they also have a great skin conditioning oil that works really well on lips and around the lips. I HIGHLY recommend it. I use it on the whole family--mostly on our hands and on the girls' faces. It's very reasonably priced and just a drop goes a long way.

My daughter does this also (and she's almost 6! so I hope yours outgrows it faster!) from time to time and it helps when we keep reminding her how much it's going to hurt when we see her start doing it...

My 3 year old son is doing this too! It looks so sore. I used to swear by Carmex, but after becoming a consultant for BeautiControl I've learned a lot and will not use it. It's meant to be used short term on cold sores, to dry them out and help heal. It explains why you see Carmex people constantly applying it. They need to keep it on them. That was me for years! The Carmex is medicated to feel soothing, but that same feeling to a child is probably obnoxious.

I also have decided I won't use petroleum products, especially where they can ingest it. Vaseline is a great protectant, but I don't like the potential risks.

I'm now using a Melaleuca product on him since I'm a customer and use it on myself with great success. It protects great and actually softens and heals. It healed him SO quickly and he likes it. He does lick a little at it since it is mildly flavored, but enough seems to stay on that it does it's thing. I would suggest trying a Burt's Bees product or something else more natural. Putting it on before she goes outside and before bed helps protect and heal the most.

Chapstick is the only thing that has religiously worked for my kids. I also have used it on severe cases of "sore rear" (be sure to mark that one with a big X).

Aquaphor! It looks like vaseline but is much much better. Put it on her lips and above her mouth during the day, but also, go into her room once she's asleep and reapply it. When I did that my boys' lips would be almost healed by morning.

Within two days they would be completely healed.

(By the way, I'm pretty sure that stuff about Carmex being addicting is an urban myth. If Carmex works for you, then go for it.)

I've found that Lanolin cream really works great. My daughter does the same thing and I thought I would give it a try and it really works great. I has no real flavor to it and doesn't burn either with it a little goes a long way. Hope it works for you like it did us!

Don't use carmex - it is "addictive" to lips.
Burt's bees honey stick is all natural and has done the trick for my kids and is safe if they lick and ingest it. I even rub it around their nostrils when they have colds and the skin gets raw.

Carmex does work awesome! i use it in the winter because my lips get horrible. but dead serious, after putting it on once, my lips feel like they are already getting better.
I had the red lips thing when i was a child too. my mom (the sneaky thing) would come into my room while i was sleeping and liberally put it on my lips then. now that i think of it. that's what she had to do for cutting my fingernails. but I would maybe try that. if she wakes up, you can just try again or try something else.
Hope that helps!

1 / 3