College Graduation Gift from Parents

What did your parents give you for college graduation? Graduation is just two weeks away and I still don't know what to give my son. I want to acknowledge this accomplishment is a significant way, but can't think of the right thing.

He doesn't have a job yet, and is not 100% clear in the type of work he will be doing, so something career related isn't a good option. His grandparents are taking him shopping for job interview clothes...and general wardrobe updating clothes after 4 years of t-shirts and jeans.

I had hoped that I would be able to get him a car when he graduated, but that is not an option. My other dream was a major family "dream" vacation to celebrate, but a family medical crisis makes that not possible.

I'm open to all suggestions, sentimental, technological, practical, impractical. There have been numerous serious family upsets (deaths, etc) during his college years, and he has gotten his degree in 4 years in spite of it all. I am desperate to give him something to show him how proud I am and reward his accomplishment.

1983. My parents took me to lunch, and gave me $300 for a deposit on a first apartment. I bought my own interview suit with tips from my waitress job (took all summer to earn enough tips).

My mother took me on a trip to Ireland. We were not wealthy people by any stretch of the imagination, she just knew I had always wanted to go, she had already been, plus she didn't have to pay a cent for my education, so there it is.

My parents bought me a set of luggage. I think it may have been a hint to move out. I really would have appreciated a trip to Vegas along with the luggage.

ETA: I already had a car...

Back in my day we would get a pen. When did kids start needing to get lavished with "stuff" over every accomplishment?

Just my opinion: college graduation is its own reward. You don't need to get your child something extravagant to reward him. Graduation is the culmination of his hard work, and his degree is his reward.

If you were rich, and wanted to get him a car, then you could do that. However something as small as a card with some meaningful words telling him how proud you are, and dinner afterward, will suffice, if that's all your life allows right now.

Others can give you more creative ideas.

My parents through a party for me as a gift. They had already paid for my college so I graduated debt free which I think is the best gift ever.
If he has loans, how about paying off as much as you can. College cost a lot more now than it did when I went to school.

Edit I bought my parents what was considered a big screen TV back then as a thank you gift. I also wrote letters to my aunts and uncle and grandparents that were so supportive during my college years.

ETA: I already had a car...

My dad gave me a car. I gave my daughter half a car with my dad giving her the other half.

A lot of my friends gave money to put down on a car.

We seem a bit car obsessed don't we?

Really though it should just be something to say, starting your life here. I usually add do you need help packing but I am evil like that. You would be amazed how little you can fit in a Prius! :(

What is the state of and condition of his technology? New laptops have really come down in price and if he still has the computer he started college with, it is probably out of date. I would also write a letter telling him how proud you are of him for finishing his degree despite all of the upsets over his college career. You could also encourage him to use the services at the colleges to write a really good resume and some cover letters. Congratulations to your son and to you!

If you can afford the trip, can he go with a best friend ?

1 / 3