Cleaning Around the Toilet

I have 2 boys and the area around the toilet is SO gross. I clean it every night, but no matter what I use is still smells. What can I use to get the smell out?

Yeah boys are gross, I shared a bathroom with two brothers. If only they grew out of the toilet bowl aiming issue...lol. I found that not only did they both regularly hit the floor and the seat edges it was often the exterior of the bowl that was the smell culprit b/c you didn't always notice it had been "hit". Wipe down the WHOLE toilet top to bottom and the whole outside of the bowl all the way to the floor and the floor using some kind of bleach based cleaner and then hose down the whole space including lower walls with Lysol. You can also leave an open box of baking soda behind the toilet or somewhere near it that it won't be in the way to help absorb odors :)

keep a spray bottle mixed with half and half of water and fabaulso (spelling) smells good and cleans also. in the bathroom.Will remove the spell and clean at the same time. not expensive.

I use Kids n Pets. It's really designed to take the urine and/or vomit smell out of carpet and upholstery, but I find the neutralizer enzymes work well in the bathroom, too. I clean it as usual with bathroom/toilet cleaner or Clorox wipes, and then I spray that on, let it sit a couple of minutes and wipe it up. It comes in a bottle w/ a sports bottle type cap, but I put it in a small trigger spray bottle. Good luck. I only have one boy, and I think his goal is to hit everything in sight within a 2 foot radius before saving the last dribble for the actual toilet bowl.

I don't have boys...but sometimes toddler girls manage to pee on everything too...lol. I keep a spray bottle of 9% vinegar (you can get it with the canning supplies at the grocery store) and spritz down the area, let sit for a minute, and then wipe it down. It is a natural antiseptic and deodorizer.

If you haven't already -- SEAL the grout. After you clean it. That sounds like more of the issue then the urine. It's soaking into your grout. You can buy sealant at Home Depot or Lowes. Just make sure it dries before they use that bathroom again.

I've read great things about Bio-Kleen bac out for urine odors. It's a natural enzyme cleaner.

http://www.healthsuperstore.com/p-bac-out-enzyme-cleaner.htm

Kids N' Pets, or Bac-out. Both are non-toxic and non-polluting, and they work.

The same can't be said of most other cleaners, and air "fresheners" are loaded with toxic ingredients that no adult should inhale, much less any child. Those things should be illegal.

For cleaning the non-absorbent surface of the toilet, either a little baking soda or vinegar in water will do a quick and efficient job. You could even ask your boys to take turns wiping up if they're old enough (might encourage more careful aim).

Pee can seep in underneath the toilet, too. One dad I know put a bead of silicone grout around the base of the toilet. Seemed to help them.

bleach
comet with bleach
vinegar and baking soda
of course not all at the same time.....

let whatever you use sit for a few mins then come back and rinse it up
make them sit if they can't get it in the BIG hole! that is gross but common with little guys

My son has terrible aim too and I have found the problem is the grout. I have a steam shark that works really well to get out deep stains and smells. His toilet is right next to his shower curtain, so it sometimes gets overspray too. (I know, gross!) I also use vinegar and baking soda ( a powerful and useful combo when it comes to odors). I have to say, I have been trying to get him to improve his aim, but so far no such luck!

When my son was around 6 and I had this issue, I started keeping a spray bottle with diluted bleach in it on the back of the toilet. If I noticed any smell, I'd have him spray the bleach all around the toilet, the base, the hinges, the hinges on the lid, etc., and wipe it all dry with a paper towel. It did wonders to improve his aim! hope this helps!

1 / 3