Cat Pee Smell !!!!!!!!!!!

Hi! I'm hoping that someone will have some cleaning tips for me on how to remove a strong cat pee odor or at least lessen it from carpets. We are renting temporarily until we can move into our new house and the place we are in reeks of cat pee. My husband has had a horrible reaction to the cats that once lived here and he now has to take medication to clear up his eyes and the smell is just terrible. Thankfully, my kids haven't had a reaction, although I really hate picking cat hair off of my 6 month old baby's face! I have vacuumed and cleaned but it doesn't seemed to have helped. We have four months left of this and I don't know what to do. I grew up with cats and I know how hard it is to remove the smell. Any tips??!!

I am a L. late here, but if you already tried some of the ideas posted here, and they did not work, try this....mix a solution of 8oz of hydrogen peroxide, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 drop of liquid soap...mix well, and TOTALY soak the effected areas. You may have to do it more then once, and you can double the receipe. I had a big problem after a litter of kittens were born, and this is the only thing that actually worked!! And it's cheap!

COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN to the landlord - that is unsanitary and unacceptable. I would demand they replace the carpets!

Did you know about the cat pee when you moved in? Seems like the landlord needs to be the one taking care of this, not you! If the house smells like cat pee, so do you; think about that when you go out; and get that landlord to clean the carpet!

Nature's miracle works great. You can use a black light to find the areas where the urine is if you don't already know. I've used nature's miracle as a spot cleaner and have also added it our carpet cleaner where the soap goes. I've used it for years at home and also in vet's office and it did even get rid of the smell from tom cat pee, which is very strong. Also you can do a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water and that seems to help. I'm guessing you have talked to the landlord about the carpet smell?

Having a good quality air purifier can also help, since you are still pulling up cat hair there is probably cat dander too. We bought two last fall, since we found out our dog is allergic to wood smoke and we have a wood stove for much of our heat. She was drooling excessively and down right miserable if she was within about 30 feet of the stove, even if we didn't notice any smoke. With two air purifiers she no longer had problems. We have also had company that is highly allergic to cats (we have 3) and I vacuumed the day they were coming and with the purifiers they have not had any problems here or had to take any medication for allergies.

For the hair, vacuuming really well should get it all up, if it's not you might want to try a new vacuum or see if you can borrow someones that is better for pet hair. Assuming you moved in recently, vacuum everything, including furniture and moving furniture every day or every other day for a week or two and see if that helps. If your vacuum has filters check those and see if they need replacing or cleaning to help it pick up more.

I have used vinegar to spot treat, but never had to clean an entire carpet.
One of the problems is, that if the urine soaked into the floorboards (or drywall if this was a spraying male) the is NOTHING you can do to get rid of it, save replacing...
I feel your pain, our old apartment had fleas from the previous owners...

Updated

ooo If it is in the carpet, it is really going to be hard to get it out without taking the carpet out, because it is probably way into the matting. I would ask the landlord to have the carpet professionally cleaned. You should not have to live like that. They should have done it before you moved in. If they refuse, have it done and deduct it from your next rent payment and tell them and also document it.

You can try Nature's Miracle brand odor-remover- it's in most major pet stores and it claims to neutralize cat pee odor with enzymes that counteract the proteins in cat pee that make it smell so incredibly horrible. It's not perfect, but it helps.
I feel your pain. I used to have a cat who I loved and doted on, but she developed a serious kidney disease and couldn't make it to her litter box in time on a nearly daily basis. It broke my heart watching her sick, while causing my husband and I much discomfort and embarrassment- We felt like we couldn't even have friends over anymore, the smell was so strong. I had to get rid of some of my favorite pieces of furniture after going so far as having parts of one beloved, vintage chair professionally cleaned, tossing its cushions and having a foam/reupholstery place cut new ones, replacing covers, and yet still, the pee smell was in the back of the chair because my car would often be sleeping on the chair, suddenly need to go, and spray urine on the chair back when she got up, making even reupholstery not a great solution. When I found Nature's Miracle, I found that it did make a noticeable difference, but I still had to jettison far too much that was beyond saving. My cat eventually passed away of old age after we put up with this for many years, and we've since moved out of the house where she lived most of her life. Another thing I'm not clear on- You make it sound like cats don't live there any more, since you say "the cats that once lived here," yet you mention there's still cat hair in the house. In that case, it sounds like there's car hair in the heating ducts/ventilation system, which is not uncommon. It's worth hiring a duct-cleaning company to vac that stuff out! We did that shortly before our daughter was born and it was very worthwhile. Good luck!

I have no idea what to do but YUCK!!! So sorry! Call the landlord immediately! Get a break on the rent at least.

OUT! from walmart works well. I recommend getting a BIG bottle & really soaking your carpets with it. I would also recommend renting a carpet steam cleaner & steam cleaning the carpets. (After you use the OUT! stuff.)
But, before you do any of this I would recommend complaining to your land lord. I would do this for multiple reasons. 1. He should be paying to steam clean the carpets at the very least. 2. If steam cleaning doesn't remove the smell, then he should replace the carpets. Its possible (actually probable) that the cat pee soaked into the carpet pad in which case it would definitely need to be replaced. I don't think even steam cleaning would get that clean. He should have taken a deposit from the previous renters to cover damages & he should use that to fix the problem. 3. You don't want to be blamed for the problem later & have him try to charge you damages.

the best and cheapest way is to put vinegar in your rug cleaner washing all of it with that first then use a laundry soap after the rug has dried to clean up any lasting smells! I had one cat that never used the litter box for some reason and the vinegar worked the best!!

Call Redline C. in Spokane, WA ###-###-#### they remove pet odor and destroy the problem. Very effective and has excellent results.

If you go to a place that specializes in pet supplies like PetSmart, you can find a kit that will have a UV light and a solution that breaks down the enzymes from the urine. This really works but is kind of pricey, and if it was bad enough that it soaked through the carpet, through the pad and into the flooring below itprobably won't do much. If the urine smell is that strong it probably is a really bad case and probably not much you will be able to do, friends of mine that bought a home had to not only tear carpeting out of one room to get rid of the urine smell but also had to sand down the floors! No kidding! There is nothing that smells worse than cat urine, I am so sorry.

go to a pet store or a cleanig product store and it is called urine out and it works.

I know someone who owns a carpet cleaning business. I worked for her when I was between jobs. According to her - there is nothing you can do aside from tearing out the carpet (and possibly subfloor and sheetrock). She said that cat pee is the absolute worst - there is no quick fix. She recommended to her clients to buy a black light to see where the actual damage is. Cat pee shows up under the black light.

I agree with Barefoot Mama! We had a male cat that sprayed all over our comforter, and I was MAD! I went to Petco, and an employee recommended Simple Solution. I bought it and used it, and I have never used any product since! This stuff is awesome! It works.

I second the carpet cleaning. You can rent a machine if the people you are renting from won't do anything soon enough. SOAK the area(s) with a pretreater spray, I used bissel, its called pet stain and odor remover its great. Do not waste your money on Natures Miracle (sold at pet stores) I have heard nothing but bad things about it, and when I tried it myself it really did nothing to help the problem. There is really nothing like cat urine smell, I feel for you, hang in there!!

First I would talk to the landlord and ask them what they intend to do to get rid of the odor. It really shouldn't fall on you to get rid of it.

But here are some ideas that should help.
Vinegar is a great way to get the smell out. Just plain vinegar and if you can find exactly where the smells are it is better to spray or wet the area with the vinegar.
There are some products at Petsmart or Petco that can help get rid of the odor.

We had a cat that urinated all over our carpet. The best thing to use, and ONLY use, is Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution (PetSmart or Petco). They are enzymatic cleaners that break down the stain and the scent. If you have already used other things on the carpet, they might not work, but still try. Yes, get a black light- urine will glow- and treat those spots. You can also call a professional carpet cleaning service and have them come and work on it. My parents did that for a condo they just bought (previous owner had cats) and it worked. It's worth a shot!

Barefoot Books Team Leader
www.ReadandGrow.com

Use a steam cleaner to clean the carpets and tell the landlord. Ask them if they would be willing to take the money to have the carpets cleaned off of the rent? I think it would only be fair since the last tenants left it smelling like pee. This will help get rid of some of the hair,dander and some of the smell. Go to petsmart and get natures miracle which will help get rid of the smell. Get a air purifier also. It will also help with the air and the allergies your husband has. Good luck

Cat pee glows under a black light -- so if you think there are untreated spots that you could clean -- get a plug in black light and you will see the spots.

If the urine is down in the padding... there isn't going to be much you can do -- wetting the carpet could actually intensfy the smell. If you choose a carpet cleaning company you're going to need to be very careful who you pick -- a cheap steam company that doesn't know what it's doing will soak your carpet and could leave you worse off.

I used chaparral tea at our old apartment where the guy across the hall had an ostomy bag that leaked on the stairs. You can just go get some in most deserts, or find some at an herb shop. Anyhow, brew it up, throw it on, that's it.

Use an enzyme formula - found in pet supply stores. There is one called Simple Solution that I used and I think there is something called Nature's Miracle. The stuff isn't cheap, but it works! In fact, when one of my cats decided to use the new nursery as a litter box without me knowing, I had the carpets professionally cleaned. They said that whatever I used took it out, safely. Hope that helps!

I worked at PetSmart for 15 months, and I will tell you not to waste your money on Nature's Miracle. We had a LOT of customers claim it didn't work, and it did NOT work on our dog pee areas. Good news is, any product you purchase from PetSmart can be returned for a full refund with your original receipt for 30 days (yes, you can try it out, and they will still take it back if it has been used).

The blacklight will work. You may be able to get a blacklight with an enzymatic cleaner kit cheaper online than at a local pet store. Also try Walmart to see what they have, because they carry some of the same products the more pricey pet stores carry for significantly less money.

Good luck to you. Enjoy your new home when you can finally get into it!

OK--pee smell I can see lingering on, but cat HAIR???? You need to REALLY vacuum that place top to bottom especially if your husband is allergic. I would also take down & fluff/air dry any window treatments.
You can't be picking off hairs for 4 more months! Yuk!
As for the carpet smell, try Nature's Miracle. You can get it at a pet store. Or try (on a small patch first) Dawn Dish soap, baking soda and peroxide mixed together. Or white vinegar.

Whatever carpet cleaner you use, it will need to be an enzymatic cleaner or it will not work. Find a cleaner that states it is for body fluids. Any carpet place will have it in stock. Best of luck.

SCOE 10x worked for me. (google it for the site) You may hear some negative reviews, but it worked for me. I had a cat that peed on our couch and marked throughout the house. It worked for me, I still have the couch in out living room, even though there were at least 3 peeing episodes.

I have also used Oxy Clean. It was good, but not as effective.

Also, I think you need to talk to your landlord. Don't assume you will be rebuffed. I thought security deposits exsisted so that carpets could get replaced, etc. At least have him reimburse you for the cost of getting the smell out.

Just wanted to add something interesting that I found out from a prominenet allergist...It isn't the cat hair that people are allergic to, but their bodily fluids! Cat saliva and urine are what triggers allergies, so your poor hubby must be going out of his mind!

Nature's Miracle! You can find it at pet stores and it works great! When we moved into our house, our dog decided to pee on our carpet and then one of our 2 cats did the same. The smell was awful and I tried this stuff and it worked great! It even got the old, set-in stains up! And it's just a great product, guarateed to work...so if it doesn't work for you, they give you your money back! Good luck!