Cat Pee Smell !!!!!!!!!!!

Hi! I'm hoping that someone will have some cleaning tips for me on how to remove a strong cat pee odor or at least lessen it from carpets. We are renting temporarily until we can move into our new house and the place we are in reeks of cat pee. My husband has had a horrible reaction to the cats that once lived here and he now has to take medication to clear up his eyes and the smell is just terrible. Thankfully, my kids haven't had a reaction, although I really hate picking cat hair off of my 6 month old baby's face! I have vacuumed and cleaned but it doesn't seemed to have helped. We have four months left of this and I don't know what to do. I grew up with cats and I know how hard it is to remove the smell. Any tips??!!

I am a L. late here, but if you already tried some of the ideas posted here, and they did not work, try this....mix a solution of 8oz of hydrogen peroxide, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 drop of liquid soap...mix well, and TOTALY soak the effected areas. You may have to do it more then once, and you can double the receipe. I had a big problem after a litter of kittens were born, and this is the only thing that actually worked!! And it's cheap!

COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN to the landlord - that is unsanitary and unacceptable. I would demand they replace the carpets!

Did you know about the cat pee when you moved in? Seems like the landlord needs to be the one taking care of this, not you! If the house smells like cat pee, so do you; think about that when you go out; and get that landlord to clean the carpet!

Nature's miracle works great. You can use a black light to find the areas where the urine is if you don't already know. I've used nature's miracle as a spot cleaner and have also added it our carpet cleaner where the soap goes. I've used it for years at home and also in vet's office and it did even get rid of the smell from tom cat pee, which is very strong. Also you can do a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water and that seems to help. I'm guessing you have talked to the landlord about the carpet smell?

Having a good quality air purifier can also help, since you are still pulling up cat hair there is probably cat dander too. We bought two last fall, since we found out our dog is allergic to wood smoke and we have a wood stove for much of our heat. She was drooling excessively and down right miserable if she was within about 30 feet of the stove, even if we didn't notice any smoke. With two air purifiers she no longer had problems. We have also had company that is highly allergic to cats (we have 3) and I vacuumed the day they were coming and with the purifiers they have not had any problems here or had to take any medication for allergies.

For the hair, vacuuming really well should get it all up, if it's not you might want to try a new vacuum or see if you can borrow someones that is better for pet hair. Assuming you moved in recently, vacuum everything, including furniture and moving furniture every day or every other day for a week or two and see if that helps. If your vacuum has filters check those and see if they need replacing or cleaning to help it pick up more.

I have used vinegar to spot treat, but never had to clean an entire carpet.
One of the problems is, that if the urine soaked into the floorboards (or drywall if this was a spraying male) the is NOTHING you can do to get rid of it, save replacing...
I feel your pain, our old apartment had fleas from the previous owners...

Updated

ooo If it is in the carpet, it is really going to be hard to get it out without taking the carpet out, because it is probably way into the matting. I would ask the landlord to have the carpet professionally cleaned. You should not have to live like that. They should have done it before you moved in. If they refuse, have it done and deduct it from your next rent payment and tell them and also document it.

You can try Nature's Miracle brand odor-remover- it's in most major pet stores and it claims to neutralize cat pee odor with enzymes that counteract the proteins in cat pee that make it smell so incredibly horrible. It's not perfect, but it helps.
I feel your pain. I used to have a cat who I loved and doted on, but she developed a serious kidney disease and couldn't make it to her litter box in time on a nearly daily basis. It broke my heart watching her sick, while causing my husband and I much discomfort and embarrassment- We felt like we couldn't even have friends over anymore, the smell was so strong. I had to get rid of some of my favorite pieces of furniture after going so far as having parts of one beloved, vintage chair professionally cleaned, tossing its cushions and having a foam/reupholstery place cut new ones, replacing covers, and yet still, the pee smell was in the back of the chair because my car would often be sleeping on the chair, suddenly need to go, and spray urine on the chair back when she got up, making even reupholstery not a great solution. When I found Nature's Miracle, I found that it did make a noticeable difference, but I still had to jettison far too much that was beyond saving. My cat eventually passed away of old age after we put up with this for many years, and we've since moved out of the house where she lived most of her life. Another thing I'm not clear on- You make it sound like cats don't live there any more, since you say "the cats that once lived here," yet you mention there's still cat hair in the house. In that case, it sounds like there's car hair in the heating ducts/ventilation system, which is not uncommon. It's worth hiring a duct-cleaning company to vac that stuff out! We did that shortly before our daughter was born and it was very worthwhile. Good luck!

I have no idea what to do but YUCK!!! So sorry! Call the landlord immediately! Get a break on the rent at least.

OUT! from walmart works well. I recommend getting a BIG bottle & really soaking your carpets with it. I would also recommend renting a carpet steam cleaner & steam cleaning the carpets. (After you use the OUT! stuff.)
But, before you do any of this I would recommend complaining to your land lord. I would do this for multiple reasons. 1. He should be paying to steam clean the carpets at the very least. 2. If steam cleaning doesn't remove the smell, then he should replace the carpets. Its possible (actually probable) that the cat pee soaked into the carpet pad in which case it would definitely need to be replaced. I don't think even steam cleaning would get that clean. He should have taken a deposit from the previous renters to cover damages & he should use that to fix the problem. 3. You don't want to be blamed for the problem later & have him try to charge you damages.

the best and cheapest way is to put vinegar in your rug cleaner washing all of it with that first then use a laundry soap after the rug has dried to clean up any lasting smells! I had one cat that never used the litter box for some reason and the vinegar worked the best!!

1 / 3