Can You Freeze Corned Beef?

So here it is St. Patrick's Day again. The grocery stores are all having sales on corned beef, and my family LOVES the stuff. I'd love to take advantage of the sales, and buy extra and put it in the freezer. Has anyone done this? Can you freeze it in the package it comes in, or do you take it out, prepare it, and freeze it. There's so much liquid in the packaging, and I don't know if it's possible to freeze it straight from the grocery store.

Also, we like to eat our corned beef glazed. I use an apricot and soy glaze. De-lish! If you have any recipes to share, toss 'em out there!

freeze it in the package it comes in and enjoy it whenever. I've done it for years without any problems, as long as you don't thaw it and then refreeze it, all should be good. Its just like any other freshly packaged meat that you buy, take home and toss in the freezer for another day.

Just throw it in the freezer in the package it came in. I typically leave it in there for no less than 1-2 months. I know you can thaw it & cook it & then freeze it again if you need to. Once it's cooked & you freeze it, you should only re-freeze for 60-90 days. It breaks down after that.
LOVE CORNED BEEF!!!

Hi L.!
We just made our first corned beef ever last weekend & loved it! I was actually wondering the same thing about freezing it, but now that I've read your responses, I know just what to do! We made ours on Sunday in the crock pot & all we did was rinse it off really well, chop up a few onions & threw in some whole cloves of garlic then poured water to cover the meat. It cooked for around 7 or 8 hours. We removed the meat to let it rest (covered to keep it warm) & peeled a couple of pounds of small yukon gold potatoes & cut a good sized head of cabbage into wedges. Then we threw the potatoes & cabbage into a big pot, poured the cooking liquid including onions & garlic used to cook the meat over the veggies & boiled it for about 15 minutes. I'm having leftovers tonight since my husband is working some over-time & when I told him what I was having, he was really jealous! Happy St. Patty's Day to you!

i've been cooking for over fifty years and have tried many recipes for corned beef. the absolute best i have ever cooked is on the web and can be googled at "kiss me i'm irish corned beef" the. recipe uses dark beer/stout and irish whiskey, etc. if you buy cryovaced corned beef you can freeze it in the package and then,when ready to cook, simply put it frozen into whatever medium you are going to cook it in and have at it.

T. k.

I have frozen it in the package it comes in and have had no problem with it at all! My family loves it any time of the year. I usually put it in the crock pot and cook it all day or just cook it in the oven like a regular roast. I also usually wash some of the brine off of it as we have to be a bit careful about the salt intake here.

I don't know about freezing, but corned beef has a really long shelf life even if you just leave it in the fridge. Like, months for the 'sell-by' date. So if you're planning on having corned beef again within the next couple of months, you should be OK. Just check for the sell-by date to make sure you've got the time.

check this site out i just found for ya... (just copy and paste in u'r brower) http://www.askthemeatman.com/beef_freezer_chart_and_freez...

I always buy a few corned beef roasts in the package and put them in the freezer, liquid and all. They are right next to the Turkeys I bought around Thanksgiving while they where on sale. I had a corned beef in the freezer for 6 months and it was still delicious.

1 / 3