Burnt Sugar

Hi Moms,
I need some help with ideas for cleaning burnt sugar off of my flat-top oven. I was making fudge last night (which turned out fabulous!) but the combo of sugar, butter and canned milk overflowed the pan and I can't seem to get the burnt stuff off! Please help me with any ideas you may have. I tried good ol' soap and water, elbow grease, and baking soda. Nothing worked. It is really, really burnt on there. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas and support!!! Wow! Every time I ask a question on here (no matter what it is) I always get a great response! Thank you! So, I decided to order some special cooktop cleaner. It worked wonderfully, and it came with a razor to scrape off the burnt sugar. Unfortunately, I did not get to it soon enough because it (the burnt sugar) did pit the surface a little bit. It looks a lot better, and I will be able to use that burner again. The cleaner that I got is Cerama Bryte. Works great! Thanks again to all of you who helped me.

Hey J.,

I'd try a magic eraser sponge. Those things will remove almost anything...

There's some cleaner made specifically for flat-top ovens. I use it all the time. It can take anything off. You can find it at Target and Bed Bath & Beyond. I don't have the name handy, but it's found with the other cleaning supplies.

Yikes! Burned on sugar is the worst. It can permanently pit your glass-top stove. Try one of the cream cleansers made especially for polishing ceramic or glass-top stoves. Good luck!

you have enough suggestions here, just when you first do it, if there's a next time, hurry and get some hot/preferrably boiling water on it and get it off.

Is this a OVEN or a STOVE-TOP? If it is a stove-top then I agree with everyone who said use a straight edge razor. A plastic one came with my stove but I most often use an actual metal one. Be very careful to keep it absolutely flat and it shouldn't cause any damage. I have been cleaning up my stoves for 17 years this way. I did want to mention that it is not recommended to use any kind of soap or cleaner on the glass stove tops other than the cleaner that is made just for them. You will end up with small scratches and a haze that will never go away if you use the wrong cleaner. Also, spills that contain sugar will permanently etch the surface if you do not remove it quickly.
Take care,

Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Been there done that.

Do you have your stove-top manual? Mine said to watch out for sugary spills, because they can permanently pit the surface of the glass.

I highly recommend buying the cleaner that's specifically made for flat-top ranges. I usually hate doing that, thinking it's a waste of money. But I bought the cleaner and a value pack of scrubby pads made just for flat-tops, and it was only about $5. It's going to last me for just about ever, too, so I took the plunge.

Also, when somethings' really stuck on, I usually try to puddle water around it, or lay a sopping-wet rag on top of it for a long time. If it's really thick, I let it soak for an hour or more. Often, it will just wipe off after that. If it doesn't, a thick layer of it will wipe off and I repeat the soak to get the rest off. I love that it's quite effort-free :)

I pull out a flat edge razor blade when nothing else works. It doesn't scratch, so don't be afraid. Hold it slightly at an angle, and "push" the mess right off!

You can carefully use a razor blade and scrape it off.

1 / 3