Blood in Urine - Spokane, WA

Hello mama's,
I have a 4 year old daughter and I took her to the doctor yesterday and they said they found blood in her urine and that she could have kidney problems.... all news to me. She has never had anyone ever say anything like this before. She is a thriving young girl with no pains in her back or anything that you would associate with kidney problems.. please help if you have any advice on doing the testing they want to do or if you have ever heard of this - never a work on this and she is almost 5.

Thank you

It's not uncommon to have trace amounts of blood (or red blood cells) in the urine. Certain people are just "secreters". I found out that I'm a secreter when we did urine testing in my anatomy/physiology class several years ago. My urine showed positive for blood, so I went to the doctor to get tested. He referred me to a urologist, then told me I most likely had kidney or bladder cancer and would die (no, I'm not kidding). I left the office in tears, but after a visit to the urologist, found out I was just fine, and that this is fairly common, and nothing to be concerned about.

Needless to say, I never went back to that doctor again! Follow up with all recommended tests, but don't stress...it's probably nothing.

First, don't panic. Second, it COULD be kidney problems OR it could be similar to my daughter and I both who have blood in our urine even at +4 which is a lot, and it is all for no apparent reason. We are both a little more hypersensitive to salt, but to not have any other problems with our kidneys. Sometimes just a twisted ureter (the tube leading from kidney to bladder) is twisted, causing blood to show up. Also, I have been diagnosed with a very mild form of VonWillebrands, and that can cause blood to show up in the urine consistently. Your physician may order an IVP if there is not iodine sensitivity, which is a series of pictures to see how the contrast dye flows, so an I.V. but nothing more daunting that that. Most likely they will start with a repeat urine sample and they will look for white cells as well as red cells, a sign of infection.

Please let us know how she does.

My best,
T. Nelson CD

Blood in the urine is definitely something that should be thoroughly investigated. It can be a sign of a serious problem or, as others have noted, it can be a minor issue that does not require any intervention. You just want to get to the bottom of what is causing it.

I am sharing this next bit not to freak you out, but to let you know about the other side of the “it’s not a big deal” coin. My son had blood in his urine when he was 15 months old. It was the only outward sign that something was seriously wrong. After testing his urine at our pediatrician’s office we were sent to Seattle Children’s for further testing. An ultrasound revealed a mass on his left kidney and he was diagnosed with cancer. He is now 3 years post-treatment, cancer-free and doing great.

Definitely follow through with what your doctor is recommending. If an ultrasound is not on order, you may ask your doctor if she/he can order one. It’s painless, relatively inexpensive and great diagnostic tool.

Good luck with everything. Let us know what happens.

I too have trace amounts of blood in my urine for no apparent reason. Have the tests done, but it could be nothing.

My daughter has had the same problem on and off growing up. She is 12 now. Her GP never recommended anything and when I took her to a new Ped. they sent me to Mary Bridge Hospital for her to see Dr. Yonekawa. She is EXCELLENT. I highly recommend her. She's great with kids and she'll do the necessary tests to put your mind at ease.

1 / 3